Gasoline Dispensing Facility - Vapor Recovery
Most of the Gasoline Dispensing Facilities (GDF) are required to meet the vapor recovery and control requirements of District Rule 214, Transfer of Gasoline into Vehicle Fuel Tanks (PDF), as well as those applicable California Health and Safety Code Sections 41950-41964, the California Code of Regulations Sections 94010-94168, including the California Air Resources Board (CARB) Executive Orders. The Permit to Operate, issued for each facility outlines specific operating requirements, Annual Testing, and Maintenance and Recordkeeping. To help owner/operators with following these conditions, the District has issued an Advisory Notice for Gasoline Dispensing Facility with Underground Tanks (PDF). The information is to help in the operation and compliance at the facility. The annual testing information is applicable for all GDFs.
Performance testing and inspection of GDF vapor recovery and control equipment by a certified contractor is required annually (within 30 days of the anniversary of the most recent successful test). Test scheduling is the responsibility of the GDF owner/operator, and the District must be notified at least 15 days prior to the testing. Test results must be received at the District within 30 days of the testing date. All test failures must be noted in the results received by the District. Test notifications and results can be emailed to Vapor Recovery or faxed to 530-745-2373.
Self-Inspection, Maintenance & Recordkeeping for Facilities with Underground Storage Tanks
Routine weekly, quarterly (for facilities with a Clean Air Separator), and yearly inspections of the vapor recovery equipment are required. These inspections, as well as In-Station Diagnostics (ISD) failure alarms, maintenance, and repairs performed, are required to be documented. Forms that may be used for inspection documentation are:
- Assist (Healy) System Weekly Self-Inspection Form, Quarterly Self-Inspection Form, Maintenance/Repair/ISD Alarm Log and Instructions (PDF)
- Balance System Weekly Self- Inspection Form, Maintenance/Repair/ISD Alarm Log and Instructions (PDF)
Unannounced inspections of GDF equipment and records are performed by the District on a roughly annual schedule.
For questions please email us.
- January 2016 Advisory Notice for Gasoline Dispensing Facilities with Underground Storage Tanks (PDF)
- CARB Vapor Recovery Program
- ARB Advisory 343A Enhanced Vapor Recovery (EVR)-Certified Low Permeation Replacement Hoses for Assist Phase II EVR Systems (PDF)
- CARB Advisory 405-D Revised In-Station Diagnostic System Alarm Response Policy (PDF)
- CARB Executive Orders
- CARB Test Procedures
- CARB Vapor Recovery Page Email Notification List Registration
- CARB Vapor Recovery Program Advisory 405-D FAQ (PDF)
- May 2019 Advisory Notice for GDFs with In-Station Diagnostics Regarding Cold Starts. (PDF)