For Owners / Renters & Small Businesses

If you are not sure if your property is located in a FEMA-designated Special Flood Hazard Area (100 year floodplain), you may request a written determination. You may complete the online Flood Zone Information Request Form (PDF) and submit it to the Floodplain Manager, or contact us at 530-745-7503.

If you wish to make a determination for yourself, you can view FEMA flood hazard maps at the Placer County Community Development Resource Agency‘s customer counter at 3091 County Center Drive in Auburn. Or, you can access floodplain maps online at the FEMA Map Service Center. You do not need an account to get flood zone information-just type in your address under “Product Search.” On the next page, follow the “View” button to get the flood map of the area.

Flood Insurance

If your property is located within a FEMA Special Flood Hazard Area, federal law requires that a flood insurance policy be obtained as a condition of a federally backed mortgage or loan that is secured by the structure. It is up to the mortgage lender to determine whether flood insurance is required for a property.

Placer County participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The NFIP makes federally-backed flood insurance available to homeowners, renters, and business owners in our community. If you don't have flood insurance, contact your property/casualty agent or broker about flood insurance eligibility, rates and coverage.

Homeowner's insurance policies do not cover damage from floods. Don’t wait for the next flood to buy insurance protection. There is a 30 day waiting period before National Flood Insurance coverage takes effect. Learn more about the National Flood Insurance Program.

Development & Construction in a Special Flood Hazard Area

Placer County Ordinance Article 15.52 - Flood Damage Prevention Regulations, addresses requirements for development within floodplain areas. Additionally, County adopted Building Codes include specific construction requirements for flood protection.

For new or substantially improved structures, elevation certificates are required before, during and after construction. The elevation certificate is an important tool for the NFIP to provide information necessary to ensure structures are properly elevated. Elevation Certificates must be completed by a licensed surveyor or engineer.

The NFIP requires that if the cost of reconstruction, rehabilitation, addition, or other improvements to a building equals or exceeds 50% of the building’s market value (substantial improvement), then the building must meet the same construction requirements as a new building. However, County ordinance has a higher standard so a building rehabilitation, addition or improvement is considered substantial at 40% of the building market value.

Additional Information

An excellent source for more information is Homeowner’s Guide to Retrofitting: Six Ways to Protect Your House from Flooding (FEMA Publication 312). It can be read at the Library, ordered (for free) from the Federal Emergency Management Agency by calling 800-480-2520, or viewed and downloaded on FEMA's website.

Guide to Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FEMA-258):