WE WILL RE-OPEN OUR BUILDING ON TUESDAY, JANUARY 17TH
2022 Building Standards Code
California’s new 2022 Building Standards Code, also known as Title 24, goes into effect January 1, 2023. All plans or permit applications submitted on this date or after will be required to comply with the updated codes.
Every three years, the State of California adopts new building codes to establish uniform standards for the construction and maintenance of buildings, electrical systems, plumbing systems, mechanical systems and fire and life safety systems.
The 2019 California codes will remain in effect for all plan and permit applications submitted to the Placer County Building Services Division on or before Dec. 31, 2022.
Platinum roofing contractor program
Placer County has implemented a Video Inspection Program to provide an alternative for eligible inspections, including limited re-inspections.
We’re open online
We are open to customers via our award-winning online portal – eServices – which provides a variety of functions available 24/7.
Our eServices website allows citizens to submit commercial and residential development project permit applications online.
Placer County Conservation Program (PCCP)
The implementation date for the Placer County Board of Supervisors approved conservation program is June 1, 2021. For information regarding this program, please click here Version OptionsBuilding ServicesHeadline Placer County Conservation Program Placer County Conservation Program Placer County Conservation Program (PCCP Placer County Conservation Program (PCCP).
Public Counter Services
Starting Tuesday, January 17, 2023,
The Community Development Resource Agency’s public counter in the Auburn Office will be open.
Virtual appointments will be scheduled through the County’s eServices online appointments feature. Following an appointment request, customers will be contacted by staff with a meeting invitation and provide the virtual appointment. It is important to include your e-mail address when making an appointment through our eServices online feature.
For virtual appointments, please download the Microsoft Teams application on your laptop or PC. This download is also available for your cell phone using either Google Play Store or Apple App Store. If you need guidance on getting started with Microsoft Teams, refer to the Microsoft Teams video training videos, specifically those on how to Get started with Teams..
Drop-Ins, In Person and Virtual Appointments Available: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 8am to 4pm
Wednesday 9am to 4pm
*Note, as a result of the limitation of customers in the lobby, drop-in service will be reduced.
Counter will be closed on Fridays
Tahoe City office
Drop-Ins, In Person and Virtual Appointments Available: Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m
Counter will be closed on Fridays
*Note, new building permits applications will not be accepted after 3 p.m.
Please note that our eServices digital suite continues to be available to keep your projects moving. Here you can electronically submit applications for residential and commercial development projects. You can also look up zoning requirements, review permit history, and more from the comfort of your home or business. Anywhere, anytime, online. https://www.placer.ca.gov/eservice
What We Do
We review plans and inspect construction in the unincorporated areas of Placer County to verify that work complies with building codes for safe and habitable structures.
"Helping the community build safe and sustainable dreams through high quality customer service, certainty, engagement, and transparently adaptable standards."
mPOWER is a program providing financing for residential and non-residential property owners to make energy efficiency improvements.
- Are building services available with the COVID-19 closures?
- Are building inspections available with the COVID-19 closures?
- What should I do if my permit has expired?
- What should I do if my permit is going to expire and I cannot complete the project before it will expire?
- What should I do if my first extension is going to expire and I cannot complete the project?
- What should I do if my second extension is going to expire?
- Do I need to apply for a Minor Use Permit to continue the use of the temporary dwelling when extending my building permit?
- Do I need a permit for a storage shed or small building?
- What are the minimum residential stairway requirements?
- Is a permit required to replace a deck?
- Does the County require engineering when replacing composition roof covering with tile?
- Are there pressure testing requirements for Polyethylene, Iron, or Copper water distribution systems?
- What are the driveway construction requirements?
- How do I determine setback requirements?
- How do you locate leach lines for septic systems?
- What can be installed in an easement?
- What are the minimum depth requirement for sewer, gas, water, and electrical lines/conduits?
- Can water, sewer, gas, or electrical be placed in the same trench?
- How do you abandon a septic system?
- How do I check my plan review status?
- How do I know what time my inspection will be?
- What qualifies as an agricultural building?
- Who can provide the requirements for a secondary residence/guest house/in-law quarters?
- How do I schedule an inspection?
- Where do I find the requirements for swimming pool fencing/enclosures?
- What are the plan checking turn-around (time to complete review) standards?
- When can I talk to a Plan Checker or Building Inspector?