Modify Your Payment

Modifying Your Child Support Order

An existing child support order may be modified (changed) if there is:

  • A significant increase or decrease in either parent’s earnings.
  • A change in custody or the amount of time the child spends with each parent; or
  • A change in any other factor that would affect the child support guideline.

Submit a Request

Either parent may request a review of their child support order. The request must be submitted in writing or by email, and must state the reasons why the amount of the child support order is now too high or too low. A modification may be justified if the support order would change by 20% or $50, whichever is less. Our agency will review the child support order in the event of a major change, like getting a new job, losing a job, or a change in custody or visitation.

Please note that even in situations where it is determined that the basic requirements for a modification to the payment is not qualified, the parent may still proceed to ask the court to review the order.

Estimate Your Child Support Amount

Request a Modification by Email

Mutual Agreement

Another option that is often used, is for both parties in a child support order to come to a mutual decision on what is best for the family. If both parties in a child support case can agree to the support amount ahead of time, a Child Support Specialist will assist in the completion of a stipulation (agreement) for filing with the court. If there is no mutual agreement, a notice to appear in court will be sent to both parties, and a judge or commissioner will calculate the amount.