Marriage Certificate Copies
Importance of Certified Copies
Beginning January 1, 2010 the California Health and Safety Code Section 103526 permits only specific individuals to receive an Authorized Certified Copy of a marriage record.
An Authorized Certified Copy of a marriage record is required to conduct a name change on a driver's license, passport or social security card. Please see below for list of authorized individuals.
Those who do not meet the criteria for an Authorized Certified Copy may receive an Informational Certified Copy with the words "Informational, Not a Valid Document to Establish Identity" imprinted across the face of the copy.
Individuals Permitted to Receive an Authorized Certified Copy
Public (Non-Confidential) Marriage Certificates
Individuals permitted to receive an Authorized Certified Copy of a non-confidential (public) marriage certificate:
- The registrant (one of the parties to the marriage.)
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order (must include a certified copy of the court order with this request.)
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business.
- A parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse or domestic partner of the registrant.
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate.
Those who are not authorized by law to receive an authorized certified copy of a non-confidential (public) marriage record will receive an informational certified copy marked “Informational, not a valid document to establish identity.”
Confidential Marriage Certificates
Individuals permitted to receive an Authorized Certified Copy of a confidential marriage certificate:
- The registrant (one of the parties to the confidential marriage.)
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order (must include a certified copy of the court order with the request.)
An informational certified copy of a confidential marriage certificate cannot be issued.
Marriage Certificates are $17 for a public record and $22 for a confidential record.
For in-person, mail and fax orders
· For Marriage Certificate Application please click hereFees.
For online orders
· Placer County Clerk-Recorder has partnered with VitalChek Network, Inc., an independent company, through which an order may be placed at www.vitalchek.com.
- Expedited shipping available through VitalChek
- Additional fees are charged by VitalChek for using this service.