Building Codes & Standards
The Building Services Division uses several model codes to evaluate building plans and permit applications before granting building permits. The Division uses the codes, along with a series of on-site inspections, to help assure that buildings in Placer County are built safely and meet current generally accepted construction standards.
Chapter 15, Article 15.04 of the Placer County Code provides more information on the codes used by the Division to set building standards, including details on snow load requirements. You can either use the Code Table of Contents or search on "building" to find further information.
2019 Building Construction Code Changes
- 2019 California Building Code (PDF)
- 2019 California Electrical Code (PDF)
- 2019 CA Energy Code (PDF)
- 2019 CA Mechanical Code (PDF)
- 2019 CA Plumbing Code (PDF)
- 2019 CA Residential Code (PDF)
Other Building Codes
Other building codes the Division uses which are available online include:
- 2016 Building Codes & Standards
- California Health and Safety Codes
- Snow and Wind Design Criteria
- 2019 Water Efficiency Improvements (PDF)
- Placer County Code Chapter 15, Article 15.12, Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG)
- Placer County Code Chapter 15, Article 15.48, Grading Erosion and Sediment Control
More information about the codes are available at the California State Building Standards Commission website or the International Code Council site for California.
The State of California has all of the manuals and forms for compliance with California’s Energy Efficiency Standards on their site. View the 2019 Building Energy Efficiency Standards.
For assistance or questions regarding the Energy Standards, contact the Energy Hotline at 800-772-3300.
You can email the Planning Division with questions regarding:
- Design guidelines
- Home-to-lot size ratio
- Residential fence heights and locations
- Other zoning related topics
Answers will generally be returned within one business day.