COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, JULY 22, 2008
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1, Vice Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
North Tahoe Conference Center
8318 North Lake Boulevard
Kings Beach, CA 96143
PUBLIC COMMENT – Eric Brandt provided an update on the Olympic Heritage Committee. John Falk, legislative advocate to the Tahoe Sierra Board of Realtors, stated he had not received a response from Placer County regarding Transient Occupancy Tax and spoke about the General Plan Housing update. Pat Davison, Executive Director of the Truckee Tahoe Contractor’s Association, requested the Board distinguish between Auburn and Tahoe operations in future labor discussions. George Custer, President of the Board of Directors of the Squaw Valley Olympic Museum, provided a development update.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – None received:
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of Resolution 2008-213 commending Deputy Russell Potts for his retirement from 29 years of dedicated public service as an employee of the Placer County Sheriff’s Department.
2. COUNTY EXECUTIVE – Presentation of a commendation recognizing Squaw Valley Public Service District Secretary Jim Smith for ongoing exceptional service to the North Lake Tahoe Community.
3. PUBLIC WORKS/CARNELIAN BAY UNDERGROUND UTILITY CONVERSION DISTRICT #1 – Public hearing closed. Resolution 2008-223 adopted modifying the boundary of the Carnelian Bay Underground Utility Conversion District #1, as originally established by Resolution 98-69.
4. COUNTY EXECUTIVE – Received a status report on the July Fourth Holiday Truckee River Alcohol Ban.
5. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES:
a. Fire Update – Fire Chief Brad Harris
b. Update on fire mitigation activities and results of the pilot ordinance for hazardous vegetation abatement the Tahoe Region, by Rui Cunha of Emergency Services and Fire Chief Brad Harris.
c. Update of the County’s biomass program, by Brett Storey of Emergency Services.
6. KINGS BEACH COMMERCIAL CORE IMPROVEMENT PROJECT – CERTIFY ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT REPORT AND APPROVE PROJECT – Staff recommends that the Board:
1. Certify the Environmental Impact Report (EIR);
2. Adopt the findings of fact and statement of overriding considerations for the three-lane hybrid alternative;
3. Approve a community plan amendment recognizing State Route 28 as a 3-lane facility through Kings Beach; and
4. Approve the staff recommended three-lane hybrid project alternative.
As an alternative, the Board may choose to act on the following:
1. Certify the Environmental Impact Report (EIR);
2. Adopt the findings of fact for the four-lane alternative; and
3. Approve the four-lane project alternative.
MOTION Rockholm/Weygandt/Unanimous to Certify the Environmental Impact Report (EIR).
MOTION Rockholm/Weygandt VOTE 4:1 (Kranz No) to bring back final findings of fact and statement of overriding considerations for the three-lane hybrid alternative; Resolution 2008-224 adopted approving a community plan amendment recognizing State Route 28 as a 3-lane facility through Kings Beach; and approved the staff recommended three-lane hybrid project alternative.
7. FACILITY SERVICES – The Board took the following actions relating to the construction of sewer infrastructure to serve the Sunset Industrial Area: Approved a Reimbursement Agreement with Signature Properties, in the amount of $917,814.91, and authorized the Chairman to execute the Agreement and approved a Budget Revision appropriating $917,814.91 from Reserves in the CSA 2A Sunset Sewer Budget. MOTION Rockholm/Weygandt/Unanimous
8. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Attendance of Placer County Representative to the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency for the purposes of any Tahoe Regional Planning Agency discussion/action relevant to King’s Beach Core Improvement Project.
MOTION Uhler/Rockholm VOTE 4:1 (Kranz No) that Supervisor Kranz be removed as the Board’s Tahoe Regional Planning Agency representative and he be made the alternate and that Larry Sevison be made the Board of Supervisors representative to the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency. This item to be brought back at the next Board Meeting to consider who will be our Tahoe Regional Planning Agency representative at that point.
CONSENT AGENDA (Items 9 thru 13) – Consent Agenda approved with action as indicated.
9. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution 2008-217 adopted in support of the 7th annual “Tour-de-Tahoe – Bike-Big-Blue” to be held on Sunday, September 7, 2008 around Lake Tahoe.
b. Resolution 2008-218 adopted in support of 17th Annual Bike Multiple Sclerosis “Take the Lakes, Tahoe Ride” to be held on Saturday September 13, 2008 around Lake Tahoe and Sunday, September 14th from Northstar-at-Tahoe to Donner Summit.
10. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Placer Sierra Fire Safe Council – Approved appointment of Roy Robinson to Seat 4 representing Placer Hills Fire Protection District, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
11. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES - Resolution 2008-219 adopted approving the Squaw Valley Fire Department Capital Facilities Plan Update - June, 2008 which maintains the existing mitigation fee structure.
12. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Solid Waste Services/Eastern Placer County – Information regarding funding of solid waste operations in eastern Placer County. No action requested, information only.
b. Colfax Library Renovation, Project #4765 - Approved a Consultant Services Agreement with Lionakis Beaumont Design Group, Inc., to provide architectural and engineering services for the project located in the City of Colfax and authorized the Chairman to execute the agreement in an amount not-to-exceed $130,000.
13. PUBLIC WORKS
a. Lake Tahoe Area Utility Underground Conversion Districts – Resolution 2008-220 adopted revising procedures for conversion of electrical panels within the Carnelian Bay No. 1 Tahoe Vista/Kings Beach Nos. 10 and 11, and Tahoe City No. 12 Underground Conversion Districts by allowing private property owners to perform conversion work on their property with some reimbursement.
b. Foresthill Road Bridge Repainting Project, Contract #1043 – Resolution 2008-221 adopted authorizing the Chairman to execute a Professional Services Agreement with KTA-Tator Inc., in a total amount of $76,000, for paint testing services for the project and authorized the Director of Public Works to approve and sign contract amendments for additional professional services not to exceed $15,000.
c. West Sunnyside Erosion Control Project – Resolution 2008-222 adopted approving the Right-of-Way Contract and accepting the Drainage Easement Deed from Joan Lundell et al, in the amount of $26,000, for the project.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2008 MEETING SCHEDULE:
August 5, 2008
August 12, 13, & 14, 2008 (Budget hearings)
August 26, 2008