School Bus Replacements
On-Road Heavy-Duty School Bus Fleet Modernization Eligibility Criteria
The application submittal period is open from April 1, 2020 through June 30, 2020, 5 PM. Please submit original hard copy applications. Faxed or emailed applications will not be considered for funding.
Additional criteria can be found in the 2017 CMP Guidelines, Chapter 4: On-Road Heavy Duty Vehicles.
- Only public school districts which own their own buses or Joint Power Authorities (JPA) between public schools are eligible to apply.
- Existing buses must be greater than 14,000 GVW.
- The existing bus must be in operational condition and have operated in the school District’s fleet for at least two years.
- For school bus electric conversions, the baseline vehicle chassis must be ten years old or newer. CHP requires engineering plans, certified by a California licensed engineer, to be able to safety certify the school bus.
- School buses subject to the Truck and Bus Regulation are only eligible if they meet one of the following requirements:
- The existing school bus must have an OEM diesel particulate filter (DPF) installed.
- The existing school bus must be retrofitted with a DPF that reduces diesel PM emissions by at least 85%.
- The existing school bus must be reported in TRUCRS under the Low-Use exemption.
- The existing school bus must be reported in TRUCRS under the Extension for the Unavailability of Verified Diesel Emission Control Strategy (VDECS). This extension expires on January 1, 2018, at which point such school buses will no longer be eligible for Moyer Program funding.
- School bus fleets must be reported in TRUCKS.
Forms & Applications
- 2017 Carl Moyer Guidelines
- School Bus Modernization Application (PDF)
- Forms W-9 (PDF) and 590 (PDF) must accompany the application. Applicants will receive notification of project status, via email within 30 days of receipt.
Applicants which are not awarded funds, due to a lack of program funds, but would otherwise be eligible for a grant have the option of being placed on a waitlist until additional funds become available. Applicants will automatically remain on the waitlist for up to six months. After that, the applicant must request to remain on the waitlist. If it has been six months since your project has been placed on the waitlist, and you wish to remain, email us a request.