Employee & Labor Relations
The Employer-Employee Relations Policy (Policy) provides for orderly procedures and positive communication in the administration of employer-employee relations between the County of Placer, its employee organizations, and employees.
The County Executive Officer (CEO), or their representative, serves as the Employee Relations Officer, and is authorized to establish, implement, and administer the provisions of the Policy.
Human Resources Department
The Human Resources Director administers labor relations on behalf of the CEO on matters including wages, terms and conditions of employment, provisions of the civil service system, and allocations and compensation. The Director may:
- Negotiate labor agreements with recognized employee organizations
- Resolve contract disputes
- Negotiate policy changes and side letter agreements
- Provide guidance and policy advice to County management, the County Executive Office, and the Board of Supervisors
Placer County has four recognized bargaining units:
- Placer Public Employees Organization (PPEO) - General and Professional Units
- Placer County Deputy Sheriffs' Association (DSA)
- Placer County Law Enforcement Management Association (LEMA)
Memorandums of Understanding and Side Letter Agreements
A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is a negotiated labor agreement between Placer County and the bargaining unit. Side Letter Agreements are agreed to during meet and confer sessions to amend certain provisions of an MOU and are typically effective for the remainder of the MOU term.
Placer Public Employees Organization (PPEO)
Represented by IUOE, Stationary Engineers, Local 39
- Placer Public Employees Organization MOU (PDF) - July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2022
- PPEO Side Letter Agreement - Various Updates (PDF)
- PPEO Side Letter Agreement - Public Safety Dispatcher (PDF)
- PPEO Side Letter Agreement - Salary Range B After full Workday Implementation (PDF)
- PPEO Side Letter Agreement - Correctional Officer Fourteen Day Work Period (PDF)
- PPEO Side Letter Agreement - Tahoe Branch Assignment Premium (PDF)
- PPEO Side Letter Agreement - Correctional Officers On-Duty Fitness Program (PDF)
- PPEO Side Letter Agreement - Longevity (PDF)
- PPEO Amended Side Letter Agreement - Longevity (PDF)
Deputy Sheriffs' Association (DSA)
Represented by Mastagni Holstedt, APC
- Deputy Sheriffs' Association MOU (PDF) - June 1, 2015 - June 30, 2018
- DSA Side Letter Agreement - Sick Leave Contribution from Other Employees (PDF)
- County of Placer / DSA Factfinding Report (PDF) - August 2021
- DSA Resolution Imposing Terms (PDF) - September 2021
On November 30, 2021, the County and DSA began good faith negotiations on a new agreement.
Placer County Law Enforcement Management Association (LEMA)
Represented by Goyette & Associates
- PCLEMA MOU (PDF) - August 31, 2021 - June 30, 2023
Placer County strives to establish and maintain harmonious and cooperative relationships between the County and its employees. Therefore, an orderly grievance procedure has been established for the settlement of differences. This keeps the channels of communication open, free from interference, restraint, coercion or reprisal. This procedure applies to all represented, classified management, and confidential employees of the County with minor procedural differences between the units. Please see Placer County Code Chapter 3.08 Part 4 Violations of Chapter 3 or Civil Service Rules for complete information.
- Grievance Form - Deputy Sheriffs' Association (PDF)
- Grievance Form - PPEO, LEMA, Classified Management, Confidential (PDF)
If a grievance is not settled, a formal complaint may be submitted as described in Placer County Code Section 3.08.300 Grievance - Initiation of Proceedings.