COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 23, 2010
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2, Vice Chairman Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4, Chairman Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Weygandt.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Sue Stack, Bowman resident, requested the Zoning Text Amendment regarding chickens and overhauling of the animal control law be scheduled on the same day.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Supervisor Weygandt advised the Placer County Conservation Plan will be submitted around the first of the year. He said yesterday there was a meeting with the Army Corp of Engineers and Fish and Wildlife Service on the Plan.
1. COUNTY EXECUTIVE - Presented the Employee Recognition Awards for Exceptional Teamwork, Outstanding Leadership, Workforce Excellence and Public Service Excellence.
2. PLACER COUNTY OFFICE OF EDUCATION - Annual report on Williams Schools in Placer County presented by Gayle Garbolino-Mojica, County Superintendent of Schools.
3. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Court Facilities Update - Received an information update from staff and from the Administrative Office of the Courts regarding courthouse planning efforts in the Tahoe and South Placer areas.
b. South Placer Adult Correctional Facility (SPACF) Arraignment Courtroom Addition, Project #4764 - The Board took the following actions:
1. Approved and authorized the Chairman to execute Contract Change Order #28 for the design and construction of the shell structure of an arraignment courtroom addition to the SPACF in an amount not to exceed $3,760,000.
2. Approved a Budget Revision in the amount of $4,880,000 appropriating $2,440,000 from the Burton Creek Justice Center project and $2,440,000 from the Criminal Justice Facilities Temporary Construction Fund to the SPACF project in the Capital Projects Fund.
4. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/ENCLAVE AT GRANITE BAY (PSUB T20080329) - GENERAL PLAN AMENDMENT, REZONE, VESTING TENTATIVE SUBDIVISION MAP, CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT, TREE PERMIT, AND MITIGATED NEGATIVE DECLARATION/APPEAL OF THE PLANNING COMMISSION’S DECISION TO RECOMMEND DENIAL OF THE PROJECT TO THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS - Public hearing to consider an appeal from Camille Courtney, on behalf of Pastor Land Development, Inc., of the Planning Commission’s denial of a Vesting Tentative Subdivision Map, Conditional Use Permit, and Tree Permit (removal of Landmark Cottonwood trees), and the Planning Commission’s decision to recommend denial of the General Plan Amendment and Rezone for the development of a 26-lot Planned Residential Development on a 12.07-acre parcel in Granite Bay. It is staff’s recommendation that the Board uphold the decision of the Planning Commission, deny the General Plan Amendment and Rezone, and deny the appeal.
MOTION Holmes/Rockholm/Unanimous, directing the matter come back on December 14, 2010 at 10:20 a.m. to consider a General Plan Amendment and a Rezone consistent with the revised project densities submitted by the applicant and any necessary environmental documentation.
5. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Blanket Purchase Order, Credit Card Fuel Purchases, Public Works/Fleet Services - Renewed Blanket Purchase Order awarded from a State of California competitive contract with Voyager Fleet Systems, Inc., in the maximum amount of $550,000.
b. Request for Qualifications #9689, Land Survey & Base Mapping Services/Public Works - Extended a Qualified List for Land Survey and Base Mapping Services as a result of competitive Request for Qualifications #9689 and approved the renewal of Blanket Purchase Orders resulting from the Qualified List in the maximum aggregate amount of $750,000.
c. Sole Source Contracts, Interoperable Radio Network Project, Phase B/Administrative Services/Countywide - The Board took the following actions:
1) Authorized the Director of Administrative Services to negotiate two separate contracts in the amount not-to-exceed $505,250 for the purchase and installation of digital radio infrastructure;
2) Approved the sole source award of the necessary contracts in support of the Countywide Interoperable Radio Network Project to Motorola, Inc. and Delta Wireless;
3) Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting contracts with Motorola Inc. and Delta Wireless upon County Counsel and Risk Management approval;
4) Approved a Budget Revision in the amount of $505,250 to the Countywide Systems Fund;
5) Added appropriate components to the Countywide Systems Fund’s Master Fixed Asset List;
6) Authorized the Director of Administrative Services and the Purchasing Manager to take all other actions necessary to implement the project.
d. Iowa Hill Telecommunications Infrastructure Project/Notice of Completion - Resolution 2010-325 adopted accepting the Iowa Hill Telecommunications Infrastructure Project, AB140 Project #03PS5450, as complete and authorizing the Director of Administrative Services to execute and record the Notice of Completion. MOTION Montgomery/Holmes/Unanimous
6. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/BUILDING SERVICES DIVISION – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, repealing and reenacting Article 15.04 of the Placer County Code to incorporate the California Building Standards Code with express findings pursuant to California Health and Safety Code Section 17958.5 authorizing local modifications to the California Building Standards Codes considering regional, climatic, geological, and topographic conditions.
7. COUNTY EXECUTIVE - Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, implementing organizational changes approving the initial staff proposal (Page 209 of the agenda package).
MOTION Holmes/Weygandt VOTE 3:2 (Montgomery & Uhler No)
8. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Sewer Maintenance District #1 Regional Sewer Project - Authorize the Chairman to sign the Memorandum of Understanding with the City of Lincoln and the City of Auburn, which will require the County to contribute $42,000 toward completion of engineering studies relating to the Regional Sewer Project. The City of Auburn has deferred the item to a future date.
MOTION Rockholm/Montgomery/Unanimous, authorizing the Chairman to sign the Memorandum of Understanding with the City of Lincoln, which will require the County to contribute $42,000 toward completion of engineering studies relating to the Regional Sewer Project, and accepting the change to the Memorandum of Understanding adding #5 in the document that the City of Lincoln proposed (Page 232 of the agenda package).
b. Sewer Maintenance District #1 Wastewater Treatment Plant - Authorized staff to complete design of the Sewer Maintenance District 1 Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade Project under a previously approved contract with Owen Psomas Engineering.
9. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Community Health and Clinics - Approved a revenue agreement with the California Department of Public Health for the Public Health Preparedness Comprehensive Agreement from July 1, 2010 through August 9, 2011 in an amount not to exceed $1,024,430; sign the required Certification Regarding Lobbying and the Non-Supplantation Certification Forms; and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent contract amendments and periodic certifications of the County’s compliance with the non-supplantation requirements. This program is fully funded with Federal and State funds. No County General Fund is required. These expenditures and revenue are included in the Department’s FY 2010-11 Final Budget.
b. Human Services - Approved an amendment to Contract CN012828 with Golden Sierra Job Training Agency for the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) Subsidized Wage Program to provide administration and case management of the California Assembly Bill 98 (AB 98) Subsidized Wage Program from December 1, 2010 through June 30, 2011 in the amount of $240,000, for a revised total contract amount not to exceed $1,662,285. Under AB 98, 84 percent of the subsidized wage program will be funded with Federal and State funds through the California Work Opportunity and Responsibility for Kids (CalWORKs) Single Allocation. The remaining 16 percent or $40,000 would be funded with County General Funds. These funds are included in the Department’s FY 2010-11 Final Budget.
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY IN HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY
10. IN HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY – Approved the In-Home Supportive Services Public Authority Budget for FY 2010-11 in the amount of $957,679.
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY IN HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY
AND RECONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
11. PUBLIC WORKS/COOK-RIOLO ROAD BRIDGE REPLACEMENT PROJECT, CONTRACT #73161 – Resolution 2010-326 adopted authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute contract amendments with Quincy Engineering, Inc. for design of the Cook-Riolo Road Bridge Replacement Project, with County Counsel and Risk Management review and approval, up to an additional amount of $300,000. These contract amendments for additional professional services will increase the total contract up to a total not to exceed $1,185,000 including contingencies.
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
12. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY:
a. Tax Increment Funds - Resolution 2010-237 adopted authorizing a loan of $1,550,000 in tax increment funds from the Sunset Industrial Project Area to the North Lake Tahoe Project Area for redevelopment of property at 229, 245 Fox Street, 8616, 8666, 8673, 8679, 8684, 8685 Salmon Avenue, and 8635, 8645, 8675, 8693, and 8697 North Lake Boulevard, Kings Beach.
b. Loan Purchase Agreement - Resolution 2010-328 adopted authorizing the Redevelopment Agency (Agency) Director or designee to execute a Loan Purchase Agreement with Umpqua Bank of $2,800,000 plus closing costs not to exceed $10,000 for a first mortgage loan on properties owned by BB, LLC at 229, 245 Fox Street, 8616, 8666, 8673, 8679, 8684, 8685 Salmon Avenue, and 8635, 8645, 8675, 8693, 8697 North Lake Boulevard, Kings Beach, CA, APN’s 090-126-021, 022, 024, 039, and 040, 090-133-003, 005, 006, 007, 008, 009, 010, 011, and 015, and authorizing the Agency Director or designee to execute other related documents necessary to complete the transaction. MOTION Montgomery/Holmes/Unanimous
c. FY 2010-2011 Final Budget - Resolution 2010-329 adopted approving the Redevelopment Agency’s Fiscal Year 2010-2011 Final Budget in the amount of $45,965,170.
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
13. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(a) Alliance for the Protection of the Auburn Community Environment, et al. v. Placer County, et al.
Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-28200 – The Board received a status report and gave direction to Counsel.
(b) Diana Kay Solomon v. Marianne Claire Rossi, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-26874 – The Board received a status report from Counsel and gave direction.
(c) Exclusive Resorts, LLC, et al. v. Board of Supervisors of Placer County, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case No. SCV-28222 – The Board received a status report but gave no direction.
(d) County of Sonoma v. Federal Housing Finance Agency, et al., United States District Court, Northern District Case No.: 4:10-cv-03270-CW – The Board received a status report from Counsel and gave direction.
(e) Rob Collins et al, v. County of Placer, et al., California Court of Appeal, Third Appellate District, Case No.: C063789 – The Board received a status report and gave direction with regards to the handling of that appeal.
(f) Placer County Deputy Sheriff’s Association v. County of Placer County, et al, PERB Case No. SA-CE-629-M – The Board received a status report of the recent filing of a complaint by the PERB Board regarding the charge filed by the Deputy Sheriff’s Association over last years negotiations.
(B) §54956.8 – CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR – The Board met with its Real Property Negotiators and had a discussion with regards to those items and gave direction to its negotiators.
(a) Property: APN: 026-020-009, 026-020-011, 026-020-012, 026-020-013, 026-061-001, 026-061-003, 026-061-007, 026-061-051,026-061-068
Agency Negotiator(s): Tom Miller, Jim Durfee, Mary Dietrich, Anthony La Bouff.
Negotiating Parties: County of Placer and Placer Land Trust
Under Negotiation: Price, terms of payment, or both.
CONSENT AGENDA – Moved Item #27 for separate vote. Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. The Board convened as the Placer County Redevelopment Agency for Item #27. MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous
14. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/PERSONNEL – Ordinance 5627-B adopted implementing the provisions of the Memorandum of Understanding between Placer County and the Placer County Deputy Sheriff’s Association.
b. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/PERSONNEL - Uncodified Ordinance 5628-B adopted adjusting compensation and benefits for Placer County Deputy Sheriff’s Association represented employees.
15. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approved a Proclamation declaring November 2010 to be Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month in Placer County.
b. Resolution 2010-308 adopted commending José Rodriguez for over 35 years of dedicated public service as an employee of the Placer County Auditor-Controller’s Office.
c. Approved minutes of September 28, 2010, October 18, 19, 2010, and November 2, 2010.
16. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by the offices of County Counsel and Risk Management:
a. 10-091, McGhee, Erina, Not Stated, (Personal Injury)
b. 10-104, Wolfgram, John, $18,500, (Personal Injury)
17. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following Leaves to Present a Late Claim and their underlying claims as recommended by the Offices of County Counsel and Risk Management.
a. 09-127, Lee, Iris, Not Stated, (Personal Injury)
b. 10-105, Valencia, Elaine & Conner, Jack, Not Stated, (Personal Injury)
18. COMMITTEE & COMMISSIONS:
a. In Home Support Services Advisory Committee – Accepted the resignation of Margaret Maldaner Seat 1, effective immediately and approved the reappointments of Mary Snoberger to Seat 4 and Phylis Nelson to Seat 11.
b. Municipal Advisory Council (Foresthill Forum) – Accepted the resignation of Roy West Seat 1, effective immediately as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
c. North Tahoe Area Design Review Committee – Approved the appointment of Carolyn Pretzer to Seat 1, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
19. COUNTY COUNSEL – Resolutions 2010-309 through 2010-310 adopted acknowledging statements from local government agencies regarding the status of their conflict of interest codes and improving amendments to those agencies’ codes.
20. COUNTY CLERK/ELECTIONS – Resolution 2010-311 adopted authorizing a March 8, 2011 Special Election for the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District and authorizing the County Registrar of Voters to render reimbursed election services for the election.
21. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Placer Administrative Manual:
a. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived:
a. Adding Article 2.040.040 Expense Reimbursement for Elected Officials, and Article 2.040.050 Ethics Training for Elected Officials to Placer County Code
b. Amending Chapter 8, Articles 8.12.010, 8.12.020 and 8.12.030 of the Placer County Code, Smoking in County-owned or County-leased buildings.
b. Approved Resolutions (3) 2010-312, 2010-313 and 2010-314 adopting:
a. Placer County Meals, Lodging, Travel and Transportation Policy.
b. Placer County Code of Ethics.
c. Placer County Purchasing Policy Manual.
c. Resolution 2010-330 adopted deleting specific Chapters of the Administrative Rules and transferring two Chapters not substantively amended to the Placer Administrative Manual.
b. Resolution 2010-315 adopted amending the Placer County Credit Card Program Policies and Procedures Manual.
22. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT:
a. Resolution 2010-316 adopted authorizing the contract modification of a Service Provider Subgrant from the Golden Sierra Job Training Agency to increase funding from $18,828 to $62,760 to provide Layoff Aversion Services to Businesses in Placer County during Fiscal Year 2010-2011, authorized the County Executive Officer to execute any related documents or contracts, and approved a budget revision to appropriately budget expenditures and off setting revenues.
b. Resolution 2010-317 adopted appointing the Placer County Office of Economic Development to be the official representative for Placer County in matters pertaining to the 2011 State Fair Exhibit and executing the California State Fair Official Entry Form.
23. FACILITY SERVICES/TAHOE PROBATION – Resolution 2010-318 adopted authorizing the Director of Facility Services or his designee to take the following actions associated with the Probation Department’s continued tenancy at 7252 North Lake Boulevard in Tahoe Vista, CA.
1) Complete negotiations for a Lease Agreement (Agreement), with rent commencing at $1,786.25 monthly, based on the Material Terms between the County of Placer and Lake Canyon Limited Partnership; and,
2) Execute the resultant Agreement on behalf of the Board following approval by County Counsel and Risk Management; and,
3) Carry out those provisions and responsibilities as specified within the Agreement on behalf of the County including but not limited to the Future Tenant Improvements provision as summarized in the Material Terms.
24. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult System of Care - Approved a contract employee agreement with Blair Romer, M.D. as staff psychiatrist from January 1, 2011 through December 31, 2011 with direct compensation of $130,460, for a total compensation package not to exceed $185,881, and authorized the Chairman to sign subsequent amendments up to 10 percent of the original contract amount. Funding of $65,059 in Federal and State funds, and a required County General Fund match of $27,882 is included in the Department’s FY 2010-11 Final Budget. The balance of funding will be budgeted in the FY 2011-12 Base Budget for the remainder of the contract term.
b. Children’s System of Care - Approved an amendment to Agreement DHA-CS-PLA-01-10 with the County of Sacramento for the Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS program to provide mental health services to clients, increasing the total by $4,549 for a revised total of $52,757 from January 1 through December 31, 2010, and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign this and any subsequent amendments. This program is funded solely with Federal funds. No County General Fund match is required. This revenue is included in the Department’s FY 2010-11 Final Budget.
25. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Blanket Purchase Order 17209, Hewlett Packard Printer Maintenance Services/Countywide - Approved Change Order #2, with Golden State Business Systems increasing the maximum amount by $4,500 for a revised maximum amount of $53,000.
b. Competitive Bid #10026, Six Patrol Sedans/Public Works/Fleet Services - Awarded to Theodore Robins Ford, in the total amount of $170,089.74.
26. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Change Order #1, Blanket Purchase Order #17395 – Approved Change Order #1 to Blanket Purchase Order #17395 with Placer Equipment Rental of Auburn and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting change order, increasing the maximum amount by $40,000 for a revised maximum amount of $87,500.
b. Donner Pass Road Stabilization Project, Contract #1099 - Resolution 2010-319 adopted authorizing the Director of Public Works to allocate additional funding to Contract #1099 in the amount of $50,000, and sign a Contract Change Order in the same amount to support additional work for the Donner Pass Road Stabilization Project.
c. Blue Canyon Airport/Runway Restriping Project – Resolution 2010-320 adopted authorizing the submittal of an application for an Acquisition and Development Grant to Caltrans Division of Aeronautics for the runway restriping project at the Blue Canyon Airport – Nyack, in the amount of $9,000, and approved a Budget Revision to the Special Aviation budget.
d. Maintained Mileage Records – Resolution 2010-321 adopted certifying the Maintained Mileage Records which results in a new total County maintained mileage of 1055.956.
e. Sunnyside Bus Shelters, Contract #1093 – Resolution 2010-322 adopted accepting the Sunnyside Bus Shelters project as complete and authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute the Notice of Completion.
f. Federal Transit Administration Funds 1) Resolution 2010-323 adopted approving a Budget Revision to add $282,088 to the 2010/11 Department of Public Works Placer County Transit Budget to pass through FTA grant funds to the City of Auburn and 2) Authorized the Chairman to execute an agreement with the City of Auburn to pass through FTA grant funds to the City.
27. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY – Adopt a Resolution adopted authorizing the Redevelopment Director or designee to execute a Construction Design Services Agreement with Bennett Engineering Services Inc. (BEN/EN) for engineering design services for the Highway 49 Streetscape in a not to exceed amount of $124,995, and authorizing the Redevelopment Director or designee to amend the Agreement, as needed, for up to an additional $25,000.
28. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Education Foundation Grant Program to benefit the students in the Auburn Union Elementary School District, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($250).
b. Approved appropriation of $100 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Del Oro High School Safe and Sober Grad Night 2011 to benefit their safe and sober graduation event, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($100).
c. Approved appropriation of $200 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln High School 2011 Sober Grad Night Celebration to help defray the cost of the event, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($200).
d. Approved appropriation of $1,000 in Revenue Sharing monies to the North Roseville R.E.C. (Recreation Education Creativity) Center to help provide assistance to low-income families in the Roseville community during the holiday season, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($1,000).
e. Approved appropriation of $300 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer County Japanese American Citizens League (JACL) to benefit the 100th Battalion / 442nd Regimental Combat Team Memorial, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($300).
f. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer High School Breaking Down The Walls Program to help offset the cost of the school workshops, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($500).
g. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer Sportsmen 64th Annual Kid’s Fish Derby to benefit the event, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($500).
h. Approved appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Rocklin Unified School District Rocklin Little Thunder Golf Tournament Event to benefit the Rocklin Elementary Schools and Rocklin High School athletes, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($250).
i. Approved appropriation of $1,000 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Roseville Host Lions Club Christmas Food Basket Program to help support the purchase of perishable and non-perishable food items, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($1,000).
29. SHERIFF - Approved Change Order #1 to Blanket Purchase Order #17305 with National Medical Service Inc., for Coroner related Laboratory Services, increasing the maximum amount by $12,000, for a revised amount of $82,000, to expire December 31, 2010 and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting Change Order. There is no impact to the General Fund.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEM MOVED FROM CONSENT AGENDA FOR DISCUSSION:
27. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY – Resolution 2010-324 adopted authorizing the Redevelopment Director or designee to execute a Construction Design Services Agreement with Bennett Engineering Services Inc. (BEN/EN) for engineering design services for the Highway 49 Streetscape in a not to exceed amount of $124,995, and authorizing the Redevelopment Director or designee to amend the Agreement, as needed, for up to an additional $25,000. MOTION Rockholm/Montgomery/Unanimous
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
30. PERSONNEL - Classified Service Merit Increases.
ADJOURNMENT – Next regular meeting is Tuesday, December 14, 2010.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2010/2011 MEETING SCHEDULE:
December 14, 2010
January 11, 2011
January 25, 2011
February 8, 2011
February 22, 2011