Housing Vouchers


Due to the public health emergency declaration on COVID-19/Coronavirus our offices are offering limited services to the public. Our offices are open for regular business hours.  

For the safety of our customers and employees all inquiries, questions, and applications should be made via www.mybenefitscalwin.org, or through our call center by dialing 1-888-385-5160, or via mail at P.O. Box 20400, Auburn CA 95604

For more information on Placer County’s response to the COVID-19/Coronavirus please see the following page https://www.placer.ca.gov/coronavirus

Family Unification Program

The Placer County Housing Authority (PCHA) is opening its Housing Choice Voucher waitlist to accept pre-applications by direct referral for the Family Unification Program (FUP) beginning July 1, 2021, at 8:00 a.m. Referrals will be accepted from partnering social services agency, Placer County Children’s System of Care (CSOC). Applicants referred to PCHA will be added to the waiting list by date and time received with the FUP preference. If an applicant referred for FUP is already active on the HCV waitlist, the preference will be given and the applicant will maintain their current position on the list. The waitlist for FUP will remain open until PCHA determines a sufficient number of pre-applications have been received. 

The Family Unification Program is limited to the following populations:

  1. Families for whom the lack of adequate housing is a primary factor in:
    1. The imminent placement of the family’s child or children in out-of-home care, or
    2. The delay in the discharge of the child or children to the family from out-of-home care.

Eligible youth who have attained at least 18 years and not more than 24 years of age and who have left foster care, or will leave foster care within 90 days, in accordance with the transition plan described in section 475(5)(H) of the Social Security Act and are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless at age 16 or older. Assistance for youth can not exceed 36 months.

If you or anyone in your household is a person with disabilities, and you require a specific accommodation in order to fully utilize our programs and services, please contact Dara Hazen at (530) 889-7676 or [email protected].

Tenant Based Rental Assistance (TBRA)

TBRA provides rental subsidies to very low-income individuals and families in Placer County that were impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and meet the program criteria. (excluding the City of Roseville)

TBRA offers assistance for up to four months of unpaid back rent and late fees accrued after March 13, 2020 (not to exceed $2,500)

 This LIMITED TIME program is scheduled to END on 9/30/2021 and is limited to funds available! See this flyer for more information

Eligibility Criteria:

  • Must be income eligible for the program (see flyer for specifics)
  • Must currently be renting or leasing a unit in Placer County (excluding Roseville City Limits) pursuant to a written rental agreement
  • Owner of the unit must be willing to enter into a rental assistance agreement with Placer County through the TBRA Program.
  • At least of one of the following criteria must be met:
    • The household includes a member that has tested positive for COVID-19 and must quarantine so the wage earner(s) are unable to attend work
    • The household has experienced a documented decrease in total gross monthly household income of at least 30% because of the pandemic
    • The household has experienced a documented loss of income due to the pandemic and is behind or falling behind on rent

 If you know someone who may be eligible to this program have them contact 211

By either dialing 2-1-1 or 1-833-DIAL211 

The 211 operators will go through a screening sheet to determine if the household is potentially eligible. All households that pass the screening will be referred over to Placer County and eligible applicants will be sent the TBRA Application to apply for assistance.

HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive HousingVeteran holding a card that says: Open your heart, and open your doors to a veteran today.

Placer County Housing Authority supports local and federal efforts to end homelessness among Placer County veterans. We encourage landlords to participate in our Housing Choice Voucher Program to help achieve this goal of providing a home to veterans who have served our country. HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) combines the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) rental assistance with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for homeless veterans. The VA provides these services for participating veterans at VA medical centers (VAMC’s) and community based outreach clinics.

Housing Choice Voucher Program

Housing and Urban DevelopmentThe Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV) formerly known as the Section 8 Voucher Program, is a rental Equal Opportunity Housingassistance program to help low and very low-income families, persons with disabilities and seniors so they can live in affordable, safe, and decent housing. This program covers all of Placer County with the exception of the City of Roseville. The City of Roseville has its own Housing Authority.

  1. Applying
  2. Eligibility
  3. Waiting List Status
  4. Housing Documents
  5. Owner Services

Pre-applications will only be taken online during open application periods.