The Placer County Clerk-Recorder's office is a passport acceptance agency. Our office will accept and verify all the information needed, collect the necessary fees, pictures and forms, and forward them to the Passport Agency. Your passport will be mailed directly to you from the Passport Agency.
Placer County Passport Appointments
Passport Processing hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. An appointment is required for processing passport applications. A separate appointment is required for processing each individual passport application.
Passport renewals must be submitted by mail using Form DS-82 if your most recent passport meets all five of the following requirements:
- Is submitted with your application
- Is undamaged (other than normal “wear and tear”)
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older
- Was issued within the last 15 years
- Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)
If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must apply in person.
Low-cost passport photos taken on site for $7.78, including tax.
Definition of a Passport
A passport is an internationally recognized travel document attesting to the identity and nationality of the bearer. A passport indicates that its bearer is entitled to receive the protection and assistance of the diplomatic and consular officer of their country while abroad. In essence, it is a request on the part of the issuing government that officials of foreign governments permit the bearer to travel or sojourn (take temporary residence) in their territories and afford them all lawful aid and protection.
Passport Book vs Passport Card
Customers now have the option to apply for a passport book, a passport card or both.
The U.S. Department of State is now issuing a passport card (in addition to the passport book) which is a less expensive, smaller, and a more convenient alternative for travel by land and sea, between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean only. Please note, this card is not valid for travel by air. The passport card is Real ID compliant and can be used for domestic air travel.
Valid for all travel by air, sea or land. The passport book is Real ID compliant and can be used for domestic air travel.
Customers will now have the option to apply for a passport book, a passport card, or both on the DS-11.
Who Can Get a U.S. Passport
- A U.S. passport may be issued to a citizen or national of the United States.
- A person who is not a U.S. citizen or national should apply for documentation to a representative of the country in which that person is a citizen and should contact the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service for requirements to re-enter the United States.
- Unless specifically authorized by a passport issuing office, no person may have more than one valid, or potentially valid, U.S. passport of the same type at any one time.
- All U.S. citizens desiring a passport must obtain individual passports in their own names (including children).
For more information on U.S. passports please visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html
Applying for a Passport
All applicants must appear in person. This includes all minor children. This change is made to further prevent international parental child abduction. The new DS-11, must be executed by both parents or legal guardian(s) of the child. If both parents or legal guardian of a child under 16 years of age are unable to appear, the appearing parent may submit a notarized form DS-3053 that has been completed and signed by the non-appearing parent, in addition to a photocopy of the identification presented to the notary public.
Information Needed for the Passport Application
All applicants must appear in person. This includes children. Bring the following:
- Birth date and birth place of parents of applicant.
- Date of Birth/Place of Birth/Sex
- Description of yourself (color of hair, eyes, etc.)
- Emergency Notification (Not mandatory)
- Height (feet and inches)
- Mailing Address
- Marriage Information
- Name of Applicant (Passport Bearer)
- Other Names Used (if applicable)
- Permanent Address
- Phone Numbers
- Proposed Travel Plans (an accurate departure date is important)
- Social Security Number
With each passport application, please bring the following:
- Certified copy of birth certificate issued by County/State, or Original Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship. A California Abstract of Birth is not acceptable.
- Check or money order for the appropriate fees.
- Two identical color passport photographs (2-inch by 2-inch size) taken within the last six months.
- Valid picture identification such as a driver's license, military ID, or expired passport (an expired license or interim driver's license is not acceptable).
U.S. Department of State Fees
Must be a check or money order (cash or credit card cannot be accepted for this fee).
|Age Bracket||Passport Book Fee||Passport Card Fee||Validity|
|Adults 16 and Over||$110||$30||10 Years|
|Minors 15 and Under||$80||$15||5 Years|
Expedited Service Fees
- Expedite Service for Processing - $60 Fee per person no matter the age.
- Expedite Service for Return Mail - $16.48 Fee per person no matter the age.
To include expedite processing or expedite mailing fees, increase your check payable to U.S. Department of State for the appropriate amount.
Placer County Clerk Fees
May be paid by check, cash, or credit/debit card (credit/debit card use is available with an additional service fee applied). If applying for both passport book and passport card at the same time, only one $35 processing fee will be charged.
- Passport Books - $35 per person, no matter the age
- Passport Cards - $35 per person, no matter the age
- Passport Photos - $7.25 plus tax for a set of two passport sized photos
Passport Processing Time
- Routine processing - 6 to 8 weeks.
- Expedite Processing - 2 to 3 weeks. Fee is $60 per application. When expediting, to shorten the mailing time, you may pay an additional $16.48 per application to expedite the return mail process.
- If traveling within two weeks, you will need to call toll free number 1-877-487-2778, make an appointment, and apply in person in San Francisco.
New Passport Forms
New passport forms are available on the Travel.State.Gov website.
National Passport Information Center
- 900-225-7778 (TDD)
With credit card:
- 888-498-3648 - TDD
24-hour automated service
The Bureau of Consular Affairs publishes a series of travel information booklets called "Tips for Travelers." Single copies of these booklets are for sale for $1 from:
Superintendent of Documents
U.S. Government Printing Office
Washington, D.C. 20402