COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, AUGUST 7, 2007
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – None received.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Supervisor Rockholm and Supervisor Holmes attended the funeral of fallen California Highway Patrol Officer, Douglas Scott Russell. Supervisor Uhler advised he attended the South Placer Regional Transportation Authority meeting last night in Yuba City regarding the Tier 1 EIR/EIS for the Parkway Project. There is another meeting in Roseville tomorrow night.
1. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING - Whisper Creek Residential Planned Development (PSUBT20070118) Tentative Subdivision Map/Rezone/Conditional Use Permit, Environmental Impact Report (PEIR T20040332) – Public hearing to consider a request from Baker-Williams Engineering Group, on behalf of Dry Creek Water Works, LLC, for the approval of a Tentative Subdivision Map and Conditional Use Permit for a 104-lot, single-family residential Planned-Development subdivision, eight open space lots, one open space/recreational lot, one private street lot and three landscape lots. The applicant also requests a rezone to add PD (Planned Development) to APN 023-260-006, 007 and 017. The property (APN 023-260-002, 006, 007, 017) is located at the south side of PFE Road, west of Don Julio Boulevard, in the Dry Creek West Placer area, and is currently zoned RS-AG-B-20, PD 2.0 (Residential Single Family, Combining Agricultural, Building Site size is 20,000 square feet, Planned Development two dwelling units per acre).
MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous to close the public hearing, adopt Ordinance 5479-B approving the rezone and certify the EIR based on findings and conditions. In the Findings, starting on page 9 of the agenda, strike all references to Planning Commission and replace with Board of Supervisors and strike all references to General Plan Amendment/Community Plan Amendment previously removed.
2. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING - General Plan Amendment Rezone - Paitich (PGPA T20050792) Mitigated Negative Declaration – Public hearing to consider a request from Ron and Barbara Paitich to consider a General Plan Amendment to change the General Plan designation from Agriculture 10 acre minimum to Rural Residential 1 to 10 acre minimum and a rezoning to change the current zoning from F-10 (Farm 10 acre minimum parcel size) to F-4.6 (Farm 4.6 acre minimum parcel size.) The property (APN 026-410-013-510) is located off Bell Road, between Cramer and Lone Star, directly across from Ranch Road in Auburn. A Mitigated Negative Declaration has been prepared for this project.
MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous to close the public hearing, Resolution 2007-271 adopted amending the Placer County General Plan, and Ordinance 5480-B adopted approving the rezone.
3. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING - General Plan/ Granite Bay Community Plan Amendment and Appeal of Planning Commissions Approval of a Conditional Use Permit/Vesting Tentative Map - Residences @ Granite Bay Golf Club, Phase II (PSUB T20050394) – Public hearing to consider an appeal by GW Consulting Engineers, on behalf of Douglas Group Inc., of the Planning Commission’s imposition of Condition of Approval #30 on the Tentative Subdivision Map for the project that requires a turn around at the gated entrance fronting East Roseville Parkway. The Board will also consider an amendment to the Granite Bay Community Plan to designate APN 465-140-004 as a "Density Receptor Parcel" to allow the transfer of 3 residential units from APN 048-083-023 to APN 465-140-004. APN #465-140-004 is located at the northwest corner of East Roseville Parkway and Barton Road, Granite Bay, and is currently zoned RS-AG-B-40 PD 1.1 (Residential Single Family, Agricultural, Building Site 40,000 square feet, Planned Development). The “Density Transfer Parcel” (APN 048-083-023) is located on the south side of Douglas Boulevard, approximately 0.2 mile west of Barton Road, Granite Bay, and is currently zoned RA-B-100 (Residential Agricultural, Building Site 100,000 square feet).
MOTION Uhler/Holmes/Unanimous to close the public hearing, accept withdraw of the appeal of Condition of Approval #30, and adopt Resolution 2007-272 amending the General Plan/Granite Bay Community Plan subject to Findings.
4. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING - Third-Party Appeal of Planning Commissions Approval of a Modification of a Minor Use Permit – Pescatore Winery (PMPM 20060909) Categorically Exempt (Class 1, 18.36.030 and Class 3, 18.36.050) – Public hearing to consider the third-party appeal from Laurence Graves, Mike Giles and the Neighborhood Rescue Group Association, of the Planning Commission approval of a Modification of a Minor Use Permit to allow wine tasting and wine sales by appointment in conjunction with a previously approved winery. The property (APN 031-161-028) is located at 7055 Ridge Road in the Newcastle area, and is zoned F-B-X 4.6 Acre Minimum (Farm, Combining Minimum Building Site of 4.6 acres).
MOTION Holmes/Rockholm/Unanimous to close the public hearing and deny the appeal subject to findings.
5. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/CAPITAL FACILITIES FINANCING PLAN:
a. Affirmed priorities for County Capital Facility Construction Projects through FY 2015/16 and provided direction to staff to proceed with capital financing recommendations for the projects.
b. Directed staff to initiate the preliminary work to issue certificates of participation for the South Placer Courthouse. MOTION Rockholm/Weygandt/Unanimous
6. CHILD SUPPORT SERVICES - Resolution 2007-266 adopted to reinstate service levels to the public for the main office in Auburn and the Tahoe Branch Office in Carnelian Bay, to Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., commencing September 3, 2007.
7. COUNTY EXECUTIVE – Approval of FY 2006/07 budget revisions to complete the accounting transactions for the fiscal year and the allocation of new funding to reserves and the Other Post Employment Benefits Trust.
1. Approved budget revisions necessary to complete accounting transactions for fiscal year ending June 30, 2007.
2. Approved allocation of $696,119 to the designation for fixed asset acquisition in FY 2006/07 that resulted from interest earned on the Capital Improvement Securitization Fund.
3. Approved increase in funding, in the amount of $975,484 to the designation for economic uncertainties in order to comply with Board adopted Budget and Financial Policies.
4. Approved budget revision adding funding to the County trust in response to GASB Statement #45 related to Other Post-Employment Benefits (OPEB), in the amount of $5 million.
8. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/COMMUNITY GRANTS & LOANS – Resolution 2007-267 adopted to apply for up to $4,000,000 in 2007 HOME Investment Partnership Funds for an affordable senior rental housing development near Tahoe City and authorize the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director, or designee, to sign documents subject to review by County Counsel.
9. FACILITY SERVICES/MAIN JAIL RE-ROOF PROJECT #4773 - Approved plans and specifications and authorized staff to solicit bids; Resolution 2007-268 adopted authorizing the Facility Services Director to award and execute a construction contract, in an amount not-to-exceed $420,200, upon review and approval by County Counsel and Risk Management and approve necessary change orders consistent with the County Purchasing Manual and Section 20142 of the Public Contract Code. Subject project is located in the Placer County Government Center in North Auburn.
10. PUBLIC WORKS/AWARD OF CONTRACT #1016, SR 49, HULBERT WAY IMPROVEMENT PROJECT (THE PLAZA) – Resolution 2007-269 adopted awarding the contract to the low bidder, Sierra Nevada Construction, in the amount of $3,487,007, for construction of the SR 49 Improvements at Hulbert Way from north of Luther Road to Kemper/New Airport Road; authorized the Chairman to execute the construction contract and authorized the Director of Public Works to approve and sign future change orders up to $500,000. MOTION Holmes/Rockholm/Unanimous
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
11. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY - Resolution 2007-270 adopted to re-commit up to $1,000,000 In North Lake Tahoe Redevelopment Project Area Housing Funds for an affordable senior rental housing development near Tahoe City and authorized the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director, or designee, to sign related documents subject to review by Agency Counsel.
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
12. SHERIFF - Approved Law Enforcement Services Contract, Amendment #1, to the three year contract with the Town of Loomis. The annual amount has been updated to reflect current known increases, except for pending deputy sheriff’s negotiated increases, in the amount of $1,282,810, for FY 2007/08. This is an increase of $83,056 or 7%. MOTION Holmes/Rockholm/Unanimous
13. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT
(A) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – The Board discussed.
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
(B) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(a) Porter vs. County of Placer HHS, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-19561 The Board discussed and gave direction to Counsel.
CONSENT AGENDA - (Items 14-25) – Consent Agenda approved with action as indicated.
14. AUDITOR/CONTROLLER - Resolution 2007-254 adopted approving a list of Funds/Sub Funds available in the Placer County Performance Accounting Series Financial System (PAS).
15. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS - Approved contract with Judith Marston to provide secretarial services to the North Auburn Municipal Advisory Council.
16. CHILD SUPPORT SERVICES - Resolution 2007-255 adopted proclaiming August 2007 as “Child Support Awareness Month” in Placer County.
17. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 07-057, Wangenheim, Nicholas, $62,578.67 (Personal Injury).
b. 07-058, Carpenter, Paul, Unstated amount (Personal Injury).
c. 07-078, Neep, Charles, Unstated amount (Personal Injury).
18. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Placer Sierra Fire Safe Council – Approved appointment of Lisa Russell to Seat 6 (Secret Town/Emigrant Gap), as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
b. Roseville Public Cemetery District – Approved reappointment of Eileen Uribe to Seat 2, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
c. Veterans Advisory Council - Approved appointment of Eugene Freeland, Veterans of Foreign Wars of South Placer, Post 904 and Richard Osgood, Veterans of Foreign Wars of Colfax, Post 1213, effective immediately.
19. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY:
a. Engineering & Surveying/Atwood Ranch III, Tract #927, Project #8275 – Accepted the subdivision improvements and traffic signal as complete; reduce the Faithful Performance 25% immediately upon approval and Labor and Material 50%, or the total of all claims, whichever is higher, for six months or longer if claims exist; Resolution 2007-256 adopted accepting Spur Lane, Vaquero Vista Drive, Bosal Circle, Caballo Circle, Orbeck Court, Richardson Drive and Lariat Ranch Road into the County Maintained Mileage System. The property is located south of Atwood Road in Auburn.
b. Planning - Authorized the County Executive Officer to execute a contract amendment with Hausrath Economics Group for additional funding, in the amount of $30,000, and for a total contract amount not to exceed $77,713, for the Placer Ranch Project.
c. Planning - Approved Refund Request PMLD 20070354 to Shelli King, in the amount of $1,200, to correct an over-charge on a Planning application.
20. COUNTY CLERK/ELECTIONS – Resolution 2007-257 adopted authorizing the Registrar of Voters to render election services for the McKinney Water District and the Placer County Superintendent of Schools (Loomis Union School District and the Ophir Elementary School District) on November 6, 2007.
21. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Administration – Approved 5% merit increase for Gregory Chinn, Juvenile Detention Facility Superintendent, from Step 2 to Step 3, at $40.73 per hour, retroactive to July 7, 2007.
b. Administration – Approved 5% merit increase for Michael Cholerton, Assistant Chief Probation Officer, from Step 3 to Step 4, at $47.62 per hour, retroactive to July 7, 2007.
c. Administration – Approved 5% merit increase for Richard Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive Officer, from Step 2 to Step 3, adjusted hourly rate to be $96.18, with longevity, retroactive to June 23, 2007.
22. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Sewer Maintenance District #1 - Resolution of Intention 2007-258 adopted setting the time and date to hold a public hearing to consider the annexation of property owned by Mary E. Bardellini, APN 038-121-022, 038-121-028, 038-121-029 into the district. Subject property is located on Blitz Road in Auburn.
b. Sewer Maintenance District #1 - Resolution of Intention 2007-259 adopted setting the time and date to hold a public hearing to consider the annexation of property owned by Timothy and Rhonda Boughton, APN 051-100-046, into the district. Subject property is located on Kemper Road in Auburn.
c. Sewer Maintenance District #1 - Resolution of Intention 2007-260 adopted setting the time and date to hold a public hearing to consider the annexation of property owned by Cobblestone Homes Inc., APN 051-090-031, into the district. Subject property is located on Kemper Road in Auburn.
d. Sewer Maintenance District #1 - Resolution of Intention 2007-261 adopted setting the time and date to hold a public hearing to consider the annexation of property owned by Lance Engelstad, APN 051-100-049, into the district. Subject property is located on Kemper Road in Auburn.
23. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Blanket Purchase Order #14088/Cisco Products & Services/Telecommunications - Renewed purchase order with AT&T/SBC DataComm, as a result of a competitively bid contract through the State, in the maximum amount of $235,000.
b. Surplus, Vehicles & Miscellaneous Equipment/Various Departments – Declared vehicles and miscellaneous equipment as surplus and authorized disposal by public sale.
24. PUBLIC WORKS:
a Abandonment - Resolution 2007-262 adopted to abandon an unaccepted Offer of Dedication requested by Ceronix Corporate Campus, North Auburn, for two Oak Preservation Easements.
b. Change Orders - Approved change orders to blanket purchase orders with Vulcan Materials, in the aggregate amount of $150,000, for asphalt concrete as a result of Competitive Bid #9648, and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign resulting change orders changing the maximum amount of the blanket purchase orders to $353,000 and $354,000.
c. Right-of-Way Contracts & Highway Easement Deeds - Resolution 2007-263 adopted approving two Right-of-Way Contracts and accepting two Highway Easement Deeds from Nabil Shehadeh for the Auburn Folsom Road Widening Project.
d. Stormwater Quality Program Signature Authority – Resolution 2007-264 adopted designating the Public Works Director to act as Program Administrator and granted signature authority in matters of communication with the State Regional Water Quality Control Boards and Water Resources Control Board.
e. Tahoe Pines Erosion Control Project, Contract #73246 – Resolution 2007-265 adopted accepting the project as complete and approving and authorizing the Public Works Director to execute the Notice of Completion.
25. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation in the amount of $450 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Child Advocates of Placer County, Court Appointed Special Advocates Program, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($200) and Supervisor Uhler ($250).
b. Approved appropriation in the amount of $1000 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Loomis Basin Chamber of Commerce, Eggplant Festival, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
c. Approved appropriation in the amount of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Rocklin Area Chamber of Commerce, 14th Annual Hot Chili & Cool Cars Event, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm and Supervisor Holmes ($250 each).
d. Approved appropriation in the amount of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Boys & Girls Club of Auburn, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
e. Approved appropriation in the amount of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Salvation Army of Auburn, Feed the Hungry Program, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
26. AUDITOR – Independent Accountant’s Report on the Treasurer’s Statement of Assets for quarter ending March 31, 2007.
ADJOURNMENT – The next scheduled meetings are budget workshops, August 13, 14, & 15, 2007. The next regular meeting is Tuesday, August 28, 2007.