Encroachment Permits

An Encroachment Permit is required for any work within a Placer County maintained road easement or right-of-way. Applicants have the options to apply using the Online Encroachment Permit Application Submittal Portal, directly in person at either the Auburn or Tahoe City office front counter locations, or by email to contacts listed on webpage.


Projects involving major utility underground work (water, sewer, gas, cable, etc.) within the County right-of-way shall apply for a Utility Encroachment Permit. Projects involving greater than 150 feet of trenching will typically need a Utility Encroachment Permit. These types of projects are reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the Engineering and Surveying Division (ESD) with the utility company or applicant paying for at-cost review and inspection services to the County and ESD issuing the Utility Encroachment Permit after Department of Public Works approval. The utility company or consultant may contact ESD for either the Auburn or Tahoe areas using the link below for information and permitting requirements.  

To apply, a completed Utility Encroachment Permit Application (PDF), a completed Project Data Sheet (DOC)and an electronic copy of the plans (.pdf format preferred) for the proposed work shall be submitted directly to the ESD. Applications may be sent to:

Community Development Resource Agency, Engineering and Surveying Division
3091 County Center Drive, Suite 120
Auburn, CA 95603
(530) 745-3110
[email protected] (Placer County Engineering)

Permit Documents


Projects involving standard work or minor utility repairs/connections in the County right-of-way will require an Encroachment Permit from the Department of Public Works. Typical types of work requiring an Encroachment Permit are: 

  • Residential driveways
  • Minor utility work & repairs
  • Structures proposed within setbacks or right-of-way
  • Special events
  • Temporary Traffic Control 
  • Parking Permits
  • Landscaping

To apply for a standard Encroachment Permit or a Minor Utility Encroachment Permit please use the link below for information and permitting requirements.