Marriage Licenses

Our Auburn office processes marriage license applications between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. No appointment is necessary if you are applying for a license in our Auburn office.

Marriage license applications are also accepted in our Carnelian Bay office, however, it is by appointment only. Schedule your appointment online anytime.

Schedule Tahoe Marriage License Appointment

Name Equality Act

The Name Equality Act of 2007 (AB 102, Chapter 567, Statutes of 2007) gives specific rights to parties who are applying for their California marriage license, to choose and list on the marriage license, the new name(s) that each party will go by after marriage (Family Code 306.5 (PDF)) This law only pertains to marriage licenses issued on or after January 1, 2009 and does not apply to marriage licenses issued prior to that date.

Please note that parties are not required to have the same name, nor are they required to change their name. If one or both of the parties want to have their new name(s) shown on their marriage license, the new name must be entered on the marriage license application at the time they are applying for their marriage license. The name you indicate on your marriage license application will be your name on the marriage license certificate and cannot be changed by the County Clerk. If you do not indicate a new name on your marriage license, a court order will be required to do a name change.

For more information please visit the Office of Vital Records website.

Wedding Keepsakes are available.

Public & Confidential Marriage Licenses

There are two types of marriage licenses a couple may apply for: Public (PDF) and Confidential (PDF). Both types of marriage licenses are valid for 90 days from the date they are issued and may be used anywhere in the state of California. The Confidential Marriage license must be used in the county where it was purchased. You must present the license to the person who is to perform the marriage ceremony. After the ceremony is performed, it is their responsibility to complete the license and to return it to the County Clerk for filing within 10 days after the ceremony.

Schedule Marriage Ceremony at Auburn Clerk’s Office

  1. Public
  2. Confidential
  3. Miscellaneous

Applying for a Public Marriage License

Parties to be married must do the following to apply for a marriage license:

  • Apply together and apply in person.
  • Present a government issued picture identification, such as a driver's license, passport or military ID.
  • Provide full names, including mother's maiden names, and state or country of birth for parents.
  • If previously married or in a State Registered Domestic Partnership, provide the date of dissolution, death or termination.

Who May perform Marriage Ceremonies Per Family Code Section 401

Marriage ceremonies may be performed by:

  • Any priest, minister, or rabbi of any religious denomination
  • Assistant commissioner of a court of record
  • Commissioner or retired commissioner
  • Judge or magistrate who has resigned from office, mayor, city clerk, county supervisor
  • Judge or retired judge
  • Person authorized to do so under Family Code Section 401

Family Code Section 401

For each county, the county clerk is designated as a commissioner of civil marriages. The commissioner of civil marriages may appoint deputy commissioners of civil marriages who may perform marriage ceremonies under the direction of the commissioner. For more information, visit the Deputy Marriage Commission for a Day page.

Civil Marriage Ceremonies

On a limited basis, ceremonies are performed through the Clerk-Recorders Office, Monday through Friday. Appointments are preferable, please call at least 24 hours in advance for scheduling the appointment. Those without an appointment will be served in accordance to available staff.