Affordable Care Act
Due to the public health emergency declaration on COVID-19/Coronavirus our offices are offering limited services to the public. Our offices are open for regular business hours.
For the safety of our customers and employees all inquiries, questions, and applications should be made via https://benefitscal.com/, or through our call center by dialing 1-888-385-5160, or via mail at P.O. Box 20400, Auburn CA 95604
For more information on Placer County’s response to the COVID-19/Coronavirus please see the following page https://www.placer.ca.gov/coronavirus
In January 2014, the Affordable Care Act expanded health coverage options and now requires most American’s to have health insurance. The Affordable Care Act requires that all health plans must provide essential health benefits. It also:
- Expanded Medi-Cal programs to include adults.
- Offers affordable insurance plans for individuals, families and small businesses through the health benefits exchange, Covered California.
Applying for Medi-Cal
You can apply for Medi-Cal coverage year round. For more information on Medi-Cal call 1-888-385-5160 to talk to a Placer County Program Specialist. You can apply for Covered California during open enrollment which is yearly from November through December for coverage beginning January of the following year.
View more information on affordable healthcare and go to Covered CA, California’s healthcare marketplace. You can also call 888-300-1506 to speak to a customer service representative or review some frequently asked questions.
Covered California will make it simple and more affordable for you and millions of other Californians to get quality health insurance that can't be canceled or denied because of a pre-existing medical condition or if you get sick. If you:
- Are a citizen or have Legal Permanent Residence status
- Live in California
- Are not covered by any other insurance (including MediCare)
- And are not incarcerated
You could be eligible to insurance benefits through Covered CA.
In 2014, the Affordable Care Act required that all health plans provide ten common services, known as essential health benefits. These benefits include:
- Ambulatory services
- Emergency services
- Laboratory services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health and substance use disorder services
- Pediatric services, including dental and vision care
- Prescription drugs
- Preventative and wellness services
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
Health care coverage through Covered CA is very affordable. There are 2 ways that premiums and out of pocket costs can be reduced even further:
- Premium Assistance is available through Advanced Premium Tax Credits. These credits can be immediately applied to your monthly costs or received as a lump sum through your tax return.
- Cost Sharing Subsidies reduce the out of pocket expenses which include co-payments for doctor visits or prescriptions.
Depending upon family size and total gross income, you may be eligible for one or both of these cost saving measures. In some cases, individuals and families may be eligible to no cost health benefits offered through expanded Medi-Cal programs. Use the Shop and Compare Tool to learn more about plan selection and if you qualify for Premium Assistance, Cost Sharing Subsidies and/or Medi-Cal.