COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2008
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1, Vice Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Rockholm.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 4-6) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 15 thru 25) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion. The Board will convene as the Redevelopment Agency for Item #24.
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a commendation honoring Paul Ferrari, Jr. for his contribution and dedication to agriculture in Placer County and for serving 20 years on the Agricultural Commission.
2. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR - Public hearing to consider adoption of an ordinance amending Placer County Code 2.116.090 updating the Treasurer-Tax Collector’s schedule of fees.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY PUBLIC HOUSING AUTHORITY
3. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/PUBLIC HOUSING AUTHORITY PLAN - Approve the following items to secure $1,640,619 in federal funding for the Placer County Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program to provide subsidized housing for over 260 families. Receipt of these funds requires an annual General Fund commitment of $55,000:
a. Conduct a Public Hearing to receive public comment regarding the Placer County Housing Authority Administrative Plan and Annual Public Housing Agency Plan for FY 2008/2009.
b. Adopt a Resolution authorizing submission of Placer County’s Annual Public Housing Agency Plan for FY 2008/2009 and certification of program compliance to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY PUBLIC HOUSING AUTHORITY AND
RECONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
4. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Consider appointment to fill the vacancy for the unexpired term of the Office of Placer County Assessor.
5. COUNTY CLERK-RECORDER-REGISTRAR OF VOTERS – Public hearing to consider adoption of an ordinance, amending Placer County Code Sect. 2.116.140 relating to various fees for the Elections Division of the County Clerk-Recorder-Registrar of Voters.
6. PUBLIC WORKS/FACILITY SERVICES/COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/ HOPKINS VILLAGE (AKA HOPKINS RANCH) /MARTIS VALLEY:
a. Public Works/County Service Area 28, Zone 211/Transit – Public hearing to consider all protests, tabulate ballots, and adopt a Resolution creating Zone of Benefit 211 and setting charges to operate transit service in Martis Valley at a cost of $38.68 per dwelling unit equivalent.
b. Public Works/County Service Area 28, Zone 210/Water Quality Monitoring - Public hearing to consider all protests, tabulate ballots, and adopt a Resolution creating Zone of Benefit 210 and setting charges to monitor surface and groundwater quality in the Martis Valley watershed at a maximum cost of $299 per dwelling unit equivalent.
c. Facility Services/County Service Area 28, Zone 194/Martis Valley Recreation - Public hearing to consider all protests, tabulate ballot, and adopt a Resolution annexing the Hopkins Village subdivision into Zone of Benefit 194, Martis Valley Recreation and setting charges to provide park and trail maintenance at a cost of $139 per dwelling unit, for the Hopkins Village development in the Martis Valley area.
d. Community Development Resource Agency/Engineering & Surveying/Hopkins Village Tract #976 - Approve recording and authorize the Chairman to sign the Final Map and Subdivision Improvement Agreement and direct the Clerk of the Board to prepare the Final Map and Subdivision Improvement Agreement for recording
7. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING – Update the Board on the status of the Placer County Conservation Plan (PCCP) Ad Hoc Committee deliberations. The Board formed the Ad Hoc Committee and approved a map to initiate discussions with the Resource Agencies on January 23, 2007. The Ad Hoc Committee is recommending the Board authorize staff to prepare the PCCP consistent with the principles and objectives outlined in the Conservation Strategy Report.
Links to Color Maps:
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ACTION AS TIME ALLOWS
8. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign:
a. Blanket Purchase Order #15182, Credit Card Fuel Purchases/Public Works/Fleet Services - Renew Blanket Purchase Order awarded from a State of California Competitive Contract with Voyager Fleet Systems, Inc., in the maximum amount of $650,000.
9. COUNTY EXECUTIVE – The following action is requested to implement the transfer of trial court facility funding responsibility and operation of the Main Jail and Juvenile Detention courtrooms to the Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC) under the provisions and requirements of the Trial Court Facilities Act of 2002 as amended. It is also requested that the Board approve a Deferred Transfer/Delegation of Responsibility between the County and the AOC for the use of the courtroom in the Tahoe Public Safety Building at Burton Creek.
1. Adopt a Resolution (County Authorizing Document) to verify the action of the Board to authorize the Chairman to sign the Consolidated Transfer Agreement and the closing documents required to complete the Transfer of Responsibility (TOR) and all the other provisions contained in the resolution including but not limited to; approval of the Consolidated Transfer Agreement; Joint Occupancy Agreement and the Form of Memorandum of Joint Occupancy.
2. Authorize the first quarterly payment of the annual County Facility Payment, (CFP), for both courtroom facilities as required by the Trial Court Facility Act of 2002 as amended and all subsequent quarterly payments.
3. Approve the Deferred Transfer Agreement/Delegation of Responsibility between the County and the AOC for the courtroom in the Tahoe Public Safety Building at the Burton Creek that is not ready for transfer at the present time; adopt a Resolution approving the Agreement and authorize the Chairman of the Board to sign the Agreement.
10. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES - Presentation on the Gladding Fire which occurred on September 1, 2008 (Labor Day) north and east of Lincoln.
11. FACILITY SERVICES/HIDDEN FALLS REGIONAL PARK/PRELIMINARY DESIGN ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT REPORT/PERMIT SUPPORT AND TRAIL CONNECTIVITY STUDY - Consider the following actions related to the Hidden Falls Regional Park (HFRP):
a. Approve a Budget Revision appropriating $140,000 in Proposition 84 funding from the Sierra Nevada Conservancy’s Strategic Opportunity Grant Program for HFRP Trail Connectivity studies and $254,691 from the County’s Open Space Fund for non-grant eligible project expenditures; and
b. Approve an Agreement with Carlton Engineering, Inc., in an amount not-to-exceed $390,691 for preliminary Design and Environmental Impact Report/Permit Support Studies for HFRP and for preparation of an initial study linking HFRP with the Placer Land Trust Property; and
c. Authorize the Chairman to execute the Agreement.
12. PUBLIC WORKS/KINGS BEACH COMMERCIAL CORE IMPROVEMENT PROJECT - Adopt the final findings of fact and statement of overriding considerations for the modified alternative 2/hybrid alternative and approve a community plan amendment recognizing State Route 28 as a 3-lane facility through Kings Beach.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
13. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY:
a. Final Budget - Adopt a resolution approving the Redevelopment Agency’s FY 2008-09 Final Budget in the amount of $38,164,057.
b. Service Agreement - Adopt a resolution authorizing the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or designee to execute a Service Agreement with the County Executive Office in the amount of $279,551 for FY 2008/2009.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Existing Litigation:
(a) George Malim, WCAB Claim, Claim Number: Unassigned
(B) §54956.8 – CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR
(a) Property: Approximately 40 acres of property located at 5841 Fruitvale Road in Newcastle, California., APN:031-340-005-000
Agency Negotiator(s): Tom Miller, Jim Durfee, Loren Clark, Michael Johnson, Anthony La Bouff
Negotiating Parties: County of Placer and Bryan Kaminsky and Caren Hamilton
Under Negotiation: Authorization to negotiate price, terms and conditions of the purchase and sale and conservation easement
(C) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS
(a) Agency designated representatives: Tom Miller, Nancy Nittler, Mike Boyle, Valerie Flood,
Anthony J. La Bouff
Employee organization: PPEO. DSA.
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 4-6) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 15 thru 25) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion. The Board will convene as the Redevelopment Agency for Item # 24.
15. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. County Executive/Administration - Ordinance amending the un-codified Allocation of Positions to Departments Ordinance to Chapter 3 Personnel for Fiscal Budget Year 2008/2009.
b. County Executive/Placer Public Employees Organization – Ordinance amending the un-codified Classified Service-Schedule of Classifications, Salary Plan and Grade Ordinance for the Probation Officer Classification Series.
c. Community Development Resource Agency/Planning – Ordinance amending Sections 17.04.030, 17.06.050, 17.08.010, 17.10.010, 17.12.010, 17.16.010, 17.20.010, 17.22.010, 17.24.010, 17.26.010, 17.30.010, 17.34.010, 17.38.010, 17.40.010, 17.42.010, 17.44.010, 17.46.010, 17.54.070 and 17.58.030 of, and adding Section 17.56.330 to, the Placer County Code related to wineries and associated uses.
16. WARRANT REGISTERS – Weeks ending July 11, 18, 25 and August 1, 8, 22, and 29, 2008.
17. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approve four Commendations to retiring California Highway Patrol Officers for their service to the people of the State of California.
b. Approve a Proclamation recognizing September 2008 to be “Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month” in Placer County.
c. Approve Special Meeting , Monday October 20, 2008.
d. Approve minutes of August 26, 2008.
18. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Loomis Veterans Memorial Hall Board – Approve reappointment of Geray M. Bressie to Seat 7, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Older Adult Advisory Commission – Accept letters of resignation from Lynn Grilli Seat #16 effective September 9, 2008 and Michael Alward Seat #19, effective September 5, 2008.
c. Wastewater Advisory Committee – Approve reappointment of Mark Navo to Seat 5, Guy Ostenson to Seat 6, Bill Carpenter, Jr. to Seat 7, Mike Broyer to Seat 9, Marc Lindbloom to Seat 10 and David Buck to Seat 12.
19. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES - Approve by resolution re-submission of the application for the Fiscal Year 2008 Federal Homeland Security Grant Program with an updated award amount that resulted from an error in computation by the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security that was only corrected after the Board originally approved application submission on August 5, 2008.
20. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Lease Agreement - Approve Lease Amendment #2 to Lease #12324 between the County of Placer and the Hall Charitable Remainder Trust for Hangar #52 within Building “A” at the Auburn Airport and authorize the Chairman to sign.
b. Children’s Emergency Shelter Modular Classrooms, Project #4677B - Resolution accepting the project as complete and authorize the Director of Facility Services to execute and record the Notice of Completion.
c. Clerk Recorder Elections Addition, Project #4830 - Approve a Budget Revision, in the amount of $333,500, and approve the Consultant Services Agreement with Williams + Paddon, Architects + Planners, Inc. (W+P) to provide architectural and engineering services for the Clerk Recorder Elections Addition, located in the Placer County Government Center in North Auburn and authorize the Chairman to execute the agreement in an amount not-to-exceed $180,200.
d. Main Jail Re-Roof, Project #4773 - Resolution accepting the project as complete and authorize the Director of Facility Services to execute and record the Notice of Completion. Project is located in the Placer County Government Center, North Auburn.
21. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult System of Care - Approve a contract employee agreement with Prudencio G. (“Gary”) Samson, M.D. for the provision of part-time and after-hours on-call psychiatric services from September 25, 2008 through September 24, 2009 with direct compensation of $57,835 for a total compensation package of $63,025, and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the resulting contract and subsequent amendments up to 10% of the original contract amount. This contract is funded by $44,117 in federal/state revenue, and $18,908 in County General Funds.
b. Human Services - Approve a two-year contract with Schmidt Psychological Services, LLC, for psychological evaluations for the period from July 1, 2008 through June 30, 2010 in a not-to-exceed amount of $30,000 for the two-year term, and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the contract and subsequent amendments up to 10% of the total contract amount. The FY 2008/09 County General Fund contribution for this service is $9,000. These costs are reflected in the Department’s 2008/09 Final Budget.
22. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Blanket Purchase Order #15189, Radiology Services/Health & Human Services/Managed Care - Renew with Radiological Associates of Sacramento, in the maximum amount of $220,000.
b. Purchase Order, Maintenance of Cisco Network Infrastructure Equipment and Software/Administrative Services/Telecommunications - Award to AT&T DataComm Using a Competitively Bid State of California Contract, in the amount of $57,360.49.
c. Blanket Purchase Order #15124, Purchase of Compressed Natural Gas as a Motor Vehicle Fuel/Public Works/Fleet Services - Renew Sole Source Blanket Purchase Order with Southwest Gas Corporation, in the maximum amount of $170,000.
23. PUBLIC WORKS/ TAHOE SIERRA INTEGRATED REGIONAL WATER MANAGEMENT PLAN (IRWM) - Resolution adopting the Tahoe Sierra Integrated Regional Water Management (IRWM) Plan dated July 19, 2007 and authorize the Chairman to execute the Tahoe Sierra IRWM Plan Memorandum of Understanding on behalf of the County.
24. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY - Resolution authorizing the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or designee to execute a $54,080 contract with Economics Research Associates, Inc., to provide a market, fiscal and urban decay analysis for the North Auburn Redevelopment Project Area.
25. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approve appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Roseville Police Activities League (RPAL) Program, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($500).
b. Approve appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the PEACE for Families 13th Annual “Heroes of PEACE” Fall Luncheon, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
26. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR - Treasurer’s Statement for the month of August 2008.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2008 MEETING SCHEDULE:
October 7, 2008
October 20, 2008 (Tahoe)
October 21, 2008 (Tahoe)
November 4, 2008
November 25, 2008
December 9, 2008