COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 18, 2007
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Anthony La Bouff, County Counsel.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Rosemary Frieborn, Friends of Placer County Animal Shelter, spoke about the need for a new animal shelter in Auburn.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Supervisor Rockholm spoke about a banner displayed in Tahoe thanking the Redevelopment Agency for its redevelopment efforts. Supervisor Rockholm congratulated Supervisor Weygandt for being inducted in the Lincoln High School Hall of Fame. Supervisor Weygandt stated he received a letter from the Lincoln Chief of Police thanking the Sheriff Department’s Special Enforcement, Hostage Negotiation’s Team for assistance with the prevention of a suicide attempt.
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a commendation honoring Placer Dispute Resolution Services for providing 15 years of services to the citizens of Placer County.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS/COMMENDATIONS:
a. Presentation of Resolution 2007-295 commending Deputy Walter Chatham, Sheriff’s Department, upon his retirement of nearly 31 years of service.
b. Presentation of a commendation honoring Sandra Elder for over 22 years of service representing District 1 on the Historical Advisory Board.
3. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a commendation honoring Placer County Water Agency for 50 years of service to the people and communities of Placer County.
4. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS - Received a briefing on the types of community services provided by The Gathering Inn, as presented by Suzi deFosset, Executive Director of The Gathering Inn.
5. PUBLIC WORKS/REGIONAL TRANSPORTATION FUNDING STRATEGY – Update on various funding strategies to provide necessary transportation improvements in Placer County.
6. COUNTY EXECUTIVE - Approved Memorandum of Understanding with Sacramento County that provides a framework to advance cross jurisdictional cooperation and enhance regional mobility while preserving the livability of our communities and neighborhoods.
7. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT - Authorized the Acting Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Contract #KN020717, Third Party Administrator Services/County Executive Office/Risk Management – Renewed with Gregory B. Bragg & Associates, as a result of competitive Request for Proposals #9260, in the amount of $285,000, to perform third party administrator services for the County’s Workers’ Compensation claims and litigation management.
8. AUDITOR/CONTROLLER - Awarded Request for Proposal #9661 to Empower Solutions for consulting services to assist in the PeopleSoft Application Upgrade of the ACORN System; approved budget revision to cancel $650,000 in reserves to provide funding for this upgrade; and authorized the Acting Purchasing Manager to execute related agreements, in the maximum amount of $650,000.
9. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Agreement - Approved agreement with the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association for FY 2007/08, in the amount of $5,193,543, to promote tourism and to recommend and fund infrastructure projects to enhance Lake Tahoe. MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous
b. Infrastructure Funds - Approved the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association’s proposed expenditure of budgeted infrastructure funds for interpretive signage at the Lake Tahoe Maritime Museum, in the amount of $250,000. MOTION Weygandt/Uhler/Unanimous
c. Final Budget FY 2007/08 – Approved Resolution 2007-308 adopting the FY 2007/08 Placer County Final Budget, in the amount of $792,210,179; and
1. Approved final budgets for County proprietary funds for a total of $77,899,955; and
2. Approved Resolution 2007-309 adopting final budgets of special districts governed by the Board of Supervisors in the amount of $37,034,516; and
3. Approved the County Master Fixed Asset List for FY 2007/08; and
4. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending the personnel allocations of various departments to reflect position changes approved for the FY 2007/08 Final Budget.
10. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. B Avenue Soil Testing and Remediation, Project #4794 - Approved agreement with Kleinfelder West, Inc., in an amount not to exceed $425,000, and authorized the Chairman to execute the agreement for the project located at the Placer County Government Center, Auburn.
b. Children’s Emergency Shelter Modular Classrooms, Project #4677B - Approved Plans and Specifications and authorized staff to solicit bids for the project; located in the Placer County Government Center, Auburn; Resolution 2007-310 adopted delegating authority to the Facility Services Director to award and execute a construction contract, in an amount not-to-exceed $300,000, upon review and approval by County Counsel and Risk Management, and delegating authority to approve change orders. MOTION Uhler/Weygandt/Unanimous
c. Restructuring Energy Service Contract & Ground Lease - Resolution 2007-311 approved adopting new business points and authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute a new agreement with Solar Power & Geothermal Energy, Inc., upon approval by County Counsel, restructuring the original agreement approved by the Board on September 26, 2006. Supervisor Uhler recused himself as he has financial interest and partial ownership interest by virtue of stock in the company. MOTION Rockholm/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Uhler temporarily absent)
11. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult System of Care - Approved Contract Amendment CN 011902-B with California Forensic Medical Group, extending the negotiated contract term for one year, from October 1, 2007 through September 30, 2008, for the provision of inmate medical services, in the estimated amount of $3,111,000, for the fourth year of the agreement.
b. Community Health - Resolution 2007-312 adopted approving the levying of an additional penalty of $2 for every $10 of base fines collected for certain criminal offenses and vehicle code violations to support emergency medical services, effective January 1, 2007. Further stipulations include declaring that these increased penalties will result in increased funding to the Maddy Emergency Medical Services Fund, and will not offset or reduce funding to other programs from other sources. MOTION Rockholm/Weygandt VOTE 4:1 (Uhler No)
12. PROBATION - Approved the renewal of negotiated Contract #BP014225 with Koinonia Foster Homes, Inc., of Loomis, in the maximum amount of $500,000, to provide a Crisis Resolution Center for at-risk minors and authorize the Acting Purchasing Manager to sign.
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
13. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY – Resolution 2007-313 adopted approving the Redevelopment Agency’s FY 2007/08 Final Budget, in the amount of $40,915,619.
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
14. SHERIFF - Approved Law Enforcement Services Contract, Amendment #1, to the three year contract between the Placer County Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal and the City of Colfax. The annual amount has been updated to reflect current known increases, except for adjustments related to the Deputy Sheriff’s Association (DSA) negotiations, in the total amount of $643,378, for FY 2007/08. This is an increase of $37,356, or 6.16%. Additional adjustments will be applied with a second amendment when costs are known from the DSA negotiations. MOTION Uhler/Weygandt/Unanimous
15. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR –
Directed staff to remove delinquent Dry Creek-West Placer Community Facilities
District special assessments from the 2006/07 property tax roll.
commence foreclosure proceedings on approximately 80 parcels that have not paid
delinquent special assessments by September 30, 2007. The property owners have
up to the day of foreclosure sale to redeem a delinquent parcel, including
special assessments and other fees and costs.
16. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Brigit Barnes, et al. vs. County of Placer, et al., U.S.D.C. Eastern District Case No.: cv-01678-LEW-JFM – The Board authorized defense be done by County Counsel Office to named employees and the County.
(2) Anticipated Litigation:
Initiation of litigation
pursuant to subdivision (c) of Government Code §54956.9:
two one potential
case s. The Board gave direction to Counsel.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – The Board did discuss DSA and Management matters and gave direction.
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 4-9) – Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated.
17. WARRANTS – Week ending July 6, 13, 20, 27, August 3, 10, 17, 24 and 31, 2007.
18. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. Public Works - Ordinance 5482-B adopted amending Chapter 8, Article 8.28, Section 8.28.190, to clarify enforcement provisions for Stormwater Quality violations.
a. Resolution 2007-296 adopted setting the 2007/08 appropriation limit for Placer County Operating Funds for 2007/08 at $663,912,731.
b. Resolution 2007-297 adopted setting the 2007/08 appropriation limit for Placer County Special Districts, governed by the Board of Supervisors, at $4,545,683.
20. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution 2007-295 adopted commending Deputy Walter Chatham, Sheriff’s Department, upon his retirement of nearly 31 years of service.
b. Proclamation declaring September 2007 as Prostate Cancer Awareness Month.
c. Proclamation declaring October 5, 2007 as California Arts Day.
d. Approved minutes of July 16, 23, 24 and August 7, 13, 14, 15, 28, 2007.
e. Approved Special Meetings on Monday, October 1, 2007 and Monday, October 22, 2007.
21. CHILD SUPPORT SERVICES - Approved a budget revision, in the amount of $40,000, to reflect a joint grant award to the Department of Child Support Services and the Placer County Superior Courts by the Placer County Air Pollution Control District for the 1058 Window Project; authorize Child Support Services to purchase video conferencing equipment and to compensate the Placer County Superior Court for their grant funded portion of the 1058 Window Project.
22. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following clams, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 07-064, Beth Armstrong, Unstated amount, (Personal Injury).
b. 07-091, Mulford, Shelene, $2,378.40, (Personal Injury).
23. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following application to present a late claim and their associated claim, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 07-086, Mroczkowski, Juanita, $19,800.00, (Personal Injury).
24. CLERK RECORDER/ELECTIONS – Resolution 2007-314 adopted appointing in lieu of election, individuals who completed the district director candidate filing process for the McKinney Water District, located in the Lake Tahoe area.
25. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Auburn Veterans Memorial Hall Board – Approved appointment of Eugene Walter Freeland (Alternate) Seat 7 and reappointment of Courtland Bradbury, Seat 1; Rose M. Agles, Bonnie Bradbury (Alternate) Seat 2; George Voyiatzes, Andrew Anderson (Alternate) Seat 3; Laurie A. Hubbard, Seat 4; H.L. Hap Arnold, Elmer Frank (Alternate) Seat 5; Jeanann R. Carlson, Coralle Arnold (Alternate) Seat 6; William B. Nolan, Seat 7; Helen Kleckner, Jean Wells (Alternate) Seat 8; Bonnie Potter (Alternate) Seat 10; and Terry Crouson, Michael Crouson (Alternate) Seat 11, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Colfax Veterans Memorial Hall Board – Approved appointment of John Hannigan, Richard L. Osgood (Alternate) Seat 2; Eric Blackmun, Delphie Mazankowski (Alternate) Seat 3; and reappointment of Bob Candler, Seat 1; Charles Gray, Tom Mason (Alternate) Seat 4; and Terri Sultana, Betty Lugena (Alternate) Seat 6, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
c. North Auburn Municipal Advisory Council – Approved appointment of Ken Gregory to Seat 2, as requested by Supervisor Kranz and David Keyes to Seat 7, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
d. Older Adult Advisory Commission – Accepted letter of resignation from Leonette Francia, Seat 5 and David Shirley, Seat 16.
e. Placer County Child Care Local Planning Council – Approved appointment of Alison Burt, Seat 8; Darlene Jackson, Seat 5; Kim Laehle, Seat 10 and reappointment of Susanna Lopez, Seat 9.
f. Roseville Veterans Memorial Hall Board – Approved appointment of Charles W. Peterson, Eugene M. Nauta (Alternate) Seat 2; Robert Lightfield, William Donaldson (Alternate) Seat 4; Anthony Whatley (Alternate) Seat 5 and reappointment of John Schance, John C. Smith (Alternate) Seat 1; John Piches (Alternate) Seat 3; William Snead, Seat 5; and Joseph Cavanagh, Monty Montoya (Alternate) Seat 6, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
26. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/NORTHSTAR HIGHLANDS PHASE 1, TRACT 948 - Approved the Final Map, Subdivision Improvement Agreement and authorized the recording of the project located in Lake Tahoe.
27. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Administration - Authorized the County Executive Officer to sign a contract with the Arts Council of Placer County, from July 1, 2007 through June 30, 2008, in the amount of $150,000, for arts activities and promotions.
b. Administration - Resolution 2007-298 adopted designating Arts Council of Placer County as Placer County’s Local Partner in the California Arts Council’s State/Local Partnership Program.
c. Administration - Resolution 2007-299 adopted amending Administrative Rules, Section 14.22, to authorize paid and unpaid student interns, who are designated by the department head, to operate County-owned vehicles.
d. Administration - Reviewed and considered formal response of the Board of Supervisors to the findings and recommendations of the 2006/07 Placer County Grand Jury – Burton Creek Facility Annual Inspection and authorized the Chairman to sign and submit the response to the Superior Court, Presiding Judge.
e. Administration – Approved 5% merit increase for Tim Wegner, Assistant Chief Building Official, from Grade 445, Step 1, to Step 2, at $39.36 per hour, effective September 15, 2007.
f. Economic Development - Resolution 2007-300 adopted in support of locating the new Cyber Command Center to Beale Air Force Base.
g. Emergency Services - Approved agreement with Truckee Fire Protection District, for a period of five years, at a rate of $20,000 per year, to provide staffing, stationing and operational management of the Placer County Eastern Division Hazardous Materials Response Team, and authorized the Acting Purchasing Manager to sign the resultant contract.
h. Emergency Services - Approved budget revision for a 12-inch wood chipper to be purchased with Placer County Air Pollution Control District Air Quality Mitigation Funds for the Placer County Fire Chipper Program, authorized Acting Purchasing Manager to solicit bids and sign a contract, in an amount not to exceed $35,000, and to add the chipper to the Master Fixed Asset List.
28. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Agreement - Approved use agreement with the Placer Union High School District authorizing the use of Park Dedication Fees from Recreation Area #15, Ophir/Newcastle, in the amount of $130,000, and Recreation Area #7, Loomis Basin, in the amount of $20,000, for renovation of the Del Oro High School/Community Sports Stadium Complex.
b. Agreement - Approved use agreement with the Placer Union High School District authorizing the use of Park Dedication Fees from Recreation Area #3, City of Colfax, in the amount of $150,000, for a track at Colfax High School.
c. Agreement - Approved use agreement with the Western Placer Unified School District authorizing the use of Park Dedication Fees from Recreation Area #11, Sheridan Recreation Area, in the amount of $25,000, for a Community Physical Fitness Course at Sheridan Elementary School.
d. Burton Creek Parking Lot Re-Surfacing, Project #4790 - Approved Plans and Specifications and authorized staff to solicit bids for the project, located in Tahoe City; Resolution 2007-301 adopted delegating authority to the Facility Services Director to award and execute a construction contract, in an amount not-to-exceed $175,000, upon review and approval by County Counsel and Risk Management, and delegating authority to approve change orders.
e. Purchase - Authorized purchase of a conveyor for the lead recovery system at the Auburn Justice Center shooting range, located in the Placer County Government Center, Auburn, and authorized the Acting Purchasing Manager to issue a purchase order, in the amount of $51,340, to Savage Range Systems, Inc.
f. Sewer Maintenance District #3 - Resolution of Intention 2007-302 adopted setting the time and date to hold a public hearing to consider the annexation of property owned by Nick Maggi, APN 037-101-051 into the boundaries of the district. Subject property is located on Auburn Folsom Road in Loomis.
29. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Community Health - Accepted a grant from the Area 4 Agency on Aging for FY 2007/08, in the amount of $25,000, to provide disease prevention and health promotion services to older adults, and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign the contract and related documents.
b. Children’s System of Care - Approved agreements with St. Helena Hospital and Sutter Center for Psychiatry, from FY 2007 through 2009, in an amount not to exceed $60,000 each, to provide inpatient hospital services and authorized the Health and Human Services Director to sign agreements and subsequent amendments up to 10% of the total contract amounts.
c. Environmental Health - Approved agreement for FY 2007/08 with El Dorado County, in the maximum amount of $96,500, for Placer County Environmental Health to provide continued local enforcement agency services, and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign the agreement and two future extensions for FY 2008/09 and 2009/10.
30. PROBATION - Approved contract with Elsan and Associates, in an amount not to exceed $70,209, for comprehensive evaluation of programs enacted under the Juvenile Justice Crime Prevention Act and authorizing the execution of the first of two option years under a contract originally approved by the Board of Supervisors in FY 2006/07.
31. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - Authorized the Acting Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Blanket Purchase Order #14189, CalWorks Information Network Printing & Mailing Services/Health & Human Services - Renewed contract with Document Fulfillment Services, awarded from a Sacramento County competitive contract, in the maximum amount of $64,000.
b. Blanket Purchase Order #14305, Septic Pumping & Vactor Truck Services/Facility Services – Renewed as a result of competitive Bid #9602 with APS Environmental, Inc., in the maximum amount of $100,000.
c. Blanket Purchase Order #14570, Waterborne Traffic Line Paint/Road Maintenance - Approved Change Order #2 with Ennis Paint Inc., awarded from a competitively awarded State of California contract, in the amount of $30,000.
d. Purchase Order, Maintenance of Cisco Network Infrastructure Equipment & Software Communications – Awarded to AT&T/SBC, utilizing a competitively bid State of California contract, in the amount of $89,619.16.
e. Request for Qualifications #9686, Plan Check Services/Building & Engineering – Awarded competitive request and adopt two (2) lists of qualified firms, effective for a three-year period.
f. Request for Qualifications #9689, Land Survey & Base Mapping Services/Public Works - Awarded competitive request and adopt a list of qualified firms, effective for a three-year period.
g. Sole Sourced Blanket Purchase Order #14150, Compressed Natural Gas/Public Works - Renewed with Southwest Gas Corporation, for the purchase of compressed natural gas as a motor vehicle fuel, in the maximum amount of $115,000.
32. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Change Orders - Approved change orders to blanket purchase orders with Vulcan Materials of Grass Valley and Vulcan Materials of Roseville, in the aggregate amount of $100,000, for asphalt concrete as a result of Competitive Bid #9648, and authorized the Acting Purchasing Manager to sign the change orders, changing the maximum amount of the blanket purchase orders to $378,000 and $429,000 respectively.
b. Local Transportation Fund Claim, FY 2007/08 – Resolution 2007-303 adopted authorizing the Chairman to execute the claim for Placer County Transit, Tahoe Area Regional Transit, and Road Maintenance, in the amount of $4,615,898.
c. Local Transportation Fund Claim, FY 2007/08 – Resolution 2007-304 adopted authorizing the Chairman to execute the claim for Tahoe Area Regional Transit, in the amount of $682,579.
d. Lozanos Road Bridge Replacement Project, Contract #73221 – Resolution 2007-305 adopted accepting the project as complete and authorizing the Public Works Director to execute the Notice of Completion.
e. Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) - Authorized the Chairman to execute a MOU to receive funding from the Town of Truckee for Tahoe Area Regional Transit bus service in FY 2006/07, in the amount of $42,000 and 2007/08, in the amount of $55,000.
f. Refund of Traffic Mitigation Fee – Approved a refund of $2,000 to Steven and Noah Schribner that was overpaid in error by the project applicant.
g. Traffic Accident Analysis System, Agreement #1019 – Resolution 2007-306 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign and approve agreement with Fehr and Peers, in the amount of $69,990.
h. Willow Creek Extension, Contract #73250 - Resolution 2007-307 adopted authorizing the Public Works Director to approve and execute Contract Amendment #1 with Vali Cooper & Associates, Inc., for an increase not to exceed the amount of $157,283, to the professional services agreement for construction management, inspection, materials testing and construction staking.
33. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation in the amount of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to The Gathering Inn, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
b. Approved appropriation in the amount of $750 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer Land Trust, 2007 Placer Harvest Celebration, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm, Supervisor Weygandt and Supervisor Holmes ($250 each).
c. Approved appropriation in the amount of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer Nature Center, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
d. Approved appropriation in the amount of $150 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Riding High Equestrian Program, 7th Annual Blue Jean Ball, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
e. Approved appropriation in the amount of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer Community Action Council, 5th Annual KidZKount Golf Classic, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
a. Accepted a donation from Raleys/Bel-Air, in the amount of $5,000, towards the specific purchase of a canine for the Placer County Sheriff Department’s K-9 Operations Unit and authorized the purchase in accordance with County’s Procurement policies and procedures.
b. Approved the FY 2007/08 Final Budget Revision, increasing Anticipated Revenue and Expenditures, in the amount of $62,287, for a program total of $215,242, for the Anti-Drug Abuse Enforcement Program grant for the Special Investigations Unit. The increase will be allocated for the remaining salaries and benefits needed to fully fund one Deputy Sheriff II ($10,745) and increased funding for a Senior Probation Officer ($51,542).
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
35. SACRAMENTO MUNICIPAL UTILITY DISTRICT – Notice of Intention to continue the Weather Resources Management Project.
ADJOURNMENT – The meeting was adjourned in memory of Gladys “Sandy” Poulsen, long time Squaw Valley resident. A Special Meeting is scheduled for Monday, October 1, 2007. The next regularly scheduled meeting is Tuesday, October 2, 2007.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2007 MEETING SCHEDULE:
October 01, 2007 (Special Meeting)
October 02, 2007
October 22, 2007 (Tahoe)
October 23, 2007 (Tahoe)
November 06, 2007
November 27, 2007
December 11, 2007