Fictitious Business Name Statements

Our office expanded into South Placer on August 14, 2023!

  • *Pursuant to AB 878, effective 1/1/2024, any registrant who files a fictitious business name statement, statement of abandonment, or statement of withdrawal is required to include a business mailing address instead of a registrant’s residence address on the filing.

Fictitious Business Name Statement forms are available from, and filed at, the Clerk-Recorder’s Office. These are public documents kept on file until they expire or are abandoned. People starting a new business in the county may wish to search the business names on file when considering their business name.

Search Fictitious Business Name Statements

Who Needs to File a Fictitious Business Name Statement?

  • Individuals with a business name that does not include the surname of the individual or a name that suggests the existence of additional owners.
  • Partnerships or other associations of persons with a name that does not include the surname of each general partner or a name that suggests existence of additional owners, such as "Company" or "Associates," and for a limited partnership, any name other than the name as on file with the Secretary of State.
  • Corporations with a name not stated in its articles of incorporation.
  • Organizations not defined as fictitious business names and not required to file a statement are non-profit groups or associations such as churches, hospitals, labor unions, fraternal and charitable organizations, etc., and real estate investment trusts with permits under Section 23002 of the Government Code which have statements on file designating agent for service of process.

If you have questions or would like more information, please refer to the California Business and Professions Code beginning with Section 17900.


Fictitious Business Name Statement Application (PDF)


The Fictitious Name Statement expires five years from the date of filing, 40 days after any change in fact (except change of address of individual, general partner or trustee), or upon abandonment of name.


A person, upon ceasing to transact business in this state under a fictitious name, may file a Statement of Abandonment (PDF), publish same and the newspaper will file an affidavit with the County Clerk.

Withdrawal of a General Partner

A partner, who is leaving a business, whose business classification was filed as a partnership, may file a Statement of Withdrawal (PDF) with the county clerk. Publication is not required if dissolution of the partnership has been published pursuant to the Corporation Code. If published, an affidavit shall be filed with the clerk.


  • The fee for filing a Fictitious Business Name Statement is $30 for the first business name, including one owner on the statement, $5.50 for each additional business name and/or owner on the same statement at the same location.
  • Abandonment or Withdrawal of a Fictitious Name is $30 per business name or owner, and $5.50 for each additional business name or owner on the same statement.
  • The filing fee includes one certified copy. Additional certified copies are $2.
  • Make checks payable to the Placer County Clerk.
  • Publication fee will vary with newspaper.


Within 45 days from the date of filing, the registrant shall start publishing the statement in a newspaper of general circulation, in the county in which the principal place of business is located, once per week for four successive weeks. Within 45 days of the completion of the publication the newspaper shall file an affidavit with the Placer County Clerk. A renewal statement need not be republished if there is no change from the previous application, if it was renewed within the prescribed time frame.

A publication must appear in the Public Notice section of any one of the court approved newspapers listed below. The newspaper you choose from the list will publish the notice once a week for four consecutive weeks. At the end of that time, the newspaper will send our office a Proof of Publication affidavit. The newspaper may also send you a Proof of Publication notice for your records. At this point, you have met the code requirements.

Publisher List

To publish, please contact Gold Country Media at [email protected] or 530-885-5656 (press 7 to contact legals) to choose one of the newspapers listed below:

  • The Auburn Journal
  • Loomis News
  • Roseville Press Tribune
  • Lincoln News Messenger
  • The Placer Herald
  • Colfax Record