COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2009
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4, Vice Chairman Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Uhler.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 5-7) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 13 thru 24) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion.
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a commendation recognizing multiple agencies for their outstanding efforts in providing animal assistance during the “49 Fire”.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a Proclamation declaring October as “National Arts & Humanities Month”, and Friday, October 2, 2009, as “California Arts Day” throughout Placer County.
3. DISTRICT ATTORNEY – Presentation of the Citizen Recognition Awards for 2008. A reception will follow in Conference Room A.
4. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES/HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Receive an update on the impacts and recovery activities resulting from the “49 Fire” which occurred on August 30, 2009, in North Auburn
b. Approve a resolution waiving specified county-related fees to aid victims of the Placer County 49 Fire that occurred on August 30, 2009.
5. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/COMMUNITY GRANTS & LOANS – Adopt a resolution authorizing the Chief Assistant CEO or designee to submit a 2009-10 Community Development Block Grant Over-the-Counter application in the amount of up to $2,500,000 for Hilltop Center public improvements in Bowman and authorize the Chief Assistant CEO or designee to execute all associated documents.
(Staff is requesting the item be continued to October 6, 2009 at 10:20 a.m.)
6. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES:
a. 2009 Placer County Fire Capital Improvement Plan - Public hearing to consider adoption of a Resolution approving the 2009 Placer County Fire Capital Improvement Plan, a new plan that increases mitigation fees from $0.55 to $0.65 per square foot for residential property and from $0.41 to $0.48 per square foot for commercial/industrial property.
(Staff is requesting the item be removed)
b. Fees/Placer County Fire Area - Public hearing to consider authorizing collection of land development fees for fire protection planning in the Placer County Fire area, approve a resolution adopting the fee schedule, and adopt an ordinance incorporating this change in Chapter 15.04.050 of Placer County Code. (Staff is requesting the item be removed)
7. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Purchase Order/One 3,000 Gallon Water Tender/County Executive Office/Emergency Services/Placer County Fire (Dry Creek) - Approve the award of a Purchase Order, awarded from Houston-Galveston Area Council Competitive Contract, to US Tanker, in the amount of $308,875.14.
b. Lease/Purchase/Two 3,000 Gallon Replacement Water Tenders/County Executive Office/Emergency Services/Placer County Fire (Western Placer) - Authorize the Lease/Purchase of Water Tenders using a competitively bid contract with US Tanker, in the total amount of $676,082.12.
8. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/BUDGET - Resolution adopting the FY 2009-10 Placer County Final Budget in the amount of $783,858,514; and
1. Approve final budgets for County proprietary funds for a total of $77,118,252; and
2. Approve the County Master Fixed Asset List for FY 2009-10; and
3. Introduction of an ordinance amending the personnel allocations of various departments to reflect position changes approved for the FY 2009-10 Final Budget.
4. Approve the resolution adopting final budgets of special districts governed by the Board of Supervisors in the amount of $45,463,176.
9. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Lincoln Fire Station 70 Acquisition - It is recommended that the Board take the following actions associated with acquisition of the 5+/- acre parcel referred to as APN 021-200-054-000 including the 1,800+/- square foot residence property located at 2955 Eden Lane, Lincoln (Property) for relocation of Fire Station 70 from the current Lincoln site at Oak Tree Lane:
1. Adopt a Resolution delegating authority to the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, upon Risk Management’s and County Counsel’s review and approval, to execute all documents and take all actions necessary to complete the Property acquisition between the County of Placer and C. Mark Stites, in the amount of $540,000, to disburse funds associated with this transaction, and to accept and record the deeds for said Property; and
2. Approve a Budget Revision appropriating $560,000 from the 22160 County Fire Fund Account to the Lincoln Fire Station 70 Building and Site Improvements, Project No. 4819 for the acquisition and add the item to the Master Fixed Asset List.
b. Lincoln Fire Station 70 Building and Site Improvements, Project #4819 - It is recommended that the Board take the following actions associated with the Lincoln Fire Station 70 Building Improvements, located at Wise Road and Eden Lane in North Lincoln:
1. Approve the Plans and Specifications and authorize staff to solicit bids for the Lincoln Fire Station 70 Building and Site Improvements, Project No. 4819.
2. Approve a Resolution authorizing the Director of Facility Services to award and execute a contract in an amount not-to-exceed $227,022, upon review and approval by County Counsel and Risk Management, and delegating authority to approve any necessary change orders consistent with the County Purchasing Manual and Section 20142 of the Public Contract Code.
3. Approve a Budget Revision appropriating $80,000 from the 22160 Fire Fund Account to the Lincoln Fire Station 70 Building and Site Improvements, Project No. 4819.
10. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ANIMAL SERVICES - Approve revenue agreements with the City of Auburn, City of Rocklin, and Town of Loomis for the provision of animal control services from July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2012, and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to execute any subsequent amendments. The revenue to be generated during the first year of these agreements is included in the Department’s FY 2009-10 Proposed Budget.
11. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Foresthill Road Bridge at the North Fork of the American River/Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (SCH #2009072076) – Adopt a Resolution approving an Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration with the required findings and mitigations for the Foresthill Road Bridge Seismic Retrofit project.
b. Foresthill Road Realignment Project– Adopt a Resolution authorizing the Director of Public Works to award and execute the construction contract for the Foresthill Road Realignment Project to the lowest responsible and responsive bidder up to an amount of $500,000, with County Counsel and Risk Management review and approval, and authorize the Director of Public Works to execute contract change orders up to 10% of the contract amount.
c. Home Depot Reimbursement Agreement – Adopt a Resolution authorizing the Director of Public Works to sign a Traffic Fee Reimbursement Agreement in the amount of $630,390 between Placer County and Home Depot for roadway improvements constructed that are included in the Countywide Capital Improvement Program.
d. Auburn-Folsom Road Widening, Middle Phase, Contract #1083 – Adopt a Resolution authorizing the Chairman to sign a contract with Psomas in the amount of $816,904 for the construction management, inspection, and materials testing services for the Auburn-Folsom Road Widening, Middle Phase Project and authorize the Director of Public Works to approve and sign contract amendments for additional Professional Services not to exceed $80,000.
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Existing Litigation:
(a) League to Save Lake Tahoe vs. Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, et al.
U.S. District Court, Eastern District, Case No.: Civ. 2:08-CV-02447 JAM/KJM
(b) Stationary Engineers Local 39 and Placer Public Employees Organization vs. County of Placer County State of California Public Employment Relations Board Case No.: SA-CE-584-M
(c) Placer County Sheriff vs. Friends of Auburn/Tahoe Vista Placer County, Animal Shelter, et al., Third District Court of Appeal Case No.: C058472
(d) Placer County Sheriff vs. Friends of Auburn/Tahoe Vista Placer County, Animal Shelter, et al., Third District Court of Appeal Case No.: C061190
2. Anticipated Litigation:
(a) Initiation of litigation pursuant to subdivision (c) of Government Code, §54956.9: one potential case.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS
(a) Agency designated representatives: Tom Miller, Nancy Nittler, Mike Boyle, Gerald O. Carden, Anthony J. La Bouff
Employee organization: PPEO. DSA.
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 5- 7) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 13 thru 24) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion.
13. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. County Executive/Personnel – Ordinance adjusting the compensation and benefits of DSA represented employees.
b. County Executive/Personnel – Uncodified ordinance adjusting the compensation and benefits of Deputy Sheriff’s Association (DSA) represented employees.
a. Resolution setting the appropriation limit for Placer County Operating Funds for 2009-2010 at $854,223,190.
b. Resolution setting the appropriation limit for Placer County Special Districts governed by the Board of Supervisors for 2009-2010 at $5,848,649.
15. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approve a contract with Judy Friedman to provide Secretarial services to the North Tahoe Regional Municipal Advisory Council and authorize the County Executive to sign.
16. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Reject the following claims, as recommended by the offices of County Counsel and Risk Management:
a. 09-076, White, Jeremy, Unstated, (Bodily Injury).
b. 09-086, Kirkorian, Roy & Gayle, Unstated, (Personal Injury).
17. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. County Parks Commission – Accept letter of resignation from Roy Hamlin Seat 1 representing District 1, effective September 8, 2009.
b. Library Advisory Board – Approve the appointment of Heidi Johnson to Seat 5, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
c. Municipal Advisory Council (Foresthill Forum) – Accept letter of resignation from John Laster Seat 3, effective August 31, 2009 and approve the appointment of Duane Frink to Seat 3, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
d. Municipal Advisory Council (North Tahoe Regional) – Approve the appointment of Lolly Kupec to Seat 5, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
e. Squaw Valley Design Review – Approve the reappointments of Russell Poulsen to Seat 4 and Christine Horvatch to Seat 5, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
18. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY - Authorize the Chairman to sign a letter of support for the Placer County Air Pollution Control District Biomass Waste for Energy Greenhouse Gas Offset Accounting Protocol to the California State Department of Forestry.
19. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES - Adopt a resolution continuing the 49 Fire Proclamation of Local Emergency made on August 30, 2009 and ratified in a special meeting on September 2, 2009.
20. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. North Park - Approve a technical accounting Budget Revision transferring appropriations of park dedication fees in the amount of $75,000 from an operating budget to a capital project account 4844 for the installation of rubber surfacing for the tot lot play structure at North Park in Auburn.
b. Sewer Maintenance District 1 - Approve a resolution entering into a reimbursement agreement for sewer improvements with Wayne and Elizabeth Worden, and authorize the Chairman to execute said agreement.
c. Veteran’s Service Office Relocation - It is recommended that the Board take the following actions associated with relocation of the Veteran’s Service Office from 2995 First Street at the Placer County Government Center in Auburn to 1000 Sunset Boulevard, in Rocklin, CA:
1. Adopt a resolution authorizing the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, to:
a. Complete negotiations for a Lease Agreement, based on the Material Terms, between the County of Placer and Sunset Commercial Center, Inc., c/o Oates Investments, Inc. (SCC), for Veteran’s Service Office (VSO) occupancy in space located at 1000 Sunset Boulevard in Rocklin, CA; and
b. Execute the resultant SCC Lease Agreement following approval by County Counsel and Risk Management.
2. Approve a Budget Revision to appropriate funds in the amount of $35,000 in the Capital Projects Fund, VSO Relocation Project Account 04845 for the estimated relocation costs associated with this action.
d. Community Development Resource Center Phase II Parking Lot, Project #4630E - Resolution accepting the project, located in the Placer County Government Center in North Auburn, as complete and authorize the Director of Facility Services to execute and record the Notice of Completion.
21. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Community Health and Clinics - Approve a change order to Blanket Purchase Order #16332 with David H. Roholt, D.D.S., dba Alta Vista Dental Lab, for dental prosthodontic services from January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2009, increasing the maximum amount by $25,000 for a revised maximum amount of $74,500, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting change order. The revised County General Fund share is $20,860. The total costs are included in the Department’s FY 2009/10 Final Budget. No additional County General Funds are required.
b. Environmental Health - Approve a resolution endorsing the application for local primacy agency delegation by the Health and Human Services Department Environmental Health Division previously submitted to the California Department of Public Health, Drinking Water Division. No County General Funds are associated with this action.
c. Environmental Health - Resolution reaffirming the Proclamation of a Local Health Emergency made by the County Health Officer on September 1, 2009, and reaffirming Resolution 2009-228 approved on September 2, 2009, and Resolution 2009-236 approved on September 8, 2009.
d. Community Health - Approve a five-year contract with the Lighthouse Counseling and Family Resource Center in the amount not to exceed $108,600 for services, space and other support provided to the Women Infants and Children (WIC) program and Community Clinics operations in Lincoln, and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the contract and subsequent amendments up to 10 percent of the total. Of this amount, $17,740 is related to FY 2009-10 and these costs are included in the Department’s FY 2009-10 Final Budget. No County General Fund contribution is required.
22. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid/Software and Hardware Support (ACORN & PAS Servers)Administrative Services/Information Technology - Approve the award of a Purchase Order using a negotiated agreement with Hewlett-Packard Company, in the maximum amount of $62,395.28.
b. Blanket Purchase Order #016197/ Radiology Services/Health & Human Services/Managed Care - Renew negotiated Blanket Purchase Order with Radiological Associates of Sacramento, in the maximum amount of $245,000.
23. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Abandonment/Portion of Pine Ridge Road, Tahoe City – Resolution to abandon excess right-of-way along a portion of Pine Ridge Road in Tahoe City, in exchange for $27,490.
b. Tahoe City Public Utility District (TCPUD), Waterline/Utility Improvement, SEZ/Habitat Restoration Resolution approving a Cooperative Agreement, with County Counsel and Risk Management review and approval, between the Department of Public Works and the Tahoe City Public Utility District (TCPUD) for utility work in concert with the Lake Forest Erosion Control project – Area B (SEZ/Habitat Restoration) which will construct stream restoration and water quality improvements in the Lake Forest subdivision; and authorize the Director of Public Works or his designee to execute the Cooperative Agreement and all related documents. The construction estimate for all utility work associated with the project is $182,355.84.
c. Tahoe Transportation District Funding – Resolution authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute, with County Counsel and Risk Management’s review and approval, an agreement with the Tahoe Transportation District to receive approximately $150,000 in Federal Transit Administration 5311 funding for Tahoe Area Regional Transit in FY 2009/10.
24. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approve a total appropriation of $5,750 in District 5 Revenue Sharing Funds (Benefit Grant Funds) to the attached list of nonprofit organizations and events recommended by the Citizens District 5 Benefit Fund Committee: Boys and Girls Club of North Lake Tahoe ($1,000), Sierra Senior Services Meals on Wheels ($1,000), Olympic Heritage Celebration ($750), Foresthill Chamber of Commerce Heritage Celebration ($250), Foresthill Swim and Recreation Pool Filtration System ($1,000), Save Auburn Ravine Salmon and Steelhead Education Program ($750), KidsFirst Education, Information, and Coaching ($250), Placer Land Trust ($500), and Auburn Host Lions Club “Ski for Light” ($250).
b. Approve appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Ride to Walk Therapeutic Horseback Riding Program, as requested by Supervisor Uhler ($250).
c. Approve appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the City of Lincoln 150th Birthday Celebration to help defray the cost of the event, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($500).
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
25. Treasurer-Tax Collector - Treasurer’s Statement for the Month of August 2009.