General Relief / General Assistance
For single adults or couples with no dependent children, General Relief provides temporary cash aid for those who are not eligible for federal or state programs or other assistance programs. General Relief is a county funded program that provides financial assistance for eligible county residents who have no other means of support. All General Relief applicants must apply in person and be interviewed by an Eligibility Specialist to complete the application process.
The information on this page is for reference only. Speak to a Human Services staff member for the most up-to-date information.
There are four basic eligibility factors:
- Age - Individuals applying for benefits must be at least 18 years old.
- Income - All income is counted in the month it is received, and is deducted from the total grant amount.
- Residency - You must be a resident of Placer County for at least 15 days, and provide verification of your intent to continue to live in the county.
- Resources - The combined value of your real and personal property shall not exceed $50. One vehicle with a value of less than $1,500 is allowed.
If you own your home, you will be required to sign a lien on the property. If and when this property is sold, the county will seek reimbursement.
There may be other factors considered when determining your eligibility. Eligibility Specialists meet with you individually to discuss your situation at the time of your application.
To apply for General Relief benefits, you must visit one of the offices listed. You will be asked to complete application forms and have an interview with an Eligibility Specialist. The offices include:
All General Relief applicants must have a face to face interview to complete the application process.
The following items (if applicable) are required to process your application:
- Bank account statements (if applicable)
- A picture identification card
- Proof of any income you receive (if applicable)
- Rent and utility receipts/proof of residency
- Social Security card
- Vehicle registration (if applicable)
- How do I apply for general relief?
- If I am eligible, how much will my benefits be?
- Do I have to be a U.S. citizen to be eligible?
- Am I eligible if I am able to work?
- What if I am disabled or unable to work?
- I am homeless. Am I still eligible to receive General Relief benefits?
- What does temporary cash benefits mean?
- Can I get immediate service if needed?
- How will I get my General Relief payments?
- When do I report changes?
- If I receive Supplemental Security Income/State Supplemental Payment am I eligible to benefits?
- What happens if my electronic benefit transfer card is not working?
- What if I have lost my electronic benefit transfer card?