COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 2008
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1, Vice Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Thomas Miller, County Executive.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Michael Lee, Roseville resident, entered petitions into the record that support protecting land.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Chairman Holmes said a report on the Boards recent trip to Drexel University in Philadelphia and to Washing D.C. to meet with Federal Legislators would be provided at the next meeting. Supervisor Uhler advised Placer County Counsel has been directed to prepare a letter to Nevada County stating that all parties to the Joint Powers Authority have an obligation to Golden Sierra Job Training Agency and we expect them to honor that obligation.
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of resolution 2008-32 commending Tim Farmer for more than 25 years as a Placer County employee with the Health and Human Services Department.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a commendation recognizing the Sierra College “Wolverines” Wrestling Team for winning the 2007 State Championship.
3. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/AGRICULTURAL PRESERVE AND WILLIAMSON ACT CONTRACT/McLaughlin (PAGP 20070692) - Public closed to consider a request from John and Jerrie McLaughlin to approve an Agricultural Preserve and Williamson Act Contract. The property (APN 076-010-022) is located at 11400 Cramer Road in North Auburn, and is zoned F-B-X-10 (Farm combining minimum building site 10-acres).
MOTION Weygandt/Uhler/Unanimous adopting Resolution 2008-47 creating Agricultural Preserve and execution of a Williamson Act contract with adopted Findings.
4. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH – Public hearing to consider revising the permit, annual facility monitoring and inspection fees, as well as one-time construction plan check and inspection fees, in order to cover the cost of services; adopt a resolution containing the fee schedule for Land Development Services; adopt a resolution containing the fee schedule for certain services; and adopt an ordinance deleting and replacing Chapter 2, Section 2.116.100 of the Placer County Code regarding Fees for Environmental Health. (Continued from 2-5-08)
MOTION Kranz/Uhler/Unanimous to continue the hearing to April 29, 2008 at 10:00 a.m.
5. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/COMMUNITY GRANTS AND LOANS/REDEVELOPMENT:
a. Community Grants and Loans - Public hearing closed. Resolution 2008-48 adopted accepting as complete Planning and Technical Assistance studies for the Newcastle-Ophir Business Development Strategy. MOTION Rockholm/Uhler/Unanimous
b. Redevelopment - Accepted a report on the Status of the North Auburn Redevelopment Project.
c. Redevelopment - Public hearing closed. Resolution 2008-49 adopted authorizing a 2007-2008 Community Development Block Grant, Over-the-Counter application in the amount of up to $2,000,000 for Rock Creek Plaza public improvements in North Auburn.
6. COUNTY EXECUTIVE – Determination of appropriate labor relations bargaining unit for Deputy Probation Officer classifications based on petition received from Placer Public Employees Organization (PPEO) and petition received from Deputy Sheriffs Association (DSA).
It was noted during the introductory staff remarks that PPEO and DSA representatives met and stipulated to staff’s recommendation and attested to that agreement on the record during the meeting.
MOTION Rockholm/Weygandt/Unanimous finding that the PPEO Professional Unit is an appropriate bargaining unit and that the proposed DSA bargaining unit split putting the Deputy Probation Officers in their own DSA unit is an appropriate bargaining unit, under the policies and standards set forth in the County’s Employer-Employee Relations Policy, Article II, Section 8. Both determinations are subject to the outcome of the upcoming election for severance and exclusive representation of the Deputy Probation Officer employees. The actual appropriate bargaining unit will coincide with the representation decision
7. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Competitive Bid #9766/Annual Vehicle Purchase/Public Works, Fleet Services - Awarded to Broadway Ford, Future Ford, Senator Ford, and Weaver Auto in the total aggregate amount of $1,081,940.01. MOTION Kranz/Weygandt/Unanimous
ADJOURNED AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENED AS THE IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY
b. Contract/Health, Dental, & Vision Insurance/Health & Human Services, In-Home Supportive Services – Renewed contract with Symetra Life Insurance Co. for health, dental and vision insurance for Homecare Workers in the maximum amount of $947,050.
ADJOURNED AS THE IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY AND
RECONVENED AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
8. FACILITY SERVICES/PROPERTY MANAGEMENT/JB MANAGEMENT, L.P. OFFICE BUILDING – The Board took the following actions associated with the acquisition and interior build-out of 4.8± acres of real property containing a 60,850± square foot office building located adjacent to the Bill Santucci Justice Center (SJC), in the City of Roseville:
1. By 4/5ths vote, delegated authority to the Director of Facility Services to prepare and execute an Agreement of Purchase and Sale between the County and JB Management, L.P., (JBM) based on the attached Material Terms, for the acquisition of approximately 4.8± acres including a 60,850± square foot office building (Building B) and associated site improvements within a portion of APN 017-123-066, within the City of Roseville, in the amount of $13,910,416.
2. Resolution 2008-45 adopted authorizing the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, to execute all documents and take such other actions as may be necessary or appropriate to implement the above-described action, to disburse funds associated with this transaction, and record the Grant Deed for said property.
3. Resolution 2008-46 adopted:
a. Adopting findings that the construction of interior improvements for the occupancy of County departments and subsequent tenant improvements for future occupants is exempt from competitive bidding under the California Public Contract Code, on the grounds that it is impractical to bid and that the public interest will not be served by bidding the project.
b. Authorizing Gold Country Management, Inc. to act as the County’s contractor to construct interior improvements pursuant to those construction drawings dated November 8, 2006, and as modified by Bulletin #1 dated January 29, 2008 (Interior Improvements), and for construction of subsequent tenant improvements for future occupants through June 30, 2010, subject to the Board’s approval of lease agreements for said future tenants.
c. Authorizing the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, to execute documents, subject to review and approval by County Counsel and Risk Management, and take such other actions as may be necessary or appropriate to implement the above described actions, including but not limited to execution of a construction contract with Gold Country Management, Inc. (GCM) for Interior Improvements in an amount not-to-exceed $7,140,972 and providing authority to approve any necessary change orders consistent with the County Purchasing Manual and Section 20142 of the Public Contract Code.
4. Approved a budget revision to complete the funding for the purchase of this property and Interior Improvements.
5. Approved the addition of the property to the Master Fixed Asset List.
9. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/CHILDREN’S SYSTEM OF CARE:
a. Approved the award of a contract resulting from Request for Proposals No. 9747 for a Transitional Housing Placement-Plus (THP-Plus) Program for housing assistance and intensive services to emancipated foster youth in an amount not to exceed $1,568,000 to Whole Person Learning for the period from March 1, 2008 through June 30, 2010 and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments not to exceed $50,000.
b. Approved a budget revision to increase the budget and appropriate state revenue in the amount of $124,000 for the current fiscal year. MOTION Kranz/Uhler/Unanimous
10. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/COMMUNITY HEALTH & CLINICS/FUNDING/PUBLIC HEALTH PROGRAMS - Authorized the Chairman to sign revenue agreements, and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments, for consolidated public health services in 14 programs with 23 funding streams:
a. #07-65603 with the California Department of Health Care Services for $10,453,190 for the period from July 1, 2007 through June 30, 2012;
b. #07-65036 with the California Department of Public Health for $5,791,650 for the period from July 1, 2007 through June 30, 2010; and
c. #06-55841 with the California Department of Public Health for $1,097,158 for the period from May 1, 2007 through September 30, 2008.
ADJOURNED AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENED AS THE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
11. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD/REAL PROPERTY PURCHASE & SALE AGREEMENTS – Resolution 2008-50 adopted and approving findings (1) approving the assignment and assumption of Real Property Purchase and Sale Agreements for the real property located at 325, 348, and 385 Deer Street, Kings Beach, 265 Fox Street, Kings Beach, and 200 Chipmunk Street, Kings Beach; (2) authorizing the purchase of 325, 348, and 385 Deer Street, Kings Beach for $1,400,000; 265 Fox Street, Kings Beach for $880,000; and 200 Chipmunk Street, Kings Beach for $1,690,000; plus related escrow costs in an amount not to exceed $25,000; (3) approving a budget revision to the FY 2007-08 Redevelopment Agency Budget in the amount of $3,995,000; and (4) authorizing the Chief Assistant CEO–Redevelopment Director or designee to sign all assignment and assumption agreements and any documents related to the aforementioned real property transactions.
ADJOURNED AS THE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENED AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
12. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – No discussion
a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CONSENT AGENDA (Items 13 thru 32) – Consent agenda approved with action as indicated. The Board convened as the Redevelopment Agency Board for Items #29 a, b, and c.
13. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. Personnel/Proposition F – Ordinance 5502-B adopted implementing the required salaries for the classifications covered by Proposition F and other associated law enforcement classifications, effective February 1, 2008, at 5:01 p.m. Percentage increases by classification are as follows: Undersheriff 5.52%; Assistant Sheriff 5.52%; Captain 5.55%; Lieutenant 5.51%; Sergeant 5.65%; Chief Deputy Coroner 4.19%, Deputy Sheriff I/II 4.19%; Investigator 5.64%; Investigator Welfare Fraud 5.64%.
14. WARRANT REGISTERS – Weeks ending January 11, 18, 23 and 25, 2008.
15. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES - Approved Change Order #2 with CMS Communications, in the amount of $30,800 for purchase of an Automatic Call Distribution and Global Navigator Management Information System.
a. Resolution 2008-34 adopted discharging accountability for the collection of sixty six (66) delinquent Public Works, Road Division accounts totaling $90,116.71 that are no longer collectible as prescribed by Government Code 25257.
b. Resolution 2008-35 adopted increasing the limit of Auditor approved refunds from $1,000 to $5,000 pursuant to Government Code Section 26906.
c. Resolution 2008-36 adopted authorizing the County Auditor-Controller to audit, allow or reject claims as authorized by California Government Code 29741.
17. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approved proclamation declaring April 19-26, 2008 as “Creek Week” in Placer County.
b. Resolution 2008-33 adopted commending Janice Forbes as recipient of the 2007 Placer Conservator Award.
c. Resolution 2008-32 adopted commending Tim Farmer for more than 25 years as a Placer County employee with the Health and Human Services Department.
d. Approved minutes of January 22, 2008.
18. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 08-014, Morrissey, Ed, $1,274.05 (Bodily Injury).
b. 08-020, Allstate Insurance (Meyers), $1,800 (Bodily Injury).
c. 08-028, Vaughan, Robert, In excess of $10,000 (Personal Injury).
19. CLERK RECORDER/ELECTIONS – Resolution 2008-37 adopted authorizing the Placer County Clerk-Recorder-Registrar of Voters to render election services for elections to be held June 3, 2008.
20. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Placer Sierra Fire Safe Council – Approved the appointment of Manny Gonzales to Seat 3 representing Placer Hills Fire District.
b. Sheridan Municipal Advisory Council – Approval to Post Vacancy on Seat #1 on the Sheridan Municipal Advisory Council.
21. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/PCPMT20070758 – Approved a request to withdraw an appeal of the modification of a Conditional Use Permit for the Lookout Mountain/Martis Camp Chairlift Project submitted by East-West Partners.
22. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Approved a 5% merit increase for Kristen B. Spears, Assistant Assessor, from Grade 474 Step 4 to Grade 474 Step 5 at $63.84 per hour, retroactive to January 19, 2008.
b. Approved a 5% merit increase for Christiana N. Darlington, Deputy County Counsel II, from Grade 457 Step 3 to Grade 457 Step 4 at $ 51.33 per hour, retroactive to February 2, 2008.
c. Approved a 5% merit increase for Keely Scanlan, Information Technology Manager, from Grade 457 Step 3 to Grade 457 Step 4 at $ 51.33 per hour, retroactive to February 16, 2008.
d. Approved a budget revision in the amount of $35,156 and add video conferencing system equipment to the master fixed asset list.
e. Approved amendment to the Contract Employment Agreement for operation of the Placer-Lake Tahoe Film Office to provide cost of living increase of 5% awarded to Unclassified County Management Employees effective November 10, 2007.
23. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES:
a. Ratified Northstar Community Service District Ordinance 25-08 – Adoption of the 2007 California Fire Code and direct staff to transmit your determination.
b. Resolution 2008-38 adopted approving the 2007-2008 update of the South Placer Fire Protection District Capital Facilities Plan which contains 3.5% increase in mitigation fees based on the change in value of the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers.
24. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Property Management – Approved a lease amendment with Lake Canyon Limited Partnership, for a total annual amount of $26,524, to facilitate a move of Probation Department staff between suites in the building located at 7252 North Lake Boulevard in Tahoe Vista, CA, and authorize the Chairman to sign.
b. Property Management – Approved a lease amendment with the City of Roseville for a total annual amount of $22,809, for County Probation Department office space within the City of Roseville Police Station located at 1051 Junction Blvd, Roseville CA, and authorized the Chairman to sign.
c. Environmental Engineering - Approved Deal Points for an extension to the agreement with Auburn Placer Disposal Service for garbage collection services in Franchise Areas 1 & 4 (Western Placer County) and authorized staff to enter into negotiations for the extension.
d. Environmental Engineering - Approved an agreement with Bennett Engineering Services, Inc., in an amount not to exceed $47,830, for professional engineering services supporting the West Placer Regional Wastewater Project, and authorized the Chairman to execute the Agreement.
e. Environmental Engineering – Approved an agreement with Bennett Engineering Services, Inc., in an amount not to exceed $92,720, to serve as Placer Nevada Wastewater Authority Executive Director, and authorize the Chairman to execute the Agreement.
f. Environmental Engineering - Approved an agreement with SCS Field Services for operation and maintenance of the landfill gas systems at the Meadow Vista, Loomis, and Eastern Regional Landfills for an amount not to exceed $142,336, and authorized the Chairman to sign.
g. Environmental Engineering - Resolution of Intention 2008-39 adopted setting the time and date to hold a public hearing to consider the annexation of property owned by Frank and Ann Calabretta, APN 051-100-035 and 051-100-036 located on Atwood Road in Auburn, into the boundaries of Sewer Maintenance District 1.
h. Environmental Engineering - Approved an agreement with Jones & Stokes Associates, Inc., in an amount not to exceed $168,333 for the preparation of a joint Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Impact Statement for the Applegate Pipeline Project, and authorized the Chairman to sign.
i. Construction Management - Approved Amendment #1 to Agreement #12271 with Harris & Associates, Inc. for construction management services at the Department of Public Works at Cabin Creek Building Phase, Project #4625C and authorized the Chairman to execute the Amendment increasing the contract by $239,825, for a total contract cost not-to-exceed $569,825.
25. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/CHILDREN’S SYSTEM OF CARE - Approved amendments to increase Contract #CN005319 with Dr. Beverly Abramowitz by $4,200, changing total employee compensation from $136,625 to $140,825, and to decrease Contract #CN005329 with Dr. Mai Nguyen by $3,000, changing total employee compensation from $124,946 to $121,946 to provide 32 weeks of standby physician coverage, and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign.
26. PUBLIC WORKS/ABANDONMENT/PUBLIC UTILITY EASEMENT – Resolution 2008-40 adopted abandoning a portion of a Public Utility Easement on Lot 183, Chamberlands Subdivision Unit E, in the Homewood area.
27. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Request for Qualifications #9749/Community Development Resource Agency – Approved award of Competitive Request for Qualifications for preparation of Environmental Impact Reports and adopted a List of Qualified Firms.
b. Blanket Purchase Order 14567 & 14569/Safety Supplies/Emergency Services - Renewed Blanket Purchase Orders, as a result of Competitive Bid #9549 with Empire Safety & Supply, Inc., in the maximum aggregate amount of $179,900.
c. Change Order/Aftermarket Auto Parts/Public Works, Fleet Services - Approved Change Order #1 to Blanket Purchase Order #14513, with Riebes Auto Parts LLC, increasing the maximum amount by $25,000 for a revised maximum amount of $120,000.
28. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY - Resolution 2008-41 adopted with specific findings required by California Health and Safety Code Section 33445 for the purchase of 325, 348, and 385 Deer Street, 265 Fox Street and 200 Chipmunk Street, Kings Beach, subject to review by County Counsel.
29. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD:
a. Resolution 2008-44 adopted approving the Relocation Plan for eligible tenants and the Replacement Housing Plan for 8788-8790 North Lake Boulevard, Kings Beach, CA, and authorized the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or designee to sign all related documents and issue relocation benefits pursuant to the approved Relocation Plan.
b. Resolution 2008-43 adopted designating Rock Creek Plaza in North Auburn as a Location of Area Blight.
c. Resolution 2008-42 adopted authorizing the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or designee to execute a Property Management Agreement with Domus Management, LLC, an Option Agreement with Domus Development, LLC to acquire property from the Redevelopment Agency, amendments to the existing Exclusive Negotiating Rights and Predevelopment Loan Agreements with Domus Development, LLC for scattered-sites housing in Kings Beach, and all related documents.
30. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation of $1,000 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Acres of Hope “A Taste for Hope” as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($250), Supervisor Holmes ($250) and Supervisor Uhler ($500).
b. Approved appropriation of $350 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer High School Safe and Sober Grad Night 2008 as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($100) and Supervisor Holmes ($250).
c. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Roseville Historical Society Support Local Veterans Program as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
d. Approved appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Sierra College Foundation A Taste of Excellence Event as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
e. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Sportsmen’s Legacy Foundation Scholarship Program as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($250) and Supervisor Weygandt ($250).
f. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Roseville Police Officers Association Honor Guard Unit as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
a. Approved a budget revision for the dive and boating equipment grant from the Department of Boating and Waterways in the amount of $40,000, for Edward N. Bonner, Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal to execute contract documents related to the grant and for the Purchasing Manager to execute any purchasing documents related to these purchases.
b. Approved a budget revision and modify the Master Fixed Asset List for a snowmobile for Search and Rescue in the amount of $7,500. Funds would be moved from within the Sheriff’s Department Search and Rescue program.
32. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR:
a. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Placer County Code Chapter 2 Article 2.24.020, allowing annual delegations of authority by resolution to invest certain funds under the control of the Board to the Treasurer pursuant to Government Code Section 27000.1, as well as delegation of authority for 2008.
b. Approved the temporary borrowing of Treasury funds, in the estimated amount of $5,000,000 for FY 2007/08, by the Dry Creek Joint Elementary School District, Fund 400, sub-fund 006, as prescribed by the California State Constitution.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
33. AUDITOR/CONTROLLER - Continuing Disclosure Certificates for Certificates of Participation:
a. Juvenile Detention Facility and Jail.
b. Administrative and Emergency Services.
c. South Placer Justice Center.
34. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR – Treasurer’s Statement for the month of January 2008
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2008 MEETING SCHEDULE:
March 11, 2008
March 18, 2008 (Strategic Planning)
March 25, 2008
April 14, 2008 (Tahoe)
April 15, 2008 (Tahoe)
April 29, 2008