COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, MAY 7, 2013
Jack Duran, District 1, Vice Chairman David Boesch, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Holly Heinzen, Chief Assistant County Executive Officer
Jim Holmes, District 3, Chairman Gerald O. Carden, County Counsel
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you require disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Duran honoring the late John Piches.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – 1) Vivienne Yamamoto, President of the Sacramento Blue Star Mom’s, advised the Board of the Gala Reception honoring the Dignity Memorial Vietnam Wall, Saturday, May 18, 2013 at the Citrus Heights Community Center, Citrus Heights, CA, and that the Memorial would be open to the public 24 hours a day from May 23-27, 2013 at the Mount Vernon Memorial Park and Mortuary, Fair Oaks, CA.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Chairman Holmes read a letter received from the California State Department of Veterans Affairs advising the Placer County Veterans Service Office obtained new and increased monthly cash benefits, from July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012, in the amount of $2,232,480, on an annual basis this amounts to more than $26,789,760 in new benefit payments. In addition, the Veterans Service Office obtained $12,477,372 in one time benefits which consist of single and retroactive payments received by veterans and dependents.
9: 30 a.m.
1. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING SERVICES
a. Landscape Design Guidelines
1. Conducted a Public Hearing to consider Proposed Landscape Design Guidelines,
2. Adopted the Negative Declaration, including the errata sheet, for the Proposed Landscape Design Guidelines, and
3. Adopted Resolution 2013-84 adopting the Placer County Landscape Design Guidelines.
There is no net County cost associated with these actions.
2. SHERIFF/COUNTY EXECUTIVE
a. South Placer Adult Correctional Facility – Phase I Transition and Funding Plan
1. Received a briefing from the Sheriff’s Office on the South Placer Adult Correctional Facility (SPACF) Phase I Transition Plan;
2. Received a briefing from the County Executive Office on the funding plan for the Phase I Transition Plan; and,
3. Provided direction to staff to include funding for the Phase I Transition Plan in the FY 2013-14 Proposed Budget.
3. FACILITY SERVICES
a. Mid-Western Placer Regional Sewer Project and Applegate Regional Sewer Project Updates
1. No action requested. This item provides an information update on the status of the Applegate Regional Sewer Project serving the Applegate area and the Mid-Western Placer Regional Sewer Project in North Auburn.
b. Sewer Maintenance District 1 & Applegate Sewer Maintenance and Operations Fee Increase
1. Conducted a Public Hearing to receive comments and consider protests regarding increasing the monthly Maintenance and Operation (M&O) fee in Sewer Maintenance District 1 (SMD 1) and County Service Area 28 Zone 24 (Applegate CSA) from $82.00 to $95.78 per Equivalent Dwelling Unit (EDU) to finance the Mid-Western Placer Regional Sewer Project (Regional Project). A total of 530.15 SMD #1 EDU protests were received and are less than the 3,930 EDU threshold for a majority protest. A total of 7.36 CSA 28, Zone 24 (Applegate) EDU protests were received and are less than the 20 EDU threshold for a majority protest.
2. Ordinance 5708-B adopted adjusting M&O fees included in Section 13.12.350 of the Placer County Code.
3. Made a finding pursuant to Section 21080(b)(8) of the Public Resource Code, that the higher fees are derived directly from the cost of providing service and are necessary to meet operating expenses required for maintenance of service, and are therefore exempt from environmental review.
4. Directed staff to assess monthly M&O fees of $95.78 per EDU in SMD 1 and the Applegate CSA in order to finance the Regional Project exclusively through user fees.
MOTION Duran/Montgomery VOTE 3:2 (Uhler, Holmes No)
4. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING SERVICES
a. Cabin Creek Biomass Facility (PCJP 20110376) - Third-Party Appeal of the Planning Commission’s Certification of a Final Environmental Impact Report and Approval of a Conditional Use Permit
1. Conducted a Public Hearing to consider a third-party appeal filed by Kevin Bundy on behalf of the Center for Biological Diversity.
2. Denied the third-party appeal filed by Kevin Bundy on Behalf of the Center for Biological Diversity.
3. Certified the Final Environmental Impact Report including the Addendum for the Cabin Creek Biomass Facility project, adopted the Statement of Findings and adopted the Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Plan.
4. Approved the Conditional Use Permit to allow for the construction and operation of the Cabin Creek Biomass Facility project, based on the findings set forth in the staff report and subject to the modified Conditions of Approval in Attachment 4.
There is no net County cost associated with these actions.
5. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT
a. Blanket Purchase Orders, Various Departments
1. Approved the award of sole source Blanket Purchase Orders (BPOs) with Columbia Ultimate Business Systems, Inc. of Vancouver, WA, Oracle America, Inc. of Redwood City, CA, Oregon Community Health Network, Inc. of Portland, OR, and Megabyte Systems, Inc. of Rocklin, CA for annual software licensing and support in the maximum aggregate amount of $1,088,586, funds are included in the FY 2013-14 department budgets for these expenses resulting in no additional net county cost, and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting BPOs.
6. HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
a. Adult System of Care, Revenue Contract, California Department of Health Care Services
1. Approved revenue agreement 12-89383 with the California Department of Health Care Services for the management of the Mental Health Managed Care program for Placer County from May 1, 2013 through June 30, 2018, with projected federal revenue during FY 2013-14 of $6 million ($2.2 million net County cost and $3.75 million State match), and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments.
b. Children’s System of Care, Budget Revision and Contract Amendments to Provide Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services
1. Approved contract amendment CN013172-A with New Leaf Counseling Services, increasing funding by $177,000 for the period from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013 and $77,000 for the period of July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014 for a revised combined total of $643,710 (no net County cost);
2. Approved contract amendment CN013173-A with Progress House, Inc., increasing funding by $81,000 for the period from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013 and $81,000 for the period of July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014 for a revised combined total of $911,200 (no net County cost);
3. Approved contract amendment CN013163-A with Community Recovery Resources, increasing funding by $100,000 for the period from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013 and $100,000 for the period of July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014 for a revised combined total of $1,897,200 (no net County cost);
4. Approved a Change Order to Blanket Purchase Order No. BP019942 with Phamatech, Inc. for FY 2012-13 for drug and alcohol lab testing services, increasing funding by $39,400 for a revised total of $143,400 (no net County cost);
5. Increased the maximum payment authorization (“umbrella contract”) amount to Systems of Care mental health private network providers for FY 2012-13, increasing funding by $130,000 for a revised total of $600,000 (no net County cost) and authorized the Auditor-Controller’s Office to increase the payment ceiling in this amount;
6. Approved the Budget Revision in the amount of $1,100,000 to appropriate funding for these agreements and additional expenditures to the Department’s FY 2012-13 Budget.
c. Children’s System of Care, Independent Living Program, Update and Consideration of Contract with Placer County Office of Education
1. Received an update on the Independent Living Program provided through a contract with Unity Care.
2. Approve a contract with Placer County Office of Education (PCOE) from July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2015 for mandated Independent Living Skills services for eligible Placer County youth ages 15-21 in an amount not to exceed $460,000 (no net County cost), and authorize the Director of Health and Human Services to sign subsequent amendments up to 10 percent of the original contract amount, consistent with the current agreement’s subject matter and Scope of Work.
MOTION Uhler/Duran VOTE 4:1 (Weygandt No) to deny the request to contract with the Placer County Office of Education and continue the contract with Unity Care through the end of next year.
d. Change Order to Blanket Purchase Order with Rite Aid Pharmacy and Safeway
1. Approved a change order to Blanket Purchase Order (BPO) BP020391 with Rite Aid Pharmacy increasing the maximum amount by $1,450,000 (no net County cost) for a new total of $1,695,000, and to BPO BP0020389 with Avia Partners, Inc. dba Safeway increasing the maximum amount by $60,000 (no net County cost) for a new total of $92,000 for the period of February 5, 2013 through December 31, 2013, and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting change orders and transfer funds between BPOs as necessary to meet the County’s needs.
7. PUBLIC WORKS
a. Bridge Replacement Project on Brewer Road at Branch of Curry Creek, Contract 1121
1. Resolution 2013-85 adopted authorizing the Chair to award and execute Contract No. 1121 for the construction of the Bridge Replacement Project at Brewer Road over Branch of Curry Creek, upon the approval of County Counsel and Risk Management, to the lowest responsible and responsive bidder, Viking Construction, Inc. for $985,719. Funding for the project is being provided by the Federal Highway Bridge Program with no net County cost.
2. Authorized the Director of Public Works to execute contract change orders up to an amount of 10 percent of the contract amount.
b. Auburn Folsom Road Widening Project, North Phase San Juan District Utility Construction Cooperative Agreement
1. Resolution 2013-86 adopted authorizing the Chair, with County Counsel and Risk Management review and approval, to execute a Utility Construction Cooperative Agreement with San Juan Water District in an estimated amount of $980,000 to construct their water distribution system improvements within the County roadway in conjunction with the Auburn Folsom Road Widening North Phase Project. All San Juan Water District water distribution system improvement construction costs will be reimbursed by San Juan Water District with no net County cost.
8. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT
(A) §54956.9 – CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Existing Litigation (Government Code §54956.9(d)(1)
(a) Verizon California Inc. v. California State Board of Equalization, et al., Sacramento County Superior Court Case No.: 34-2013-00138191 – The Board authorized County Counsel to defend the County interest in that action.
CONSENT AGENDA – Consent Agenda approved with action as indicated.
9. ORDINANCES – Second reading:
a. Procurement Services/Local Vendor Preference
1. Ordinance 5706-B adopted, amending Article 2.104 of the Administration, Purchasing System Code regarding Local Vendor Preference for the purchase or contracts made pursuant to a non-competitive award process for professional services on the basis of a qualification-based selection.
b. Personnel/District Attorney – Ordinance 5707-B adopted
1. Implementing an approximate seven point five percent (7.5%) salary grade increase for the classification of Supervising District Attorney Investigator.
2. Implementing an approximate one half of one percent (0.5%) salary grade increase for the classification of Chief District Attorney Investigator.
a. State Mandated Audit, Sierra Coordinated Resources Management Council
1. Approved the use of a five-year audit for the Sierra Coordinated Resources Management Council in lieu of an annual audit.
b. Refund of Unclaimed Funds
1. Resolution 2013-77 adopted authorizing the Auditor-Controller to issue a refund payable to DCK, a Partnership, in the amount of $13,861 for the inspection service deposit for Wexford Unit 1, PN9563.
11. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
1. Approved minutes of April 9, 2013.
12. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS
a. Tahoe City Design Review Committee
1. Approved the re-appointment of Ken Foster to Seat #2 and Andrew Otto to Seat #6, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
b. Weimar/Applegate/Colfax Municipal Advisory Council
1. Approved the appointment of Randi Swisley to Seat # 2, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
c. Sheridan Municipal Advisory Council
1. Approved the reappointment of Adam Carpineta to Seat #2, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
d. Fish and Game Commission
1. Approved the reappointment of Mickey Daniels to Seat #5 (representing the Tahoe Area), as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
e. Auburn Veterans Memorial Hall Board of Trustees
1. Approved the appointment of Joseph Ferro, representing Marine Corps League Detachment 1247.
13. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING SERVICES
a. Placer County Conservation Plan, Federal Infrastructure Facilitation and Habitat Conservation Act
1. Resolution 2013-78 adopted supporting the Federal Infrastructure Facilitation and Habitat Conservation Act that will establish a program to provide loans and loan guarantees to public entities that have an approved habitat conservation plan for property acquisitions. There is no net County cost associated with this action.
14. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/ENGINEERING & SURVEYING
a. American Vineyard Village Phase 3, Tract #1003
1. Approved the recordation of the Final Map for American Vineyard Village Phase 3.
2. Approved the recordation of the associated Subdivision Improvement Agreement.
There is no net County cost associated with this action.
15. FACILITY SERVICES
a. Auburn Jail Lift Station Improvements Project, Design Services Agreement
1. Approved an Agreement with HydroScience Engineers (HSE) for design services for the Auburn Jail Lift Station Improvements Project, 04855, in North Auburn, in an amount not to exceed $124,197 in budgeted net county cost and funded within the Capital Project Budget.
16. HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
a. Adult System of Care, Joint Exercise of Powers Agreement
1. Resolution 2013-79 adopted that continues to authorize the Department of Health and Human Services’ participation in the California Mental Health Services Authority and approves the Second Amended and Restated Joint Exercise of Powers Agreement for joint projects in mental/behavioral health services beyond those specified in the Mental Health Services Act;
2. Authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the Second Amended and Restated Joint Exercise of Powers Agreement and to sign all future documents pertaining to the Agreement that may be required;
3. Continued the designation of the Director of the Adult System of Care to represent Placer County on the Authority’s Board of Directors;
4. Authorized the expenditure of $50,000 for projects that benefit Placer County through the use of the CalMHSA Joint Powers Authority ($12,500 net County cost).
b. Human Services, California State Association of Counties (Welfare Case Data Systems)
1. Approved a contract with the California State Association of Counties (CSAC) from July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014 in the amount of $62,637 (no net County cost) authorizing CSAC to act as the fiscal agent and manager for the Welfare Case Data Systems, and authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign the resulting agreement and subsequent amendments up to 10 percent of the original contract amount, consistent with the current agreement’s subject matter and Scope of Work.
c. Children’s System of Care, Re-Licensure for Placer County Children’s Receiving Home
1. Resolution 2013-80 adopted authorizing the Director of Health and Human Services to sign all necessary application forms and file the required application for the Placer Children’s Emergency Shelter with the Community Care Licensing Division of the California State Department of Social Services on behalf of Placer County.
17. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda.
a. Technical Budget Revision, Telecommunications
1. Approved a Technical Budget Revision in the Amount of $2,524 and Modification to the County’s Master Fixed Asset List in Support of the Upgrade to the County’s Enterprise Data Network Infrastructure and Equipment.
b. Blanket Purchase Order, Facility Services
1. Approved an increase to the Blanket Purchase Order (BPO) with California Diesel & Power for generator maintenance services in the amount of $20,000 resulting in a new maximum contract amount of $196,660 for the BPO that expires May 31, 2013, funded in the current Sewer Maintenance Districts, Sewer County Service Areas, and Building Maintenance budget for FY2012-2013 with no net County cost, and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the amended BPO.
c. Blanket Purchase Order, Health & Human Services/Children’s System of Care
1. Approved the renewal of a negotiated blanket purchase order (BPO) with Placer County Process Service Inc. for process server and related services, in the maximum amount of $65,000, funded by Federal and State revenues in the amount of $57,000 and County General Fund in the amount of $8,000, for the period of July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013 and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting BPO.
d. Bid, Sheriff
1. Approved the award of Competitive Bid No. 10245 to San Diego Police Equipment Company of San Diego, CA and Miwall Corporation of Grass Valley, CA for the purchase of various types of ammunition in the total aggregate amount of $78,012, funded by the Sheriff’s Office budget with a net County cost of $78,012, and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting purchase orders.
e. Contract Amendment, Administrative Services/Procurement
1. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to execute an amendment to the Wells Fargo Banking Services Contract to support the County’s Procurement Card Pilot Program in addition to other banking services.
2. Authorized the Purchasing Manager and the Auditor-Controller to take all other actions necessary to implement the County’s Procurement Card Pilot Program.
18. PUBLIC WORKS
a. Abandonment of a Portion of a Public Utility Easement and a Multipurpose Easement, Alpine Meadows
1. Resolution 2013-81 adopted to abandon a portion of a Public Utility Easement and a portion of a Multipurpose Easement on Lots 17 and 18, Alpine Meadows Estates Unit No. 11. There is no net County cost.
b. Auburn Folsom Road Widening North Phase, Contract No. 1151
1. Resolution 2013-82 adopted approving the project plans and specifications for the Auburn Folsom Road Widening North Phase Project, authorizing the Chair to sign the cover sheet.
2. Authorized the Department of Public Works to advertise for bids for the Auburn Folsom Road Widening North Phase construction project. There is no net County cost.
c. Dowd Road Over Yankee Slough Bridge Replacement Project, Subsequent Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration State Clearinghouse No. 2009032002
1. Resolution 2013-83 adopted approving the subsequent Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (IS/MND) with the required findings and the mitigation and monitoring plan for the Dowd Road over Yankee Slough Bridge Replacement Project. There is no net County cost.
d. Northstar Roundabout Modification Contract No. 1136, Amendment No. 1
1. Resolution 2013-87 adopted approving an amendment to Professional Services Agreement No. 1136, Amendment No. 1, with County Counsel and Risk Management review and approval, with Reid Middleton for engineering and construction support services for the roundabout along Northstar Drive in the amount of $28,230 funded by traffic fees which increases the original Professional Services Agreement (PSA) total to $93,230. The period includes FY 2012-13 and FY 2013-14 with no net County cost.
2. Authorized the Director of Public Works to approve up to $10,000 in additional funding.
19. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Placer Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
1. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) Funny Bones Comedy Awards Event to benefit SPCA programs, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($250) and Supervisor Holmes ($250).
b. Placer County Law Enforcement Chaplaincy
1. Approved the appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer County Law Enforcement Chaplaincy to help fund the Annual Volunteer Firefighter Appreciation Dinner, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($250).
c. Auburn Chamber of Commerce
1. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Chamber of Commerce for the Auburn State of the Community Dinner, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($500).
a. Equipment Purchase for Sheriff’s Office Dispatch Unit
1. Approved a Budget Revision in the amount of $28,305 to increase revenue and expenditures to purchase a closed circuit monitoring system for the Sheriff’s Dispatch Unit, authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute all related documents and add the equipment to the Master Fixed Asset List.
21. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR
a. Equipment/Inserter Machine
1. Approved a Budget Revision to move $29,230 from Professional Services to Equipment in the Treasurer-Tax Collector’s budget.
2. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to execute any related documents and amend the Fiscal Year 2012-2013 Master Fixed Asset List to add one (1) Four-Station Heavy Duty Folder Inserter machine in the amount of $29,230 at no additional net county cost.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
a. Internal Audit: Independent Accountant’s Report on the Treasurer’s Statement of Assets–December 31, 2012. This statement is for the quarter ended December 31, 2012.
23. Treasurer-Tax Collector
a. Treasurer’s Statement for the month of March 2013.
ADJOURNMENT – Next regular meeting is Tuesday, May 21, 2013.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2013 MEETING SCHEDULE:
May 21, 2013
June 4, 2013
June 18, 2013
July 9, 2013
July 22, 2013 (Tahoe)
July 23, 2013 (Tahoe)