COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, MAY 27, 2008
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1, Vice Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Chairman Holmes.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – John Falk, representing Tahoe Sierra Board of Realtors, presented a letter regarding Transient Occupancy Tax and the Draft Housing Element. Steve Phetteplace spoke in regard to saving Health for All. Connie Heilamar invited all to attend Railroad Days in Colfax, September 27 & 28, 2008. Sergeant Major Crousen requested the Board petition Congress to reestablish May 30th of each year as the official Memorial Day.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Supervisor Rockholm attended Memorial Day celebrations at the Roseville Cemetery and downtown Roseville. Chairman Holmes attended four Memorial Day ceremonies. He received and presented the Board with the Community Partner of the Year award presented by Placer School for Adults. He advised the Meth video from Placer High School students is available at the Health & Human Services Department.
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a commendation honoring Helen Wayland for her work on the Historical Organizations Committee since it began in January 2000 and for her continued volunteer work after 53+ years of service to preserve the rich history of Colfax.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a commendation congratulating Placer Arts on their 25th anniversary.
3. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a commendation congratulating Roshawnda Bettencourt for winning first place in the 2008 California Poetry Out Loud State Finals Competition.
4. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Accepted a donation of $10,000 from the Granite Bay Flycasters to the Placer Legacy Program.
5. COUNTY COUNSEL – Charter amendments, as recommended by the 2007-2008 Charter Review Committee:
1. Consider placement of two ballot measures to amend the County Charter, one relating to Board member salaries and one regarding the appointment and removal of the County Counsel.
2. If the Board decides to place one or more ballot measures before the voters of the County, that the Board provide clear and final direction as to the content of those measures, and direct County Counsel to return with final versions for approval.
3. Direct County Counsel to make minor corrections to the text of the County Charter and notify the Clerk of the Board for the Records.
MOTION Weygandt/Uhler/Unanimous, directing County Counsel to make minor corrections to the text of the County Charter and notify the Clerk of the Board for the records.
MOTION Uhler/Weygandt/Unanimous, to place a ballot measure on the November 2008 ballot to amend the terms of employment of the County Counsel set forth in Section 507 of the Charter and directed County Counsel to prepare and return to the Board of Supervisors with the final versions for approval.
MOTION Kranz/Uhler VOTE 2:3 (Rockholm, Weygandt, Holmes No), to not place an adjustment of the salaries of the members of the Board of Supervisors on the November 2008 ballot. MOTION FAILED.
MOTION Holmes/Rockholm VOTE 3:2 (Uhler, Kranz No) to place an adjustment of the salaries of the members of the Board of Supervisors on the November 2008 ballot, set salaries at $48,000 with an annual Cost of Living increase using a typical Consumer Price Index, and directed County Counsel to prepare and return to the Board of Supervisors with the final versions for approval.
6. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Contracts/Library - Approved the Placer County Library’s Data Network Project; authorized the sole source award of two contracts, in the amount not to exceed $59,800 to Sirsi/Dynix and a contract in the amount not to exceed $289,728 to upgrade the Library’s Data Network Infrastructure and Equipment; authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign all resulting contracts, upon approval from County Counsel and Risk Management; approved a budget revision in the amount of $297,100 within the appropriate accounts of the Placer County Library’s Budget Unit; added the appropriate components to the Library’s Master Fixed Asset List; and authorized the Director of Administrative Services, the Director of Library Services and the Purchasing Manager to take all other actions necessary to implement the project.
7. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES – Approved a one-time technology improvements with funding set aside in the 2007-08 final budget:
Authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to negotiate and execute three contracts for medical and managed care (OCHIN Clinic Practice Management System), pharmaceutical (QS/1 Pharmacy System), and dental (Dentrix Dental System) clinic practice management systems, not to exceed $277,000, contingent upon review and approval by Risk Management and County Counsel; Authorized the Purchasing Manager to purchase components ($17,500) required for the systems, a replacement for an obsolete server ($56,700), and 119 replacement computer workstations ($176,425); Authorized a budget revision to transfer $500,000 to the Department for the purchase of the technological improvements; and Added two software systems, two servers, and additional required components, in the amount of $143,100, to the Master Fixed Asset List.
8. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES – Resolution 2008-141 adopted authorizing the Director of Health and Human Services, with concurrence of County Executive, County Counsel, and Risk Management, to:
a. Execute 40 agreements and subsequent amendments for vital services, providing the expenditure agreements remain within 110% of the prior term’s amount. The total funding received for the nine revenue agreements is estimated at $1,286,843. The current total of the 31 expenditure agreements is $2,664,298, of which 12.4% or $331,133 is County General Fund; and
b. Authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to submit applications and accept grants and revenue contracts from government or non-profit agencies in amounts under $50,000, and execute non-monetary cooperative agreements with other entities.
9. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH – Program implementation, enforcement, and administration of the Aboveground Petroleum Storage Act (APSA):
a. Resolution 2008-142 adopted authorizing Placer County to enter into a Grant Agreement with the State of California for implementation of the APSA with the entire amount provided by the State; and
b. Authorizing the Director of Health and Human Services or his designee to sign applications, agreements, invoices, and any amendments thereto for implementation of the APSA.
10. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Lake Forest Erosion Control Project, Area A (Dollar Point), Roadside Drainage Facilities and Storm Water Runoff Treatment – Resolution 2008-143 adopted awarding Contract #1009 to the low bidder, Suter Construction, in the amount of $903,723 for construction of the project authorizing the Chairman to execute the construction contract on behalf of Placer County; and authorizing the Director of Public Works to approve and sign future contract amendments up to $90,373. Subject property is located three miles east of Tahoe City.
b. Lake Forest Erosion Control Project, Area B, Stream Environmental Zone/Habitat Restoration – Resolution 2008-144 adopted authorizing the Chairman to approve and sign Professional Services Agreement #1037 with Wood Rodgers, Inc., in the amount of $457,784 and authorizing the Director of Public Works to approve and sign future amendments up to $45,778. Subject property is located three miles east of Tahoe City. MOTION Kranz/Weygandt/Unanimous
c. Sierra Nevada Cascade Conservancy Grant, Snow Creek Stream Environment Zone (SEZ) Restoration Project, Tahoe Vista – Resolution 2008-145 adopted approving acceptance of a Sierra Nevada Cascade Conservancy grant in the amount of $1,820,000 for acquisition of the former TNT Cement Plant in Tahoe Vista; approving a Fiscal Year 2007-08 budget revision to increase the Snow Creek SEZ Restoration project (PC2908) budget; and authorizing the Director of Public Works to negotiate and execute a purchase agreement up to $1,750,000 for the real property. MOTION Kranz/Rockholm/Unanimous
11. SHERIFF - Approved a contract employee agreement between the Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal and Dr. Donald Henrikson for forensic pathology services. The contract is for the period July 1, 2008 through June 30, 2009 in the total annual amount for salary, benefits, and reimbursements of $261,046. Mandated payroll costs total $52,057 for a total cost to the County of $313,103.
12. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED REPORT:
(A) §54956.8 – CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR
(a) Property: APN 017-283-012, Negotiating Parties: County of Placer and Oates Investments, Inc., Under Negotiation: Material terms for the lease of a portion of the building located at 1000 Sunset Blvd, Rocklin, California – The Board received a report from its negotiating team and gave directions to the team.
(b) Property: APN 017-123-074, Negotiating Parties: County of Placer and J.B. Management, L.P., Under Negotiation: Authorization to negotiate price, terms and condition of the purchase and sale of land and improvements in Roseville, California – The Board received an update on the discussions of the price and terms of conditions of the acquisitions of the Courthouse Justice Center in Roseville and the Board gave direction.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS – The Board received an update and the status of discussions with both PPEO and DSA. No further discussions took place with regards to Unrepresented employees: Management, Confidential.
(a) Agency designated representatives: Tom Miller and/or designee(s), Nancy Nittler and/or designee(s)
Employee organization: PPEO. DSA.
Unrepresented employees: Management, Confidential.
CONSENT AGENDA (Items 13 thru 29) – Moved Item #24. Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. The Board convened as the In-Home Supportive Services Public Authority Board for item #17a and the Redevelopment Agency Board for item #27. MOTION Rockholm/Weyandt/Unanimous
13. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. Auditor/Controller/Placer County Audit Committee - Ordinance 5511-B adopted amending Chapter 2, adding Section 2.46, Audit Committee, establishing a County Audit Committee.
14. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS - Approved minutes of April 29 and May 6, 2008.
15. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 08-060, Gray, Cory, $3,000 (Property Loss)
b. 08-071, Yonko, Sammy, $325 (Property Loss)
16. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following applications to file late claims and the associated claims, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 08-050, Larson, John, $3,006,756.46 (Bodily Injury)
b. 08-051, Larson, Rebecca, $500,000 (Bodily Injury)
17. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Public Authority Advisory Committee – Approved reappointment of Mary DeGraaf to Seat #6, representing IHSS service providers; changed representation of Margaret Maldaner from Seat #7 to Seat #1, representing IHSS service recipients; and appointed Ned A. Zoller to Seat #7, representing IHSS service providers.
b. Gold Run Cemetery Committee – Approved appointment of Elizabeth Medbury to Seat 5, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
c. Historical Advisory Board – Approved reappointment of Gerda Percival to Seat 5, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
d. Lincoln Veterans Memorial Hall Board – Accepted resignation of George Schwartz (Alternate) Seat 1 and approved appointment of Jon Hodson (Alternate) to Seat 1, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
e. Older Adult Advisory Commission – Approved reappointment of Chester Lelio to Seat 2, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
f. Greater Auburn Area Fire Safe Council – Approved the appointment of Monroe DeJarnette to Seat 7, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
18. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING – Authorized the Planning Director to sign Grant Agreement #4600007911 with the Department of Water Resources CALFED Watershed Program to restore fish passage on Auburn Ravine and eradicate Red Sesbania from the Dry Creek Watershed; and execute contracts with the City of Lincoln, Dry Creek Conservancy (Bella Vista Foundation Grant) and Nevada Irrigation District for reimbursement of project costs associated with the restoration of fish passage in the Auburn Ravine Watershed. Placer County was awarded $339,645 under the Proposition 50 Water Security, Clean Drinking Water, Coastal and Beach Protection Act of 2002.
19. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Resolution 2008-146 adopted designating the dates of July 4, 5, and 6, 2008 and July 3, 4, and 5, 2009 as summer holiday periods when alcohol will be banned on the Truckee River pursuant to Ordinance 5507-B, and SB 1159, should it be passed by the legislature.
b. Approved a 5% merit increase for Michael Lombardo, Assistant Client Services Program Director, from Grade 454 Step 2 to Grade 454 Step 3 at $47.46 per hour, retroactive to April 12, 2008.
c. Approved a 5% merit increase for Maryellen Peters, Deputy County Executive Officer, from Grade 474 Step 3 to Grade 474 Step 4 at $60.80 per hour, retroactive to March 15, 2008.
20. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Parks/Leroy E. Botts Memorial Park (Foresthill) - Approved a budget revision appropriating Park Dedication Fees in the amount of $200,000 from Recreation Area #4, Foresthill-Todd Valley for replacement lighting at the softball field; ratified Emergency Purchase Order #089405 issued to Ferguson Family Enterprises dba Gray Electric Co Inc., in the amount of $6,950 pursuant to Section 2.2(c) Placer County Purchasing Policy Manual; and approved the re-appropriation of any unencumbered balance as of June 30, 2008, as part of the fiscal year 2008/2009 budget effective July 1, 2008, for the project.
b. Property Management/Home Depot Auburn – Authorized the Chairman to sign the Owner’s Statement associated with Parcel Map DPM 20060173 on behalf of the County of Placer, as the underlying fee owner of the property known as the Home Depot Auburn site, and consenting to the dedication to the public easements for road and utility purposes; and resolution 2008-132 adopted authorizing the Chairman to grant and record a water main easement in favor of the Placer County Water Agency (PCWA) and authorizing the Director of Facility Services to execute and record an amended and restated Memorandum of Lease for the Home Depot Ground Lease to reflect the legal description as set forth in the recorded Parcel Map.
c. Property Management/First Street Improvements - Roadway and sidewalk improvements to the west side of First Street between D Avenue and F Avenue, at the Placer County Government Center (PCGC) in Auburn:
1. Approved resolution 2008-133:
a. Adopting findings that construction of First Street road and sidewalk improvements between D Avenue and F Avenue is exempt from competitive bidding under the California Public Contract Code on the grounds that it is impractical to bid and that the public interest will not be served by bidding the project;
b. Approving a contract with Shames Construction Company, Ltd. of Livermore, CA, in an amount not-to-exceed $186,800; and
c. Authorizing the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, to execute an agreement with Shames for these improvements in an amount not-to-exceed $186,800, and any documents necessary to effectuate the purposes of the agreement that includes any required change order consistent with Section 20142 of the Public Contract Code, upon County Counsel and Risk Management’s review and approval of required bonds and insurance.
2. Approved a Budget Revision canceling reserves in the amount of $200,000 in the Dewitt Development Fund, Reserve for Plant Improvement account and appropriating the funds in Dewitt Parking/Road Improvements project account for project account number 704669, First Street improvements.
d. Capital Improvements/Eastern Regional Landfill Utility Easement – Resolution 2008-134 adopted delegating authority to the Director of Facility Services to accept the partial release of easement and to grant an easement for a relocated portion of an existing underground gas line to Southwest Gas Corporation at the Eastern Regional Landfill site; and execute all documents and take all actions necessary to grant and record the easement following County Counsel review and approval.
e. Capital Improvements/Placer County Government Center, Building 117 Clinic Renovations, Project #9435 - Approved a Consultant Services Agreement with Lionakis Beaumont Design Group, Inc. (LBDG) (selected from a pre-qualified list of firms), to provide architectural and engineering services for the project and authorized the Chairman to execute the agreement in an amount not-to-exceed $65,000. The project is located in North Auburn.
21. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ADULT SYSTEM OF CARE - Based on the recommendations of the Placer County Community Services Commission, Health and Human Services the Board:
a. Accepted the recommendations of the Commission for amending grant funds to provide continued services and expand services for homeless as follows:
1. Amended agreement CN005286 with Salvation Army in the amount of $20,000 for a revised total of $50,000, and
2. Amended agreement CN005292 with The Gathering Inn in the amount of $10,957 for a revised total of $34,509.
b. Authorized the Health and Human Services Director to sign amendments and future amendments.
22. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH - Environmental Health Fees:
a. Resolution 2008-135 adopted imposing the fee schedule for Land Development Services as directed by the Board after its public hearing on April 29, 2008 for services provided by the Health and Human Services Department, Environmental Health Division.
b. Resolution 2008-136 adopted imposing the fee schedule as directed by the Board at its public hearing on April 29, 2008 for certain services provided by the Health and Human Services Department, Environmental Health Division.
c. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, providing for cost of living adjustments of fees adopted by resolution, and deleting and replacing Chapter 2, Section 2.116.100 of the Placer County Code regarding Fees for Environmental Health.
a. Deputy Sheriff’s Association - Approved a Side Letter Agreement with Placer County Deputy Sheriffs’ Association on the Allocation and Use of Correctional Sergeants and Deputy Sergeants in the Auburn Jail.
b. Placer Public Employees’ Organization - Approved a Side Letter Agreement with Placer Public Employees’ Organization implementing the Professional Unit Memorandum of Understanding for Probation Officers.
24. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION
COUNTY CONSERVATION PLAN AD HOC COMMITTEE – Letter in regards to the City of Lincoln’s ongoing participation in the Placer County Conservation Plan.
25. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. BlackBerry, Radio/Cell Phones and Service - Awarded Countywide Blanket Purchase Order using a Competitively Bid Public Agency Contract with Nextel, in the maximum amount of $125,000.
b. Competitive Bid #9808, Hewlett Packard Network Hardware/Administrative Services - Awarded to EDX Information Systems, Inc., in the amount of $52,126.41, to extend the County’s enterprise data network to the Bill Santucci Justice Center, Building B facility.
c. Bid Cancellation/Administrative Services, Central Services - Ratified the cancellation of Competitive Bid #9807 for white, recycled bond copy paper.
d. Blanket Purchase Order #14656, Electric Motor Maintenance and Repair Service/Facility Services Approved Change Order #2 with All Electric Motors, Inc., increasing the maximum amount by $20,000 for a revised maximum amount of $69,000, for Sewer Maintenance District pumps.
e. Blanket Purchase Order, Waterborne Traffic Line Paint/Public Works, Roads - Awarded as a result of a County of El Dorado competitive contract to Pervo Paint Company, in the maximum amount of $160,000.
f. Sole Source Blanket Purchase Order, SafeMeasures Web-Based Reporting Services/Heath & Human Services, Children’s System of Care - Awarded to the National Council on Crime and Delinquency, from July 1, 2008 through June 30, 2010, in the maximum amount of $74,250.
26. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Fleet Vehicles – Approved fixed asset transfer of four County fleet vehicles to Placer County Air Pollution Control District: 2003 Ford E350 CNG 8 passenger Van, 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid; 2003 Dodge Durango, and 2006 Toyota Prius Hybrid.
b. Blue Canyon Airport – Resolution 2008-137 adopted authorizing the submittal of an application for an Acquisition and Development Grant to Caltrans Division of Aeronautics for the runway resurfacing project at the Blue Canyon Airport, Nyack, in an amount of $90,000, and approved a budget revision to the Special Aviation Budget.
c. California Tahoe Conservancy Private Lease Revenue Transfer – Resolution 2008-138 adopted authorizing the Chairman to execute the California Tahoe Conservancy Agreement CTA-07016 between the State and Placer County in the amount of $49,600 and allocate these revenues to Tahoe Erosion Control projects and the residential Best Management Practices Retrofit Program.
d. Local Transportation Fund Claim, Placer County Transit – Resolution 2008-139 adopted authorizing the Chairman to execute the 2007/2008 Local Transportation Fund Claim in the amount of $35,000 for adding a 4th route on Placer Commuter Express.
27. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY - Resolution 2008-140 adopted approving the design plans and specifications of the Tahoe City Gateway Monument Signs and authorizing advertising the sign project for bids. The estimated cost is $55,700 per sign.
28. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation of $1,000 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Rotary Club Project Auburn Steering Committee, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Approved a total appropriation of $8,500 in District 5 Revenue Sharing Funds (Benefit Grant Funds) to nonprofit organizations and events as recommended by the Citizens District 5 Benefit Fund Committee: North Tahoe Family Resource Center ($500), North Tahoe Business Association ($1,000), Auburn Aviation Association ($500), West Shore Business Association ($500), Auburn Host Lions Club ($1,000), Placer Nature Center ($1,000), Olympic Heritage Celebration Committee ($1,000), Iowa Hill Volunteer Fire ($1,000), Foresthill Chamber of Commerce ($500), Foresthill High School ($500), and Colfax High School Sober Grad Night ($1,000).
c. Approved appropriation of $1,500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lighthouse Counseling and Family Resource Center Celebrity Waiter Luncheon Fundraiser, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($500), Supervisor Weygandt ($500), Supervisor Holmes ($250), and Supervisor Uhler ($250).
29. SHERIFF - Approved the FY 2008/2009 Anti-Drug Abuse Enforcement Program application related to the staff assigned to the Special Investigations Unit. The amount estimated is $184,549 which will be allocated for one Deputy Sheriff II and partial funding for a Senior Probation Officer ($31,200). Authorized Edward N. Bonner, Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal, to execute the application, grant award and other related paperwork as required.
***End of Consent Agenda***
THE FOLLOWING ITEM WAS MOVED FOR DISCUSSION
24. PLANNING/PLACER COUNTY CONSERVATION PLAN AD HOC COMMITTEE – Letter in regards to the City of Lincoln’s ongoing participation in the Placer County Conservation Plan.
Following discussion the Board continued the item to a future meeting.
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
30. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR - Treasurer’s Statement for the month of April 2008.
31. LOOMIS UNION SCHOOL DISTRICT – School Facility Fee Justification Report and Board of Trustees’ resolution approving an increase in facility fees.
ADJOURNMENT – Meeting adjourned acknowledging the birthday of Patricia Holmes. Next regular meeting is Tuesday, June 10, 2008.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2008 MEETING SCHEDULE:
June 10, 2008
June 24, 2008
July 8, 2008
July 21, 2008 (Tahoe)
July 22, 2008 (Tahoe)