COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
THURSDAY AUGUST 19, 2010
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2, Vice Chairman Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4, Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5 Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Weygandt.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – None.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Supervisor Holmes advised that he read in the Sacramento Bee today that there are several Placer County high schools listed in the top 20 football teams in the Sacramento Region. Chairman Uhler said he was struck by the fact that the Board sat through almost 7 hours listening to departments talk about the level of service they have been able to maintain in spite of economic conditions with not one word in our local publication about any of it and yet quite the story about the antics of a small group in the southeast part of the county. Chairman Uhler questioned where the priorities are in terms of serving the public that our local publication has and it was disappointing.
1. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/Budget Workshop – Considered final budget adjustments to reflect anticipated State budget impacts and other proposed revenue/expenditure reductions and changes. Staff was directed to return with the final budget as proposed, September 14, 2010, with the following inclusions:
1. Increase funding for the Placer County Visitors Bureau in the amount of $40,000.
2. Transfer District 5 Revenue Sharing monies to Health & Human Services to provide for enhanced services focused to children and aged populations at no increase to the County Budget.
3. To approve a one-time contribution from the County General Fund to the County Library Fund, in the amount of $40,000. Chairman Uhler indicated that while he values libraries he would place greater value in a stronger balance sheet therefore he would not be able to support additional dollars to the Library at this time.
MOTION Montgomery to approve a one-time increase in funding, in the amount of $40,000 from contingencies, for Placer County Libraries. MOTION DIED FOR LACK OF A SECOND.
4. Provided direction to CEO staff to monitor state and federal revenues with respect to the Veterans Service Office and return to the Board should funding become available for additional staffing.
2. COUNTY COUNSEL/ADJOURN TO CLOSED REPORT – Not discussed.
(A) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS
(a) Agency designated representatives: Tom Miller, Nancy Nittler, Mike Boyle, Gerald O. Carden, Anthony J. La Bouff
Employee organization: PPEO. DSA.
ADJOURNMENT – Next regular meeting is August 24, 2010.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2010 MEETING SCHEDULE:
August 24, 2010