College Fee Waiver

The California College Fee Waiver program benefits spouses and children of U.S. veterans. Students meeting the eligibility criteria may get their college tuition fees waived if they attend a California Community College, a California State University or a University of California campus. Most eligible students will qualify for the program under either “Plan A” or “Plan B.” Medal of Honor recipients and their children and dependents and survivors of permanently disabled National Guard members may qualify under different plans.

Complete and return the DVS 40 application (PDF) to the County Veteran Service Office. Please also see the College Fee Waver Checklist (PDF) for required documents.

  1. Plan A
  2. Plan B


  • The child of a wartime veteran who is 100% service-connected disabled, or whose death was officially rated as service-connected
  • The spouse or registered domestic partner (RDP) or a wartime veteran who is 100% service-connected disabled
  • The unmarried surviving spouse or un-terminated RDP of a wartime veteran whose death was service connected
  • There is no income limit
  • Children between 14 and 27 years of age, or between 14 and 30 years of age if the child is a veteran
  • There is no age limit for spouses, surviving spouses or RDPs
  • Benefits cannot be awarded if student receives Chapter 35 VA benefits
  • Surviving spouses and un-terminated RDPs must not have remarried
  • Date of veteran’s service-connected death or 100% disability rating must occur prior to child’s 21st birthday