COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, AUGUST 28, 2007
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Chairman Kranz.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Barbara Whiteman spoke about the need for senior rent Control in Placer County.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS - Supervisor Holmes advised that the Auburn City Council renamed the Auburn Multimodal Train Station after Robert Conheim, frequent Capitol Corridor commuter, who recently passed away.
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Washoe/Sunnyside, Tahoe City fire update and report from Chairman Kranz regarding Tahoe Regional Panning Agency related actions.
2. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ADULT SYSTEM OF CARE – Resolution 2007-278 adopted proclaiming September 2007 as National Alcohol & Drug Prevention, Treatment and Recovery Month.
3. FACILITY SERVICES/CONNECTION FEE INCREASES FOR SEWER DISTRICTS UTILIZING ROSEVILLE TREATMENT PLANTS - Public hearing closed. Received comments concerning a proposed adjustment to the regional portion of the connection fee for Sewer Maintenance District (SMD) 2 (Granite Bay area), SMD 3 (Auburn Folsom area), County Service Area 28, Zone 2A3 (Sunset Whitney) and County Service Area 28, Zone 173 (Dry Creek). Ordinance 5481-B adopted adjusting connection fees enumerated in Section 13.12.350 of the Placer County Code; made a finding pursuant to Section 21080(b)(8), of the Public Resource Code, that the higher fee is derived directly from the cost of providing service and is necessary to meet operating expenses required for maintenance of service and is, therefore, exempt from environmental review.
4. PUBLIC WORKS/COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/THE NORTHSIDE (North Star Tahoe):
a. Public Works/County Service Area 28, Zone 206 (Water Quality Monitoring) and Setting a Fee for Services – Public hearing closed. Resolution 2007-285 adopted creating Zone of Benefit 206 and setting charges, at a maximum cost of $306 per dwelling unit equivalent, to monitor surface and groundwater quality in the Martis Valley watershed.
b. Public Works/County Service Area 28, Zone 205 (Transit Services) and Setting a Fee for Services – Public hearing closed. Resolution 2007-286 adopted creating Zone of Benefit 205 and setting charges, at a cost of $36.47 per dwelling unit equivalent, to operate transit service in the Martis Valley. MOTION Holmes/Rockholm/Unanimous
c. Community Development Resource Agency/The Northside Phase 1, Tract #950 – Approved the final map, two subdivision improvement agreements and authorized the recording. Subject property is located at the intersection of Big Springs Drive and Northstar Drive in the Northstar at Tahoe ski area. MOTION Holmes/Rockholm/Unanimous
5. FACILITY SERVICES/SEWER MAINTENANCE DISTRICT 1 – Public hearings closed to consider the following:
a. Resolution 2007-287 adopted annexing the Mary E. Bardellini property, APN 038-121-022, 038-121-028, 038-121-029, into the district. Subject property is located on Blitz Road in Auburn.
b. Resolution 2007-288 adopted annexing the Timothy and Rhonda Boughton property, APN 051-100-046, into the district. Subject property is located on Kemper Road in Auburn.
c. Resolution 2007-289 adopted annexing the Cobblestone Homes, Inc. property, APN 051-090-031, into the district. Subject property is located on Kemper Road in Auburn.
d. Resolution 2007-290 adopted annexing the Lance Engelstad property, APN 051-100-049, into the district. Subject property is located on Kemper Road in Auburn
6. COUNTY EXECUTIVE – The Board convened the required public hearing on the FY 2007/08 Final Budget and took public comment. Public hearing closed and staff directed to prepare the resolution for presentation at the next Board meeting to adopt the Proposed Budget including the following revisions:
(1) Approved $8,613,315 net allocations in the County Budget; and
(2) Approved allocations for proprietary funds; and
(3) Approved items listed on the Master Fixed Asset List; and
(4) Approved the recommended Position Allocation Listing; and
(5) Approved reserve provisions and cancellations for county funds; and
(6) Approved allocations in Board of Supervisor governed special districts; and
Approved for inclusion in the final budget an addition to the Fixed Asset List items for Fleet and the Sheriff.
7. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Kings Beach Clinic Tenant Improvements, Project #9176 - Approved Plans and Specifications and authorized staff to solicit bids for the project; Resolution 2007-291 adopted authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute the resulting construction contract, in an amount not-to-exceed $370,506, upon review and approval by County Counsel and Risk Management, and to approve change orders, consistent with the County Purchasing Manual and Section 20142, Public Contract Code. MOTION Uhler/Holmes/Unanimous
b. The Main Jail Housing Unit 4 Plaster & Shower Remediation, Project #4623 - Authorized the Facility Services Director to execute construction contract with S.W. Allen Construction, Inc., in the amount of $1,068,692, upon review and approval by County Counsel and Risk Management, and to approve change orders, consistent with County Purchasing Manual and Section 20142, Public Contract Code, and approved a budget revision, in the amount of $631,966.
c. Sewer Maintenance District 1, Treatment Plant Digester Cleaning, Project #40207 - Approved the Plans and Specifications and authorized staff to solicit bids; Resolution 2007-292 adopted authorizing the Facility Services Director to award and execute the resulting contract, in an amount not to exceed $250,000, upon review and approval by Risk Management and County Counsel, and to approve contract change orders, consistent with the County Purchasing Manual and Section 20142, Public Contract Code. MOTION Uhler/Holmes/Unanimous
8. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ADULT SYSTEM OF CARE - Approved agreement with Advocates for the Mentally Ill Housing, Inc., from July 1, 2007 through June 30, 2008, in the amount of $128,600, for housing support services and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign the contract and subsequent amendments up to 10% of the total contract amount.
9. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Agreement - Resolution 2007-293 adopted authorizing the Chairman to execute Cooperative Agreement (03-0325) with California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) for the Sunset Boulevard/State Route 65 Interchange. MOTION Weygandt/Rockholm/Unanimous
b. Willow Creek Extension Project Contract #73265 – Resolution 2007-294 adopted authorizing the Public Works Director to approve contract change orders with Gabe Mendez Inc., for an increase not to exceed the amount of $370,000, for a total contract amount of $1,709,308.
10. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – Discussed the three actions brought against the County with regard to the approval of the Placer Vineyards Project. The Board received a status report from Counsel and gave direction.
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Sierra Club, et al. vs. Placer County, et al., Case No. SCV-21529.
(b) County of Sutter vs. County of Placer, et al., Case No. SCV-21488.
(c) Rob Collins, et al. vs. County of Placer, et al., Case No. SCV-21525.
(2) Anticipated Litigation: The Board met with County Counsel and received a report. The Board gave a report.
Initiation of litigation pursuant to subdivision (c) of Government Code §54956.9: one potential case.
(B) §54956.8 – CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR – The Board gave directions to staff with regards to the Rocklin Library.
Property: Rocklin Library, Negotiating Parties: County of Placer and City of Rocklin
Under Negotiation: Price, terms of payment and conditions of lease
(C) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – There was a brief discussion and update with regard to DSA discussions and labor.
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CONSENT AGENDA – Consent agenda approved with action as indicated.
11. ASSESSOR – Approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the City of Rocklin for joint parcel base updating and maintenance responsibilities within the City limits of Rocklin. The MOU is a cooperative arrangement for coordination and sharing of Geographic Information System parcel data that avoids duplication of certain updating activities.
12. AUDITOR/CONTROLLER – Resolution 2007-273 adopted approving the 2007/08 property tax rates for voter-approved indebtedness, pursuant to Government Code Sections 29100 and 29106.
13. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approved minutes of June 12, 26 and July 10, 2007.
14. CLERK RECORDER/ELECTIONS - Resolution 2007-274 adopted authorizing the Registrar of Voters to render election services on November 6, 2007, for the Sacramento County Superintendent of Schools (Grant Joint Union High School District/Proposed North Area Unified School District) for the portion of the Grant Joint Union High School District within Placer County.
15. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Building Appeals Board – Approved reappointment of Lee Buckingham to Seat 3 (District 3), as requested by Supervisor Holmes; Richard Wyatt to Seat 2 (District 2), as requested by Supervisor Weygandt and David Saydak to Seat 4 (District 4), as requested by Supervisor Uhler.
b. Foresthill Veterans Memorial Hall Board – Approved appointment of Clinton Weaver, Stephen A. Coffman (Alternate), Seat 1; Ramona Lee Wright-Schmiedel (Alternate), Seat 5 and the reappointment of Vincent Robinson, Travis Reed (Alternate), Seat 2; Francis Stevenson, John W. Clark (Alternate), Seat 3; Stephen Cannizzaro, Seat 4; Marjorie D. Jones., Seat 5 and Vicki Haskins Campbell, Larry Jordan (Alternate), Seat 6, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
c. Historical Advisory Board – Approved appointment of Tracy Falk to Seat 4 (District 4), as requested by Supervisor Uhler.
d. Lincoln Veterans Memorial Hall Board – Approved appointment of Thomas E. Davenport, George M. Schwartz (Alternate), Seat 1; Victor Ioppolo (Alternate) Seat 2, and the reappointment of Richard L. Lercari, Seat 2; Len Valasek, Bud Duncan (Alternate) Seat 3; Samuel Silvas and John McCulloch (Alternate) Seat 4; as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
e. Loomis Veterans Memorial Board – Approved the appointment of Lawrence Johnson (Alternate) Seat 2, and reappointment of Thomas I. Seth, Seat 1; Earl Chinnock, Seat 2; Russ Kelley, Seat 3; Ron Jarnagin, Seat 4; Robert Miller, Ruben Ramos (Alternate) Seat 6; and Geray M. Bressie, Seat 7, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
f. North Auburn Municipal Advisory Council – Accepted letters of resignation from Laurence Farinha, (Seat #2) and Todd Lindstrom, (Seat #7).
g. Planning Commission – Approved appointment of Richard A. Johnson (District 3), as requested by Supervisors Holmes and Laurence Farinha (District 5), as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
16. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY:
a. Engineering & Surveying/Cisco Grove Subdivision Phase 1, Tract #964 – Approved the final map and authorized recording of the project, located north of the Yuba River in Cisco Grove.
b. Engineering & Surveying/Loomis Ranch Phase II, Tract #925 – Approved the final map and authorized the recording of the project, located east of Sierra College Boulevard at Delmar Road.
c. Engineering & Surveying/Timilick Tahoe (aka Eaglewood) Phase 2A, Tract #963 – Approved the final map and subdivision improvement agreement and authorized the recording of the project, located off of Highway 267 in Martis Valley.
d. Planning - Approved Refund Request PMPM 20070189 to Roseville Design Group, in the amount of $1,419, to correct an over-charge on a Planning application.
e. Planning - Authorized the County Executive Officer to execute a contract amendment with Hausrath Economics Group for additional funding, in the amount of $20,000, for a total contract amount not to exceed $64,908.
17. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Administration – Resolution 2007-275 adopted proclaiming September 2007 as “Placer County Combined Giving Campaign Month” and authorized solicitation of County employees as part of the 2007 campaign.
b. Emergency Services - Approved agreement with VESTRA Resources, Inc., who had the winning bid for completion of work in the on-going update of Placer County’s Local Hazard Mitigation Plan, in the amount of $59,960, and authorized the Procurement Manager to sign.
18. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. B Avenue Extension, Project #4777 - Resolution 2007-276 adopted accepting the project as complete and authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute and record the Notice of Completion. Subject property is located in the Placer County Government Center, north Auburn.
b. Lease Agreement - Approved a Lease Agreement with B.B., LLC, a California Limited Liability Company, in the annual amount of $14,793.60, for the premises located at Store “D”, 8645 North Lake Boulevard, in Kings Beach, for occupancy by the Health & Human Services Department for the Women Infants and Children Program.
c. Lease Agreement - Approved a lease agreement with the Lee T. Leong and Daisy A. Leong Revocable Trust, in the annual amount of $232,945.92, for 375 through 379 Nevada Street, Auburn, for occupancy by the Health & Human Services Department.
d. Manhole Lining Rehabilitation, Project #40204, 2006/2007 - Resolution 2007-277 adopted accepting project as complete and authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute and record the Notice of Completion.
e. Purchase Order - Ratified a purchase order, in the amount of $450, for rental of temporary fencing at the Juvenile Detention Center, and approved payment to Security Contractor Services, Inc.
19. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult System of Care - Resolution 2007-278 adopted proclaiming September 2007 as National Alcohol & Drug Prevention, Treatment and Recovery Month.
b. Adult System of Care - Approved revenue agreement for in-patient treatment of Nevada County clients at the Cirby Hills Psychiatric Health Facility for FY 2007/08, in an amount not to exceed $250,000, and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments.
c. Community Health - Approved amendment to Blanket Purchase Order #13879 with Becton Dickinson Biosciences for FY 2006/07, increasing the maximum amount from $49,500 to $51,375, for the purchase of communicable disease testing reagents and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign.
20. PERSONNEL - Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, relating to position reclassifications and title changes as approved by the Civil Service Commission in the period April through July 2007 affecting the Community Development Resource Agency and the departments of the District Attorney, Facility Services, and Probation.
21. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Change Order, Vaccines/Health & Human Services – Approved Change Order #1 to Blanket Purchase Order #14256 with Glaxosmithkline, to increase the maximum amount from $48,000 to $65,500.
22. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Abandonment - Resolution 2007-279 adopted abandoning a portion of an overhead utility easement on Lot 14, Serene Lakes Unit #3, at the request of the lot owners.
b. Abandonment - Resolution 2007-280 adopted abandoning a portion of Schaffer Mill Road, located in the Lahontan Subdivision, due to a realignment of the road.
c. Agreement - Authorized the Chairman and Public Works Director to execute an agreement to reimburse Nevada County, in an amount of $43,362, for providing transit service between Auburn and Grass Valley.
d. Grant Application - Resolution 2007-281 adopted approving preparation of the California Tahoe Conservancy Planning Grant application, in an amount of up to $500,000, for mapping stormwater facilities and authorizing the Public Works Director to execute the grant documents for the 2007/08 grant funding cycle.
e. Grant Application - Resolution 2007-282 adopted approving preparation for California Tahoe Conservancy Site Improvement/Acquisition Grant application, in an amount of up to $1,000,000, and authorizing the Public Works Director to execute the grant document for the 2007/08 grant funding cycle. Grant funding will support right-of-way acquisition, and final design and construction of storm water quality improvements for the Brockway Erosion Control Project, located in the Brockway residential subdivision near Kings Beach.
f. Stormwater Quality Violations – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 8, Article 8.28, Section 8.28.190, to clarify enforcement provisions for Stormwater Quality violations.
23. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY:
a. Resolution 2007-283 adopted approving an amendment to contract with LFR, Inc., in the amount of $225,000, for a total amount not to exceed $700,000, for environmental services on various sites in North Lake Tahoe Redevelopment Project area and authorizing the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director to execute the amendment, subject to Agency Counsel review.
b. Redevelopment - Resolution 2007-284 adopted amending land dedication agreement with the Tahoe Yacht Harbor LLC, regarding the Tahoe City Marina public parking structure, and authorizing the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director, or designee, to sign documents, subject to Agency Counsel review.
24. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation in the amount of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Community Concert Association, 62nd Annual Concert Season, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Approved appropriation in the amount of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Mermaids, Synchronized Swimming Team, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
c. Approved appropriation in the amount of $400 in Revenue Sharing monies to The Gathering Inn, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($150) and Supervisor Uhler ($250).
d. Approved appropriation in the amount of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Keaton Raphael Memorial, Gold Ties and Tiaras Event, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
e. Approved appropriation in the amount of $1,350 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce, 6th Annual Lincoln Showcase, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($100) and Supervisor Weygandt ($1,250).
f. Approved appropriation in the amount of $600 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln Hills Community Association, Volunteer Trail Crew, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
g. Approved appropriation in the amount of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Loomis Basin Chamber of Commerce, Building Fund, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm and Supervisor Holmes ($250 each).
h. Approved appropriation in the amount of $200 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Rocklin Chamber of Commerce, Scramble for Scholars, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
i. Approved appropriation in the amount of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to Roseville Chamber of Commerce 12th Annual, “SPLASH 2007”, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
j. Approved appropriation in the amount of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to Rocklin Historical Society, St. Mary’s of the Assumption Catholic Church Renovation Project, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
25. SHERIFF – Adjusted the final budget, in the amount of $15,000, to upgrade a helicopter search light, and modified the Master Fixed Asset List and resulting budget revision to reflect the adjustment. Funds will be transferred from the helicopter maintenance within the Sheriff’s Department.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
26. AGRICULTURE – 2006 Agricultural Crop Report.
27. AUDITOR/CONTROLLER - Supplemental Law Enforcement Services Fund Report for 07/01/06-06/30/07.
28. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR - Treasurer’s Statement for the month of July 2007.
ADJOURNMENT – The next regularly scheduled meeting is Tuesday, September 18, 2007.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2007 MEETING SCHEDULE:
September 18, 2007
October 02, 2007
October 22, 2007 (Tahoe)
October 23, 2007 (Tahoe)
November 06, 2007
November 27, 2007
December 11, 2007