General Relief / General Assistance

For single adults or couples with no dependent children, General Relief provides temporary cash aid for those who are not eligible for federal or state programs or other assistance programs. General Relief is a county funded program that provides financial assistance for eligible county residents who have no other means of support. All General Relief applicants be interviewed by an Eligibility Specialist to complete the application process. Interviews can now be completed by phone but may also be done in office.

The information on this page is for reference only. Speak to a Human Services staff member for the most up-to-date information.

  1. Am I Eligible
  2. Where Can I Apply
  3. What Do I Need to Bring
  4. FAQs

There are four basic eligibility factors:

  • Age - Individuals applying for benefits must be at least 18 years old.
  • Income - All income is counted in the month it is received, and is deducted from the total grant amount.
    • If you are eligible for Unemployment Insurance Benefits you will be required to apply for them if you have not done so already.
  • Residency - You must be a resident of Placer County for at least 15 days, and provide verification of your intent to continue to live in the county.
  • Resources - The combined value of your real and personal property shall not exceed $75.  One vehicle is allowed and exempt from the property limit.

If you own your home, you will be required to sign a lien on the property. If and when this property is sold, the county will seek reimbursement. If you are able to work you will need to register with the Employment Development Department. If you are not able to work the county will tell you what you must do to prove you cannot work.

There may be other factors considered when determining your eligibility. Eligibility Specialists meet with you individually to discuss your situation at the time of your application.