COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 2010
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2, Vice Chairman Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4, Chairman Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Montgomery.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – None received.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Supervisor Montgomery reported on a meeting called by Supervisor Holmes, Councilman Holmes, and herself regarding the potential defunding/closure of the Auburn State Recreation Area and Lake Clementine. Approximately 150 people were in attendance with representatives from all the Federal Agencies (with the exception of the Army Corp of Engineers), representatives from City Council to Federal elected. Mike Finnegan, Bureau of Reclamation, allocated an additional $10,000 to keep Lake Clementine open over the winter months. There was a confirmed commitment from everyone present to continue working toward identifying long term funding to keep the ASRA and Lake Clementine open. They will continue to keep the pressure on agencies and elected officials. Supervisor Holmes said the forum meeting was an opportunity for all users of the canyon to keep the momentum to keep the area open. Supervisor Weygandt attended the Volunteer Center of Sacramento’s annual lunch to acknowledge volunteers in the community who have done extraordinary work over the prior year. Jennifer Pereira was nominated “Problem Solver of the Year” for her work at the Lighthouse. Supervisor Rockholm advised the City of Roseville and Placer County held a Boarder Committee Meeting to discuss annexation of the Sierra Vista Project in Roseville and will work to come to an agreement on the annexation. Supervisor Weygandt said we get one chance to negotiate this revenue stream that will provide county services in the City of Roseville forever.
1. DISTRICT ATTORNEY – Presentation of the Citizen Recognition Awards for 2009. A reception followed in Conference Room A.
2. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/PERSONNEL:
a. The Board took the following actions:
1. Resolution 2010-302 adopted to approve the New Memorandum of Understanding between Placer County and the Placer County Deputy Sheriff’s Association through June 30, 2012.
2. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, implementing the provisions of the Memorandum of Understanding between Placer County and the Placer County Deputy Sheriff’s Association.
3. Uncodified ordinance introduced, first reading waived, adjusting compensation and benefits for Placer County Deputy Sheriff’s Association represented employees.
4. Resolution 2010-303 adopted to implement the CalPERS employee retirement contributions for current, active Safety members effective January 1, 2011.
5. Resolutions (2) 2010-304 and 2010-305 adopted to implement the CalPERS employee retirement contributions for new hires for Safety and Miscellaneous DSA represented members effective January 1, 2011. MOTION Holmes/Montgomery/Unanimous
b. The Board took the following actions:
1. Directed staff to prepare the CalPERS Two-Tiered Pension Platform documents for the Safety and Miscellaneous Pension Plans for new hires and a resolution to increase the PERS employee contribution for newly hired elected department heads, management, safety management, confidential and unclassified (non-management) employees.
2. Resolution 2010-306 adopted to add two “floating” mandatory time off days for safety management, management, and unclassified (non-management) employees and one day for confidential employees for FY 2010-11. MOTION Rockholm/Weygandt/Unanimous
3. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES - Public hearing closed. Resolution 2010- 307 adopted approving the 2010 update to the Placer County Fire Capital Improvement Plan that maintains the existing fee schedule. MOTION Holmes/Montgomery/Unanimous
4. PERSONNEL - 96 employees have been invited to the November 2, 2010 Board of Supervisor’s meeting to be presented with their County Service Awards. Collectively, they represent 2,150 years of service to the County.
5. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Approved minutes of Tuesday, October 5, 2010. Supervisor Montgomery absent. MOTION Rockholm/Uhler VOTE 4:0 (Montgomery abstained)
6. COUNTY EXECUTIVE – Tabled request to consider alternatives and provide direction regarding organizational structure of the County Executive and BOS Offices. Staff directed to return with Alternative 1, delineate responsibilities in groups, and come forward with ordinances and resolutions.
7. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/Boulder Bay Project - Directed staff to provide further input to the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency consistent with issues identified in the February 1, 2010 letter from Placer County on the proposed Boulder Bay Project Final Environmental Impact Statement noting general support for the project. MOTION Montgomery/Holmes/Unanimous
8. COUNTY COUNSEL/ADJOURN TO CLOSED REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Existing Litigation:
(a) Thomas Kitchen v. Deputy Jackson, Sgt. Gutierrez, Lt. R. Ashford, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: MCV-44809 – The Board assigned the matter to County Counsel.
(B) §54956.95 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – The Board received a report from Risk Management Office and gave direction.
1. Liability Claims:
(a) Claimant: Kent’s Oil Service, Agency claimed against: County of Placer
(C) §54957 – PUBLIC EMPLOYEE APPOINTMENTS – The Board confirmed the appointment of Joshua Huntsinger as Agricultural Commissioner.
(a) Title: Agricultural Commissioner
(D) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS – No discussion.
(a) Agency designated representatives: Tom Miller, Nancy Nittler, Therese Leonard, Gerald O. Carden, Anthony J. La Bouff
Employee organization: PPEO.DSA
CONSENT AGENDA – Item 11c moved for discussion. Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous
9. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. County Executive/Organizational Changes – Uncodified Ordinance 5626-B adopted revising allocations to implement the County Executive Office organizational changes as directed on October 5, 2010.
a. Nursery Inspection - Resolution 2010-292 adopted authorizing the Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign contract #10–0397 with the California Department of Food and Agriculture allowing for reimbursement from the State for up to $1,840 for Nursery Inspection Program.
b. Weed Eradication - Resolution 2010-293 adopted authorizing the Placer County Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign contract #10-0692 in the amount of $16,750 for Placer Weed Management with the California Department of Food and Agriculture allowing for reimbursement from the State for the Placer County Weed Eradication Program.
11. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution 2010-290 adopted commending Diana Taphouse for over 21 years of dedicated public service as an employee of the Placer County Auditor-Controller’s Office.
b. Resolution 2010-291 adopted supporting the American River Canyon Visitor and Interpretive Center coordinated by the Placer Nature Center.
c. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION Request that the Personnel Director to pursue necessary modifications to ordinances and/or resolutions that would allow contract employees to apply for lateral transfers, promotions, and/or other internal positions.
12. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by the offices of County Counsel and Risk Management:
a. 10-100, Lopez, Jose, In Excess of $30,000, (Bodily Injury)
b. 10-101, Lopez, Susan, In Excess of $30,000, (Personal Injury)
c. 10-102, Herdegen, Mary and David, In Excess of $25,000, (Personal Injury)
13. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the timely portion of the following claim as recommended by the Offices of County Counsel and Risk Management.
a. 10-064, Englund-Mueller, Amy, Not Stated, (Personal Injury)
14. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the Leave to Present a Late Claim and its underlying claim as recommended by the Offices of County Counsel.
a. 10-085, Martin, Sandy, Not Stated, (Personal Injury)
15. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. In Home Support Services Advisory Committee – Accepted the resignation of Mary DeGraff Seat 6 representing Service Providers, effective immediately.
b. North Tahoe Area Design Review Committee – Approved the reappointments of Kevin Drake to Seat 5 and Leah Kaufman to Seat 7, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
c. Tahoe City Design Review Committee – Approved the reappointment of Gary McKelvey to Seat 4, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
16. COUNTY CLERK/ELECTIONS - Resolution 2010-294 adopted appointing nominees to terms on the boards of directors of various special districts within Placer County.
17. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT GRANTS & LOANS:
a. Deed of Reconveyance - Resolution 2010-295 adopted authorizing the County Executive Officer or his designee to sign a deed of reconveyance and waive repayment of a $350,000 County Housing Trust Fund loan made to North Star Community Housing for 12 of the 96 units at the Sawmill Heights affordable employee housing complex in exchange for 35 additional years of affordability covenant.
b. Contract - Resolution 2010-296 adopted authorizing the Purchasing Manager to execute an amendment to a professional services contract with MHC NSP, LLC to provide Neighborhood Stabilization Program services and increase the contract not to exceed amount from $120,000 to $271,000.
18. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT – Approved amendment to Contract #12896 and Exhibit A – Scope of Work and Item #6 to change the payment amounts to include an additional $40,000 to Placer County Visitor’s Bureau for operation of the Placer County Visitor’s Information Center and Tourism Promotion and Marketing Program for FY 2010-11 and for State Fair Exhibit construction and operation.
19. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES:
a. Resolution 2010-297 adopted approving the Penryn Fire Protection District Capital Improvement Plan for Fiscal Year 2010-2011 which is a new plan.
b. Resolution 2010-298 adopted approving the South Placer Fire Protection District Capital Facilities Plan for Fiscal Year 2010-2011 which is a new plan.
c. Resolution 2010-299 adopted terminating the state of Local Emergency as proclaimed on October 22, 2010 by the Placer County Director of Emergency Services due to the Galleria Fire in the City of Roseville.
20. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Emergency Purchase - Ratified the emergency purchase and installation of a Fire Control Panel from Industrial Electronic Systems, Inc., 3250 Monier Circle Suite F, Rancho Cordova, CA in the amount of $14,952.
b. Tahoe Administration Center - Resolution 2010-300 adopted authorizing the Director of Facility Services, or designee, to complete negotiations to amend Lease Agreement #11464 between the County of Placer and William E. Briggs and Joyce S. Briggs, as trustees of the Briggs Family Trust (Landlord), for structural design and roof repairs to the Tahoe Administration Center at 565 West Lake Boulevard in Tahoe City, CA, delegating authority to execute a Lease Amendment on behalf of your Board contingent upon approval by Risk Management and County Counsel, and approved a Budget Revision shifting $10,000 in appropriations from the Miscellaneous Projects 4907 to the Tahoe Admin Roof Project 4789 in the Capital Projects Fund.
21. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Human Services - Approved a contract with The Salvation Army to operate a Winter Emergency Voucher Program for homeless and low income families with children, and adults, from October 1, 2010 through April 30, 2011 in the amount of $40,000, and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments up to 10 percent of the total contract amount. The contract is fully funded with County General Funds. This cost is included in the Department’s FY 2010-11 Final Budget.
b. Adult System of Care - Resolution 2010-301 adopted proclaiming the week of November 15-21, 2010 as Placer County In-Home Support Services (IHSS) Caregiver Recognition Week.
22. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Purchase Order, NEC Telephone Switching System/Administrative Services/Telecommunications - Awarded a purchase order to NexusIS of Pleasanton, CA for a new NEC telephone switching system, in the amount of $211,973.01 to support the Administrative Services Department’s Capital Replacement Plan.
b. Blanket Purchase Order, Construction Management Services/Public Works - Renewed Blanket Purchase Order with Construction Materials Engineers, Inc., for Construction Management Services for Eastern Placer County, in the maximum amount of $165,000.
c. Surplus Vehicles, Public Works/Fleet Services - Declared Vehicles as Surplus and authorized disposal by Public Sale.
d. Qualified Lists, Plan Check Services, Community Development Resource Agency/Building & Engineering - Approved a five-month renewal of competitively-awarded Qualified Lists for plan check services.
e. Competitive Bid #10019, Fire Sprinkler System Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance/Facility Services - Awarded Competitive Bid to JB Fire Systems, in the maximum amount of $150,000.
f. Blanket Purchase Order, Magnesium Hydroxide for Wastewater Treatment/Facility Services - Renewed competitively awarded Blanket Purchase Order with Hill Brothers Chemical Company, for Magnesium Hydroxide for Wastewater Treatment, in the maximum amount of $175,000.
g. Change Orders, Janitorial Supplies/Sheriff & Facility Services - Approved Change Orders to four Blanket Purchase Orders with Nelson’s Building Maintenance and Unisource for Janitorial Supplies, in the aggregate amount of $65,000 for a revised maximum aggregate amount of $366,400.
h. Blanket Purchase Orders, Surveying Services/Public Works - Renewed Blanket Purchase Orders with Andregg Geomatics and Owen Psomas for surveying services for Eastern Placer County, in the maximum aggregate amount of $250,000.
i. Consultant Services Agreement, Evaluator Services/Health & Human Services - Approved a Thirteen-Month Consultant Services Agreement with Lori Ford for Evaluator Services, in the not-to-exceed amount of $70,000.
j. Blanket Purchase Order, Local Pharmacy Services/Health & Human Services - Renewed a Competitively Awarded Blanket Purchase Order with Rite Aid Corporation for local pharmacy services, in the maximum amount of $150,000.
k. Competitive Bid #10022, Plumbing Supplies/Various Departments - Awarded Competitive Bid to Anderson’s Sierra Pipe Company for plumbing supplies, in the maximum aggregate amount of $98,000.
23. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation of $300 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Feed the Hungry of Auburn Program to help provide food to local residents in need of assistance, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($300).
b. Approved appropriation of $750 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Chamber of Commerce 2010 Festival of Lights Parade to help defray the cost of the event, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($750).
c. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Roseville Chamber of Commerce 49th Annual Sylvia Besana Holiday Parade to help defray the cost of the event, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($500).
24. SHERIFF - Approved Change Order #1 to Blanket Purchase Order #16720 with Defense Finance and Accounting Service for aviation fuel, increasing the maximum amount by $30,000 for a revised amount of $75,000, and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting change order.
25. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR - Approved the temporary borrowing of Treasury funds, in the estimated amount of $11,000,000 for fiscal year 2010/2011, by the Sierra Joint Community College District, Fund 401 sub-fund 100, as prescribed by the California State Constitution.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEM MOVED TO CONSENT AGENDA FOR DISCUSSION:
11. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
c. Request that the Personnel Director pursue necessary modifications to ordinances and/or resolutions that would allow contract employees to apply for lateral transfers, promotions, and/or other internal positions.
MOTION Montgomery to delay action. MOTION died for lack of a second.
MOTION Rockholm/Weygandt VOTE 4:1 (Holmes No), directing the Personnel Director to pursue necessary modifications to ordinances and/or resolutions that would allow contract employees to apply for lateral transfers, promotions, and/or other internal positions.
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
26. Agriculture – 2009 Agricultural Crop Report.
27. Treasurer-Tax Collector - Treasurer’s Statement for the month of September 2010.
ADJOURNMENT – Next regular meeting is Tuesday, November 23, 2010