COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2008
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1, Vice Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Kranz.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Joanne Neft advised researchers from the U.S. Department of Agriculture confirmed that juice from Owari Satsuma mandarins grown in Placer County contain significant amounts of synephrine, a natural product that can help relieve the symptoms of colds and allergies. Skip Stater, Meadow Vista resident, requested the Board do something to stop odor and flies caused by goats raised by his neighbors.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Chairman Holmes advised he attended the dedication of the historic medical museum in historic Auburn. The event was started by Placer County. Placer County sold the property to the City of Auburn. The Old Town Preservation Society working with Project Auburn, the Rotary Club, and the Native Sons of the Golden West, restored the buildings. This is a great enhancement to the heritage of Placer County.
1. SHERIFF - Public hearing closed. Approved the spending plan for Fiscal Year 2008/09 for the Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal and District Attorney from the Citizens Option for Public Safety (COPS) Supplemental Law Enforcement Services Fund. The spending plans seeking approval for FY 2008/09 are District Attorney $88,867; Corrections $177,942; and Front Line Law Enforcement $211,738.
2. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/FORESTHILL DIVIDE COMMUNITY PLAN (GPA-341/IMPLEMENTING ZONING REA-909) & ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT REPORT (SCH 2001092094) – Public hearing closed to consider adoption of the Foresthill Divide Community Plan and adoption of zoning implementing the Plan. The proposed rezoning of properties within the Plan area is necessary and required to achieve consistency with new Foresthill Divide Community Plan land use designations. Because of a change in boundary between the 1981 Foresthill General Plan and the proposed Foresthill Divide Community Plan, the Board of Supervisors will also consider adoption of the General Plan Amendment to modify the land use diagrams for the Auburn-Bowman Community Plan, the Weimar-Applegate-Colfax Community Plan and the Placer County General Plan and consideration of certification of the Environmental Impact Report for this project.
to accept staff recommendations with modifications to grant the Placer School
District rezone request; to accept Abbott & Kindermann, LLP modification, per
their letter of October 6, 2008, to Paragraph 1, line 2 to read “The County
recognizes that as the Community Plan continues to grow and in order to
implement the stated high priority of new employment opportunities and
appropriate economic growth, additional areas
maybe have been identified as
being suitable for development; and bring back for final action December 9,
2008 at 11:00 a.m.
ADJOURNED AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND CONVENED AS THE
PLACER COUNTY IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY
3 IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY - Approved the In-Home Supportive Services Public Authority Budget for FY 2008/09, in the amount of $901,712.
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY
AND RECONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
a. Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) Technology Grant - Accepted a grant in the amount of $1,590,010 for continuation Phase III of the Placer County Regional Communications Network Radio Infrastructure and Upgrade and authorized the County Executive and Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal to execute the grant acceptance documents. This grant is included in the Final Budget.
b. Agreement/City of Colfax - Approved the Law Enforcement Services contract Amendment #2 and third year of the three year contract between the Placer County Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal and the City of Colfax. The annual amount has been updated to reflect current known increases, except for adjustments related to the Deputy Sheriff’s Association (DSA) negotiations, and a reduction of services related to the traffic enforcement officer for a total revised contract amount of $529,599 for Fiscal Year 2008/2009. This is a decrease of $94,407 or -15.13%. Additional adjustments will be applied as needed once all the costs are known from the DSA negotiations.
5. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Existing Litigation:
(a) State of California, et al. vs. Infineon Technologies, et al., United States District Court, Northern District Case No.: 3:06-cv-4333 PJH – The Board discussed and gave direction.
(b) Robin Boyle vs. County of Placer, et al., United States District Court, Eastern District Case No.: 2:07-cv-00875-FCD-GGH – The Board discussed and gave direction.
2. Anticipated Litigation: Initiation of litigation pursuant to subdivision (c) of Government Code §54956.9: one potential case. – The Board discussed and gave direction.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS – The Board gave direction to its labor negotiators.
(a) Agency designated representatives: Tom Miller, Nancy Nittler, Mike Boyle, Gerald O. Carden, Anthony J. La Bouff
Employee organization: PPEO. DSA.
CONSENT AGENDA (Items 6 thru 15) – Consent Agenda approved with action as indicated.
6. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Proclamation declaring October as “National Breast Cancer Awareness Month” and October 17, 2008 as “National Mammography Day” in Placer County in support of the National effort to urge all citizens to seek breast cancer screening.
b. Resolution 2008-300 adopted commending Bruce Dear for 18 years of dedicated public service as the Placer County Assessor.
c. Approved minutes of September 9, 2008.
7. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Assessment Appeals Board – Accepted resignation of Joe Colosi effective 9-30-08 and approved reappointment of Darrell Burruss to Seat 1, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
b. Civil Service Commission – Approved reappointment of John Costa to Seat 5, as requested by Supervisor Uhler.
c. Economic Development Board – Confirmed appointment of David Baker, representing Manufacturing.
d. First 5 Placer Children and Families Commission – Approved reappointment of Dr. Richard Burton to Seat 2, Catherine Goins to Seat 3, Kimberly Haswell to Seat 4, Robert McDonald to Seat 8 and Elaine Rowen to Seat 9.
e. Kings Beach Area Design Review – Accepted resignation from Chris Oberle Seat #3 effective September 25, 2008, approved appointment of John Shoberg to Seat 3 and approved reappointment of Pam Jahnke to Seat 5 and Leah Kaufman to Seat 7, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
f. Roseville Veterans Memorial Hall Board – Accepted letter of resignation from Joseph M. Cavanagh Seat #6, effective September 15, 2008.
g. Squaw Valley Design Review Committee – Approved reappointment of Roger Beck to Seat 1, Judy Carini to Seat 2 and Peter Klaussen to Seat 3, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
8. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING - Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the seventh contract amendment with Quad Knopf in the amount of $16,480, for additional work related to the preparation of the Foresthill Divide Community Plan.
9. FACILITY SERVICES/FRANKLIN SCHOOL COMMUNITY PARK - Approved and executed an agreement with the Loomis Union Elementary School District to provide for use and maintenance of Franklin School Community Park over the course of twenty (20) years.
10. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/CHILDREN’S SYSTEM OF CARE - Approved a contract with PlacerArts in the amount of $15,000 as a co-sponsor of the Auburn Big Time-Pow Wow, a community cultural event to honor and support Native American families and children in Placer County to be held on October 25, 2008, and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the contract and any amendments as needed. There are no County General Funds in this action and these costs are reflected in the Department’s 2008/09 Final Budget.
11. LIBRARY - Approved the 5:00 p.m. closure of Placer County Library branches on Wednesday, November 26, Wednesday, December 24, and Wednesday, December 31, 2008.
12. PERSONNEL – Approved Resolutions 2008-301, 2008-302, 2008-303, and 2008-304 adopted for the California Public Employees Retirement System, Health Benefits Division, which adopts the 2009 employer health insurance contribution levels effective January 1, 2009 for all Placer County employees and retirees.
13. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Blanket Purchase Order #15536, Asphalt Emulsion – Approved Change Order #3, with Kent’s Oil Service, increasing the maximum amount by $120,000 for a revised maximum amount of $449,970 and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting change order.
b. Auburn Folsom Road Bikeway Project, Phase 1 - Resolution 2008-305 adopted approving a Negative Declaration (State Clearinghouse No. 2008082073) with the required findings for the Project.
14. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Area Recreation and Park District (ARD) 12th Annual Auburn Community Festival, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Approved appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Aviation Association, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
c. Approved appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Placer Performing Arts Center, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
d. Approved appropriation of $350 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Del Oro High School 30th Annual Band Spectacular Event, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($100) and Supervisor Holmes ($250).
e. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Old Town Auburn Preservation Society (OTAPS) Gold Country Medical History Museum Renovation Project, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
f. Approved appropriation of $450 in Revenue Sharing monies to Placer County Ducks Unlimited 33rd Annual Fundraising Dinner, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($250) and Supervisor Weygandt ($200).
g. Approved appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer Community Action Council 6th Annual KidZKount Fall Classic Golf Tournament, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
h. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer County Sheriff’s Department “Search & Rescue Organization”, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm and Supervisor Holmes ($250 each).
i. Approved appropriation of $1,250 in Revenue Sharing monies to The Gathering Inn, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($250), Supervisor Weygandt ($250), Supervisor Holmes ($500) and Supervisor Uhler ($250).
15. SHERIFF - Accepted the Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) award in the amount of $12,065, authorized the Sheriff to execute the grant award documents and budget revision appropriating funds. The grant was awarded to provide funding reimbursements for a Senior Probation Officer for activities and time supporting the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) related to reducing children endangered in a drug-related environment.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ADJOURNMENT – Next special meeting is Monday, October 20, 2008, next regular meeting is Tuesday October 21, 2008.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2008 MEETING SCHEDULE:
October 20, 2008 (Tahoe)
October 21, 2008 (Tahoe)
November 4, 2008
November 25, 2008
December 9, 2008