COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2007
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Thomas Miller, County Executive.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: David McClure, Kings Beach, provided a petition from Kings Beach residents regarding their support of the 4-lanes with street parking option for the Kings Beach Commercial Core Improvement Project
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – None given.
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a commendation to KAHI – Dial 950 AM radio station, “The Voice of the Foothills”, located in Auburn, California, celebrating its 50th Anniversary of broadcasting entertainment and information to the listeners in Placer, Nevada and El Dorado counties.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of Resolution 2007-355 commending Cindy Woodyard-Lowe, Health & Human Services, upon her retirement of 27 years of service.
3. PERSONNEL/EMPLOYEE SERVICE AWARDS – Recognition of employees with 20 years or more of County service, followed by a reception.
4. FACILITY SERVICES/SEWER MAINTENANCE DISTRICT #3 ANNEXATION - Public hearing closed. Resolution 2007-372 adopted annexing the Nick Maggi property, APN 037-101-051, into the boundaries of the district. Subject property is located on Auburn Folsom Road in Loomis.
5. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/COMMUNITY GRANTS AND LOANS - Public hearing closed. Resolution 2007-373 adopted authorizing submission of a $35,000 Community Development Block Grant, Planning & Technical Assistance Application to develop an economic development strategy and allocating $1,750 in matching funds from a Pacific Gas & Electric grant, subject to review by County Counsel. MOTION Rockholm/Uhler/Unanimous
6. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING– 430 NATIONAL LLC GENERAL PLAN AMENDMENT/REZONE (PREAT20070218) NEGATIVE DECLARATION – Public hearing to consider a request from Gary Taylor on behalf of 430 National LLC for a Rezoning involving realignment of the zoning boundary line and Community Plan designation to reflect TRPA Plan Area Statement (PAS) maps. This would rezone the property from Commercial (Placer County zoning maps) to Residential (TRPA PAS maps). The existing parcels were created in 1959 and contain a small residential structure (approximately 300 square feet with two bedrooms and one half-bath). The proposed General Plan Amendment and Rezone would allow for the demolition of the existing structure, replacing it with a larger single-family residential structure. The property (APN 117-090-026) is located at 430 National Avenue, Lot 25, Block P, Tahoe Vista, and is currently zoned 022 Tahoe Vista SA#5: Public Service/Industrial. The Board of Supervisors will consider the adoption of a Mitigated Negative Declaration for the project.
MOTION Rockholm/Weygandt/Unanimous to close public hearing, adopted the Negative Declaration, Resolution 2007-374 adopted approving the General Plan Amendment and Ordinance 5493-B adopted approving the Rezone.
7. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING – NORTHSTAR-AT-TAHOE PORCUPINE HILL SUBDIVISION (PSUBT 20051181) REZONE/MITIGATED NEGATIVE DECLARATION - Public hearing to consider a request from Booth Creek Holdings on behalf of Porcupine Hill Subdivision for a rezone of 60 acres currently zoned RS-5 Ac. Min. (Residential Single-Family, Combining 5-Acre Minimum Lot Size) as follows: 44.13 acres would be rezoned to RS-1(Residential Single-Family, one acre Minimum Lot Size), and 15.87 acres would be zoned to FOR-B-X 160-Ac. Min. (Forestry, Combining a 160-Acre Minimum Lot Size). The entire property (APN 110-030-061) is located east of Northstar Unit 6-C, (Skidder Trail) and the Northstar Golf Course. The Board of Supervisors will consider the adoption of a Mitigated Negative Declaration for the project.
MOTION Uhler/Holmes/Unanimous to close the public hearing, adopted the Mitigated Negative Declaration, Ordinance 5494-B adopted approving the Rezone, subject to findings.
8. FACILITY SERVICES/HISTORIC COURTHOUSE ROOF REPAIRS PROJECT - Authorized the Facility Services Director to enter into an agreement with the Administrative Officer of the Courts, in an amount not to exceed $275,000, to participate in the Historic Courthouse Roof Repairs in accordance with the Transfer Agreement, Section 220.127.116.11, Proportionate Share, and authorized the Facility Services Director to take all future actions to complete the project.
9. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/CHILDREN’S SYSTEM OF CARE - Resolution 2007-375 adopted approving the relocation and licensure of the newly-constructed Placer County Children’s Emergency Shelter and Physical and Behavioral Health Center, as required by the California Department of Social Services, Division of Community Care Licensing, and authorizing the Health & Human Services Director to submit materials to the State for licensure of the facility.
10. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Anticipated Litigation:
(a) Initiation of litigation pursuant to subdivision (c) of Government Code §54956.9: One potential case. – The Board received a staff report from Counsel and gave direction.
(b) Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to subdivision (b) of §54956.9: One case. – The Board received a report on the significant exposure to litigation and gave direction to Counsel.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – The Board met to discuss Labor Negotiations for the matter of PPEO & DSA.
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 3-7) – Moved Item 11b for discussion. Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. The Board convened as the Redevelopment Agency Board for Item 26.
11. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. Community Development Resource Agency/Building - Ordinance 5490-B adopted adopting the 2007 California Building Code, amending Article 15.04 of the Placer County Code in its entirety.
b. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION/Emergency
Ordinance amending County Code Chapter 9, Article 9.32, Fire
Prevention, by the addition of a new Part 4 entitled “Hazardous Vegetation Abatement
on Unimproved Parcels” with Appendix. (The proposed Ordinance is a “pilot
program,” only affecting four eastern slope fire protection districts/fire
departments for a one year period beginning February 1, 2008).
c. Personnel/Civil Service – Ordinance 5492-B adopted amending Chapter 3, relating to position allocations and classification changes, as approved by the Civil Service Commission, affecting the Community Development Resource Agency and the departments of Administrative Services, Assessor, County Executive Office, District Attorney, Facility Services, Health & Human Services, Public Works and Sheriff.
12. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES:
a. Competitive Bid #9739 – Approved award to CMS Communications, in the amount of $132,533, for the purchase of a NEC 2400 IPX Telephone System.
b. Grant - Resolution 2007-357 adopted accepting a $647,000 grant from the State of California, Governor’s Office of Homeland Security, to serve Phase III of the Countywide Interoperable Radio Network Project; authorized the Administrative Services Director to execute the grant documents and authorized a budget revision, in the amount of $647,000, to the Countywide System Fund budget unit.
13. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Commendation for KAHI – Dial 950 AM radio station, “The Voice of the Foothills”, located in Auburn, California, celebrating its 50th Anniversary of broadcasting entertainment and information to the listeners in Placer, Nevada and El Dorado counties.
b. Commendations for the Placer County Chaplaincy, honoring Elizabeth Selstad, Hawkeye Sharpe and Jerry Angove, for their contribution and service to the community, law enforcement officers and fire officials during times of crisis.
c. Resolution 2007-355 adopted commending Cindy Woodyard-Lowe, Health & Human Services, upon her retirement of 27 years of service.
d. Resolution 2007-356 adopted recognizing Mark McLemore for becoming the first Del Oro High School graduate to play Major League Baseball.
14. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 07-100, Andrade, Fernando, $1,052.91, (Property Damage).
15. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following application to present a late claim and their associated claim, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 07-070, Haddox, Warren, $4,025, (Property Damage).
b. 07-108, Wills, Melinda, Unstated amount, (Property Damage).
16. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Historical Advisory Board – Approved appointment of Michael Bryant to Seat 1, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
b. Older Adult Advisory Committee – Approved reappointment of Annabell McCord to Seat 3, Trudi Riley-Quinn to Seat 6, Kitty Hollitz to Seat 10, Gloria Plasencia to Seat 13, Michael Alward to Seat 19 and Nancy Vasquez to Seat 22.
17. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/ENGINEERING & SURVEYING:
a. Engineering & Surveying/Agreements - Authorized the Acting Purchasing Manager to sign agreements with six outside consulting firms, (Bureau Veritas, Willdan, Harris & Associates, P&D Consultants, SCG Consultants and Coastland), in the amount of $20,000 each, to provide on-call consultant plan check services for civil improvement plan review and authorized the Acting Purchasing Manager to transfer funds between the agreements.
b. Engineering & Surveying/Mt. Judah Residential Expansion, Phase 1, Tract #940, Project #DFF 1287 - The department inspected the construction of all improvements within the project, located off Donner Pass Road in the Sugar Bowl Ski Resort area, and find the work to be in accordance with the approved standard. A revised Subdivision Improvement Agreement has been provided for security associated with a revision to the original phasing plan. The Board accepted only the improvements associated with Phase 1 as complete; authorized the Chairman to sign the revised Subdivision Improvement Agreement and authorized the recording.
c. Engineering & Surveying/Northstar Highlands, Phase 1, Tract #948, CUP 20050009, Project #8386, “Trailside Townhomes”. The department inspected the construction of all improvements within the project, located off Highway 267 in the Northstar at Tahoe ski area, and find the work to be in accordance with the approved standards. The Board accepted the improvements as complete, reduced the Faithful Performance to 25% immediately upon approval and Labor and Materials to 50%, holding six months or longer if claims exist; and authorized the Engineering & Surveying Director to execute a Deferred Improvement Agreement with developer for ancillary incomplete improvements.
d. Engineering & Surveying/Northstar “Highlands” Project, Highlands View Road Segment 1, DPN 8313/Highlands View Road Segment 2, DPN 8378 - Accepted the improvements as complete and authorized the Engineering & Surveying Director to execute a Deferred Improvement Agreement with developer for ancillary incomplete improvements. The property is located in the Northstar at Tahoe ski resort area.
e. Planning/Lakeview Farms Hunting & Fishing Preserve Project - Based upon an action by the Placer County Superior Court, the Board of Supervisors adopted Resolution 2007-358 to set aside certain aspects of the Board’s prior approval of the project.
f. Planning/Refund Request PMPC20070661 - Approved a refund request for Rita Dehart, in the amount of $2,142, associated with a minor use permit exemption verification and health site evaluation.
g. Planning/Refund Request PMLD20070399 - Approved a refund request for Ed King, in the amount of $1,200, to correct an over-charge on a Planning application.
18. COUNTY CLERK/ELECTIONS:
a. Contract - Approved contract with SouthTech Systems, Inc., in an amount not to exceed $85,990, for acquisition and implementation of software to provide campaign and disclosure document management, tracking and web publishing/public viewing access; authorized additional equipment, system maintenance and support costs; approved a budget revision for reimbursement of $70,305 in increased costs from Recorder trusts, and added all project acquisition costs to the Master Fixed Asset List.
b. Presidential Primary Election – Resolution 2007-359 adopted calling the February 5, 2008 Presidential Primary Election and authorizing the County Clerk-Recorder-Registrar of Voters to render election services for certain special district, school district and city elections requested to be combined with the February 5, 2008 Election.
19. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Administration/Placer County Capital Facilities Impact Fee Annual Report - Resolution 2007-360 adopted accepting the annual report for 2006/07.
b. Administration/Classification Specifications – Approved the revised Personnel classification specifications for the positions of Assistant Director and Deputy Director of Public Works. The changes will remove language associated with the Engineering and Surveying Department which now resides under the Community Development and Resource Agency and will expand the emphasis on management expertise.
c. Administration/Merit Increase – Approved a 5% merit increase for John Marin, Director of Community Development Resource Agency, from Grade 677, Step 4 to Grade 677, Step 5, at $77.92 per hour, effective October 27, 2007.
20. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Agreement Amendment - Approved Amendment #1 to Agreement #11983 with the Loomis Union Elementary School District to modify the agreement term and to add a mutual termination clause, as required for use of State grant funds and authorized the Chairman to sign. The agreement provides for development, use and maintenance of Franklin School Community Park located adjacent to Laird Road in the Loomis/Granite Bay area.
b. Auburn Ravine Sewer Video Inspection, Project #40210 - Resolution 2007-361 adopted accepting the project as complete, and authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute and record the Notice of Completion.
c. Grant Fund Applications - Adopted three resolutions (Resolution 2007-362, 2007-363 and 2007-364) approving applications for grant funds from the Sierra Nevada Conservancy Proposition 84 Grants Program, funded by the Safe Drinking Water and Supply, Flood Control, River and Coastal Protection Bond Act of 2006 and appointed the Facility Services Director as agent for the County to execute the documents.
d. Rejection of Bids - Rejected all bids for Project #40213, 2007/08 Trenchless Technology Sewer Rehabilitation and authorized staff to re-bid the project.
21. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Animal Services - Authorized the Health and Human Services Director to sign spay and neuter grant agreements, in the amount of $2,000 each, with Animal Spay & Neuter, Auburn Area Animal Rescue Foundation, and FieldHaven Feline Rescue, for a combined total of $6,000, to be paid by the Placer County Trust Fund for Animals.
b. Children’s System of Care – Resolution 2007-365 adopted proclaiming November 2007 as Adoption Awareness Month in Placer County.
22. LIBRARY - Approved the 5:00 p.m. closure of Placer County Library Branches on Wednesday, November 21, 2007, due to the Thanksgiving holiday.
23. PERSONNEL - Authorized the County Executive Officer to sign a consultant services contract, in an amount not to exceed $100,000, for human resource services provided by Mary Egan for the Health and Human Services Department.
24. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - Authorized the Acting Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Blanket Purchase Order #14009, Environmental Laboratory Services/Facility Services - Approved Change Order #1 to purchase order with Weck Analytical Environmental Services, in the revised maximum amount of $70,000.
b. Competitive Bid #9735, Dorm Furniture for Children’s Emergency Shelter/Facility Services - Awarded to This End Up Furniture Company, in the amount of $55,736.97.
c. Purchase Order, 10 Cleaire Horizon Emission Control Devices, Parts & Installation/Public Works - Approved the sole source award to Cummins West, Inc., in the maximum amount of $128,513.75.
25. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Abandonment - Resolution 2007-366 adopted abandoning portions of drainage easements on Parcels 1, 2 and 5 of Parcel Map P-75965, Thunder Valley Casino Parking Lot, to be replaced with new relocated drainage easements.
b. Agreement – Resolution 2007-367 adopted approving a Parking Management Agreement between the Placer County Public Works Department and the Placer County Redevelopment Agency, in the amount of $11,300, to enforce public parking lot restrictions at (Brook Avenue and Minnow Avenue in Kings Beach and Jackpine Street in Tahoe City) and authorized the Public Works Director to sign.
c. Auburn Folsom Road Widening Project, Contract #73168 - Resolution 2007-368 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign and execute Amendment #3, with Dokken Engineering, in the amount of $110,851.
d. Willow Creek Extension, Contract #73265 – Resolution 2007-369 adopted accepting the Willow Creek Extension project as complete and approving and authorizing the Public Works Director to execute the Notice of Completion.
e. Grant Application - Resolution 2007-370 adopted approving preparation of the Sierra Nevada Conservancy Competitive Site Improvements grant application and authorizing the Public Works Director to execute the application document in accordance with grant requirements.
26. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY – Resolution 2007-371 adopted approving an agreement between the Redevelopment Agency and the Public Works Department, to enforce public parking lot restrictions at (Brook Avenue and Minnow Avenue in Kings Beach and Jackpine Street in Tahoe City), in a not to exceed amount of $11,300, and authorized the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director, or designee, to execute the agreement and related documents subject to Agency Counsel review.
27. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation in the amount of $150 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Oakmont High School, 2008 Sober Grad Night, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
b. Approved appropriation in the amount of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to The Auburn Education Foundation, Grant Program, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
c. Approved appropriation in the amount of $750 in Revenue Sharing monies to the 2007 Festival of Lights Parade, Downtown Auburn, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
d. Approved appropriation in the amount of $1,000 in Revenue Sharing monies to the High Sierra Resource Conservation District for the USDA Mandarin Synephrine Study, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
e. Approved appropriation in the amount of $300 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Senior Independent Services, 12th Annual Fall Brew Fest, to benefit the following services for seniors; Meals on Wheels, senior transportation, home safety repairs, and information and assistance, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
***End of Consent Agenda***
The following item was moved for discussion:
11. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
b. Emergency Services – Ordinance 5491-B adopted amending County Code Chapter 9, Article 9.32, Fire Prevention, by the addition of a new Part 4 entitled “Hazardous Vegetation Abatement on Unimproved Parcels” with Appendix. (The proposed Ordinance is a “pilot program,” only affecting four eastern slope fire protection districts/fire departments for a one year period beginning February 1, 2008). MOTION Uhler/Rockholm/Unanimous
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
28. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR - Treasurer’s Statement for the month of September 2007.
ADJOURNMENT - Next meeting is Wednesday, November 7, 2007. Next regular meeting is Tuesday, November 27, 2007.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS MEETING SCHEDULE:
November 07, 2007 (Chevreaux)
November 27, 2007
December 11, 2007
January 08, 2008
January 22, 2008