Get a Library Card
Applications for a free Placer County Library card are available at all library locations or you can apply online!
A library card gives you the power to:
- Access your library account online-to place holds, renew, and review your account.
- Borrow books, DVDs, audiobooks and music CDs from all Placer County Library locations.
- Access digital research and homework help, consumer information, and more.
- Place holds on materials of your choosing and have items delivered to your nearest library location.
- Access Library computers (Internet and Microsoft Office programs)
Support your library! Signing up for a card is a vote for library services.
Application & Instructions
1. We offer three different types of cards:
- Online library card (physical card will be mailed to you)
- Online E-card for online library resources (library card number will be emailed to you; physical card will be mailed if address is provided)
- Physical library card (issued at the branch)
Please only pick one.
2. To apply online, complete an application below:
- Library Card Online Application(Adults and Teens (Ages 14-17))
- Child's Online Library Card Application (Ages 0-13)
Please allow up to two weeks to receive library card in the mail.
3. To apply for an E-Card, complete the application below:
- E-Card Application (This application does not require as much information, but only allows access to online library materials)
- Please allow up to 3 days to get your card number emailed to you. If a physical address is provided, a physical card will be sent out as well within two weeks.
4. To apply for a physical card, bring ID and proof of address to nearest location:
- Complete the "Register inside the library" online form at the library and then have staff finalize the process.
- If you are 18 or over, you will need to present photo identification and proof of mailing address.
- If you have no proof of mailing address or identification, you may obtain an E-Card. An E-card allows you to use the public computers and databases. An E-Card does not allow you to check items out of the library.
- Alternatively, fill out the physical library card application (see below) and print it. Filling out the application will help expedite the process of creating your account. Children’s library card applications need to be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
Acceptable Identification Types
- Current California identification card
- Current Driver’s License (California or out of state)
- Matricula Consular
- Military identification
- Prison identification
- Resident Alien Card
- Tribal identification (Native American)
Physical library card applications
Downloadable applications for Adults and Teens (Ages 14 and up)
Downloadable applications for Children (Ages 0 to 13)