Real Property records

Our office is expanding into South Placer on August 14, 2023!

Recording Process

The Recorder's Office records documents affecting title on real property located in Placer County. Documents for recording may be presented over the counter or by mail. The recording window is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Documents that are accepted for recording during those hours are recorded the same day. Documents that are accepted after the recording counter has closed are recorded the following workday.

After a document has been recorded, a scanned image of it is made. The recorded documents are also used to create a daily grantor/grantee index. This index is cross-referenced by document type, document number and the names of the parties involved. The index and the scanned images of the original documents are available for use by the public for research or to have copies made in the office only. Scanned images are not available online.

Online Real Estate Records

Search Official Real Estate Records

How to Order Official Record Copies

Copies of recorded documents can be purchased at the Recorder’s Office from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for legal holidays.


  • Non-certified copies are $2 for the first page and $1 for each additional page.
  • Certified copies are $4 for the first page and $1 for each additional page.
  • Copies may be faxed or emailed for a fee of $4.25.

By Mail

Copies of official records may be purchased through the mail. All copy requests must have a daytime phone number, an address to mail the copy to, and a check or money order for payment. A self-addressed stamped legal sized envelope will help speed delivery.

A request for a copy should include the type of document, the parties named on the document, and the recording reference number. A search of our online index will enable you to provide the necessary recording reference number.

Copy requests should be mailed to:
Placer County Recorder-Clerk
3715 Atherton Road
Rocklin, CA 95765

Payment Types

  • Checks - The Recorder's Office does accept personal checks. All checks must have the account holder's name, address, phone number, account number and check number pre-printed on them. Checks should be made payable to Placer County Recorder.
  • Credit Cards - Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express are accepted. All credit card orders are assessed an additional fee.
  • Money Orders - Money orders should be made payable to Placer County Recorder.

Real Property Fraud Prevention and Courtesy Notification Program

The Placer County Recorder, Ryan Ronco, announces a new real estate notification program to help protect property owners from unauthorized transfers of real property. The program automatically notifies the property owner when a document is recorded that may affect ownership of real property. The letter will contain information regarding this program as well as the first page of the recorded document that triggered the letter.

In most cases, the property owner is aware of these transactions and in such a case, nothing needs to be done.  

The types of document recordings that will trigger the letter include but are not limited to Grant Deeds and Quitclaim Deeds. When you receive a letter from the Placer County Recorder’s Office be sure to thoroughly review the included first page of the included official recorded document for accuracy.

If you give only part ownership to someone else, you will be listed as both the Grantor and Grantee, along with the person you gave interest to. Your signature must appear on the document.

Being both a Grantor and a Grantee means that you have given part ownership of your property to someone else while remaining a part owner yourself.

  • You did not give full or partial ownership of your home to someone else.
  • Your signature was forged on the document.
  • The document was changed after you signed it.
  • The document contains an incorrect property description.
  • The documents have been sent to you in error.

If you have questions about the recorded document or letter please contact the Placer County Recorder’s Office at (530) 886-5600 or email [email protected].

If you believe the document recording is fraud contact the District Attorney’s Fraud Alert Hotline— (916) 645-SCAM (7226).

You can search the Placer County Recorder Real Property Index online using this link: 

Search Placer County Recorder Public Index

Frequently Asked Questions


  • I just received this notice in the mail—Are you saying that someone has committed fraud against me?


The notice is automatically sent out to the Owner of Record any time a Grant Deed or Quitclaim Deed is recorded with the Recorder’s Office.  Questions that may give insight on the document that you received:

      -Have you… 

                                    …transferred title to your property recently?

                                    …added a family member to your title?

                                    …transferred ownership of your property to a Trust?


All of the above situations will result in a document to be recorded, which in turn will trigger a letter to be sent.


  • This notice says that a (insert document type) document was recorded against my property.  What does that mean?


Please see our Definitions of Commonly Recorded Documents.  If you don’t see a definition of the document type in the list, please call the Clerk-Recorder’s Office at (530) 886-5600 and someone may assist you.


  • I don’t remember signing a Grant Deed (Quitclaim Deed), can you check to see if this is legitimate?


Please contact the County Clerk-Recorder’s Office at (530) 886-5600.  Please have the document number and date of recording available so that we may better assist you.


  • I am neither the Grantor nor the Grantee on the attached document—does this mean that someone is committing fraud against me?


Many times, the party that drafted the document put the incorrect Assessor’s Parcel Number (APN) on the document.  The APN may be found on the first page of the document and often within the Legal Description.  In these cases, you may want to contact the party who recorded the document to record a Correction Deed to reflect the correct APN.  This does not necessarily mean that fraud is being committed.  It may simply be a typographical error.


  • I sold the referenced property a few weeks ago, but I’m in receipt of this letter.   Shouldn’t it go to the new owner?


The letters are automatically generated and are mailed out within three days of the recordation of the document.  The update to the Assessor’s Ownership Roll is typically several weeks behind recordation. If you are aware of the transaction, please disregard the notification.  The intent of the letter is to inform property owners of recorded transactions that they may not be aware of.