COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, MARCH 11, 2008
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1, Vice Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FOR A COMPLETE RECORD OF THE PROCEEDINGS (VIDEO AND AUDIO)
GO TO www.placer.ca.gov Board of Supervisors, Board Meeting Video
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Chairman Holmes.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Robert J. Spiegel, Field Representative to Congressman John T. Doolittle introduced himself.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Supervisor Uhler reported on the Golden Sierra Job Training Agency and South Placer Regional Transportation Authority meetings. Supervisor Kranz reported on the National Association of Counties Legislative Conference. Supervisor Rockholm reported on the Washington, DC Advocacy Trip and a request to submit our article on our radio system upgrade to go to the International Association of Chief’s of Police magazine. Chairman Holmes reported on CPR Saturday.
Supervisor Kranz questioned how to get an item on the agenda if refused by the Chairman. Anthony La Bouff, County Counsel, explained the Chairman determines what items are placed on the agenda; however, an item could be added today with a 4/5’s vote. Motion was made by Supervisor Kranz to add to the agenda, a request to send a letter to the Governor requesting the appointment of Senator Tim Leslie to the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency. Motion died for lack of a second. Chairman Holmes stated any Supervisor that wishes to support the issue can send a letter on their own.
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a Commendation honoring the Meadow Vista based “LEGO Guards” team members for winning first place in the FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) LEGO League (FLL) Northern California State Tournament.
2. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/CHARTER REVIEW COMMITTEE - Reviewed salary comparisons for county supervisor as supplemental information to the recommendations of the Placer County Charter Review Committee as directed by the Board of Supervisors on January 8, 2008.
County Counsel to prepare sample draft ordinances for review at a meeting in April or May.
3. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Rejection/Cancellation/Award Competitive Bid #9780/Five 10-Wheel Dump Trucks/Public Works, Fleet Services - Ratified the rejection of all bids and cancellation of Competitive Bid #9744 and awarded Competitive Bid #9780 with Sacramento Truck Center, in the amount of $581,022.28. MOTION Weygandt/Uhler/Unanimous (VOTE 4:0 Kranz temporarily absent).
b. Purchase Order/Caterpillar 140M Motor Grader/Public Works, Fleet Services - Awarded Purchase Order awarded from a National Joint Powers Alliance Competitive Contract with Holt of California, in the amount of $309,654.66.
MOTION Uhler/Weygandt/Unanimous (VOTE 4:0 Kranz temporarily absent).
4. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/TELECOMMUNICATIONS/SHERIFF - Approved the sole source award of Phase III, Step A of the Countywide Interoperable Radio Network Project, in the amount of $3,460,294 to Motorola, Inc., for the purchase of digital radio infrastructure; authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting contracts with Motorola Inc. upon County Counsel approval; approved a modification to the Sheriff Department’s Master Fixed Asset List in the amount of $523,000 to the appropriate accounts within the Public Safety Fund, COPS Grant; approved two Budget Revisions in the amount of $1,339,294 and $1,598,000 to the appropriate accounts within the Countywide Systems Fund and Sheriff Department’s budget units respectively; added the appropriate components to the Master Fixed Asset List; and authorized the Director of Administrative Services, the Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal and the Purchasing Manager to take all other actions necessary to implement the project.
5. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Phase I, South Placer Adult Corrections Facility, Project #4764:
1) Authorized staff to submit an application to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) Corrections Standards Authority (CSA), Public Safety and Offender Rehabilitation Services Act of 2007 in the amount of $9,389,606, to provide funding to assist in the construction of a 220-bed housing unit as part of the South Placer Adult Correctional Facility; and
2) Resolution 2008-57 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign the application, designating the County Construction Administrator, Project Financial Officer and Project Contact Person and making various assurances to the CDCR/CSA required by the grant.
b. Tahoe Government Center, Site Selection - Approved the following actions associated with the Tahoe Government Center (TGC) Site Selection:
1. Eliminated Lot 1 of the Joerger Ranch subdivision in Martis Valley from further consideration;
2. Directed staff to monitor B.B. LLC’s application to the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency (TRPA) Community Enhancement Project (CEP), and work with B.B. LLC to better quantify development costs; and
3. Directed staff to continue to pursue economical opportunities for development of the TGC.
6. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Auburn Folsom Road Widening, South Phase Project, Contract #1001 - Resolution 2008-58 adopted authorizing the Chairman to award and execute the construction contract with Teichert Construction for $4,682,909 and authorizing the Director of Public Works to approve contract change orders up to 10% of the contract amount. MOTION Uhler/Weygandt/Unanimous
b. Cook Riolo Road Bridge Project, Contract #73161, Amendment #1 – Resolution 2008-59 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign and execute the contract amendment with Quincy Engineering, in the amount of $376,296.44 increasing the total contract amount, including this amendment, to $885,000.
MOTION Rockholm/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Uhler temporarily absent).
c. Brockway Erosion Control Project – Resolution 2008-60 adopted approving the Agreement of Purchase and Sale in an amount of $500,000, which is 100% funded by the California Tahoe Conservancy, and accepting the Grant Deed from Suzanne and Donald Grappo.
7. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Existing Litigation – The Board discussed the matter and gave direction to Counsel.
(a) John and Cassandra Springer vs. County of Placer, et al.,
U.S.D.C. Eastern District, Case No.: 2:06-CV-00310-GEB-DAD
2. Anticipated Litigation – The Board received a report from Counsel and gave direction.
(a) Initiation of litigation pursuant to subdivision (c) of Government Code §54956.9: one potential case.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – The Board took up Labor Negotiations and gave direction to its Labor Negotiator.
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director, Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
(C) Adjourned as the Board of Supervisors and convened as the Redevelopment Agency Board.
1. Anticipated Litigation – The Board gave direction with regards to potential litigation on behalf of the Redevelopment Agency.
(a) Initiation of litigation pursuant to subdivision (c) of Government Code §54956.9: one potential case.
Adjourned as the Redevelopment Agency Board and convened as the Board of Supervisors.
CONSENT AGENDA (Items 8 thru 20) – Item 9a moved for discussion. Consent agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. MOTION Uhler/Weygandt/Unanimous
8. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. Treasurer/Tax Collector - Ordinance 5503-B adopted amending Placer County Code Chapter 2 Article 2.24.020, allowing annual delegations of authority by resolution to invest certain funds under the control of the Board to the Treasurer, pursuant to Government Code Section 27000.1, as well as delegation of authority for 2008.
a. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION
Fixed Asset Annual Inventory
Exceptions - Resolution 2008-51 adopted to remove fixed assets from the
County’s financial records, total value $1,526.
b. Discharge of Accountability for Collection of Accounts/Public Works, Placer County Transit - Resolution 2008-52 adopted to discharge from accountability for the collection of ten delinquent accounts totaling $339.44, that are no longer collectible as prescribed by Government Code 25257.
10. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approved minutes of February 5, 2008.
b. Approved a Commendation honoring the Meadow Vista based “LEGO Guards” team members for winning first place in the FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) LEGO League (FLL) Northern California State Tournament.
c. Approved a Proclamation declaring April 19, 2008 as the 5th Annual “Lincoln Creeks Day” in Placer County.
11. CHILD SUPPORT SERVICES:
a. Blanket Purchase Order #14519 - Issued a change order to increase the existing Blanket Purchase Order with LexisNexis by an additional $10,000 and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting Change Order.
b. Fixed Asset - Approved the addition of one Tandberg HD Camera to the Master Fixed Asset List in the amount of $6,397.44, for the Videoconferencing 1058 Window Project between the Department of Child Support Services and the Placer Superior Courts.
12. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 07-010, Huff, Madeleine, $100,000 (Bodily Injury).
b. 08-032, Essex, Monty, $7,500 (Personal Injury).
c. 08-040, Myers, Victor, $1,800 (Property Damage).
13. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the timely portion of the following claim and the Application for Leave to Present a Late Claim and its underlying untimely claim, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 08-023, Morgan, Ms., Not Stated (Personal Injury).
14. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the Application for Leave to Present a Late Claim and its underlying claim, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 08-024, Morgan, Ms., Not Stated (Personal Injury).
15. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. County Parks Commission – Approved posting vacancy of Seat #1, representing District 1.
b. Weimar/Applegate/Colfax Municipal Advisory Council – Approved appointment of John Gagnon to Seat 2, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
c. Roseville Public Cemetery District – Approved reappointment of Sylvia Besana to Seat 1, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
16. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/ ENGINEERING & SURVEYING:
a. Northstar Deferred Improvement Agreement/Refund - Approved the release of interest earned on a security deposit, in an amount not to exceed $300,000, to Northstar Iron Horse LLC (NIH), and authorized the Treasurer/Tax Collector and the Director of Engineering and Surveying to take actions necessary to release the final amount of interest up to the actual date of refund.
b. Snow Ranch Subdivision, Tract #962 - Approved the final map, Subdivision Improvement Agreement, and authorized the recording. Subject project is located South of Edgewood Road near Auburn city limits.
17. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Sewer Maintenance District 1 - Resolution of Intention 2008-53 adopted to set a time and date to hold a public hearing to consider annexation of property owned by the State of California, California Conservation Corps property (APN 075-140-002, 075-140-008, 075-140-009, 075-140-011) into the district. Subject property is located on Christian Valley Road, Auburn.
b. Clean Air Grant Application - Resolution 2008-54 adopted authorizing the Department of Facility Services to apply for grant funds in the amount of $100,000 for the purchase of a self-propelled, track driven chipper from the 2008 Clean Air Grant Program administered by the Placer County Air Pollution Control District and appointed the Director of Facility Services as an agent of the County to execute all necessary documents associated with the Grant Program.
c. Granite Bay Parks, Trails and Open Space Assessment District - Resolution 2008-55 adopted directing the preparation of the Engineer’s Report for FY 2008/2009 for the district.
18. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Blanket Purchase Order #14600, Sewer Line Chemical Root Control Services/Facility Services - Renewed with Duke’s Root Control as a result of Competitive Bid #9519, in the maximum amount of $65,000.
b. Sole Source Purchase, 45 Taser Units/Sheriff - Approved Sole Source Purchase with ProForce Law Enforcement, in the total amount of $69,851.34.
c. Sole Source Blanket Purchase Order, Annual Software Maintenance and Support of the Payroll/Personnel “ACORN” System/Personnel/Auditor/Administrative Services, Information Technology - Awarded to Oracle Corporation, in the maximum amount of $157,802.54.
d. Competitive Bid #9778, Skid Steer Rubber Track Loader and Related Attachments/Facility Services - Awarded to Lampson Tractor and Equipment Co., in the maximum amount of $82,898.89.
e. Competitive Bid #9769, Compact Grinder/Facility Services - Awarded to Vermeer Pacific, in the maximum amount of $61,876.82.
f. Sole Source Blanket Purchase Order #14507, Natural Gas for Compression as a Motor Fuel - Renewed with Pacific Gas and Electric, in the maximum amount of $150,000.
g. Negotiated Blanket Purchase Order #14512, Original Equipment Manufacture Ford Parts and Dealer Service/Public Works, Fleet Services - Renewed with Maita Ford, in the maximum amount of $60,000.
h. Negotiated Blanket Purchase Order #14513, Aftermarket Auto Parts/Public Works, Fleet Services Renewed with Riebes Auto Parts, in the maximum amount of $125,000.
i. Blanket Purchase Order #14506, Oil and Lube Products /Public Works, Fleet Services - Renewed with Hunt & Sons, Inc., as a result of Competitive Bid #9540, in the maximum amount of $82,500.
j. Blanket Purchase Order #14537, County Wide Document Shredding Services/Administrative Services - Renewed with Confidential Document Control as a result of Competitive Bid #9534, in the maximum amount of $68,000.
19. PUBLIC WORKS/BARTON ROAD BRIDGE AT MINERS RAVINE, CONSTRUCTION CONTRACT #1032 – Resolution 2008-56 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign a contract with PB Americas, Inc., in the amount of $247,605, for inspection, materials testing, and related services and authorizing the Director of Public Works to approve and sign contract amendments for additional professional Services not to exceed $25,000.
20. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln Arts and Culture Foundation 2008 Feats of Clay Celebration, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
b. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Roseville Community Preschool 2008 Forever Young Auction and Dinner, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
c. Approved appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Roseville High School 20th Annual Sober Grad Night Celebration, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
d. Approved appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the St. Baldrick’s Foundation Annual Head Shaving Event, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
e. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the North Roseville Recreation, Education and Creativity (R.E.C.) Center, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
f. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to The Placer Care Coalition 8th Annual Raising Spirits Event, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($250) and Supervisor Uhler ($250).
g. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer County Peer Court Coroner’s Visitation Program, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($125), Supervisor Holmes ($125) and Supervisor Uhler ($250).
h. Approved a total appropriation of $7,500 in District 5 Revenue Sharing Funds (Benefit Grant Funds) to community organizations and events recommended by the Citizens District 5 Benefit Fund Committee. Foresthill Divide Chamber of Commerce ($1,000), Friends of Kings Beach Library ($1,000), North Tahoe Public Utility District ($1,000), Snowfest ($1,000), Creciendo Undos ($1,000), Tahoe Truckee Community Scholarship Committee ($1,000), Colfax Green Machine ($1,000), and Friends of Foresthill Trails ($500).
***End of Consent Agenda***
The following Consent item was moved for discussion:
a. Fixed Asset Annual Inventory Exceptions - Resolution 2008-51 adopted to remove fixed assets from the County’s financial records, total value $1,526.
ADJOURNMENT – Next regular meeting is Tuesday, March 18, 2008 (Strategic Planning).
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2008 MEETING SCHEDULE:
March 18, 2008 (Strategic Planning)
March 25, 2008