Hidden Falls Regional Park TrailS Expansion PROJECT
May 14, 2020 Planning Commission Meeting
Pursuant to Executive Order N-29-20 and because social distancing measures have been implemented in the State of California and Placer County in response to the threat of COVID-19, members of this Commission and agency staff will not be required to attend this meeting in person. Commissioners and staff may participate in this meeting by teleconference and the Planning Commission Hearing Room will not be open to the public.
- This meeting is provided as a courtesy so interested parties can provide verbal comments on the Draft Subsequent EIR (There is no need to verbally repeat comments that you have/will submit by May 20, 2020 deadline. All comments, both written and verbal will be responded to in the Final Subsequent EIR that will be prepared)
- NO Decision or Recommendation will be made at this meeting. This meeting is a courtesy meeting for interested parties to provide verbal comments on the Draft Subsequent EIR. Comments regarding the merits of the proposed project are not considered at this time.
- Following the close of the public comment period on the Draft Subsequent EIR (May 20, 2020), preparation of the Final Subsequent EIR (FSEIR) will commence. Once complete, the FSEIR will be released to the public, and the project will be scheduled for future meetings and/or consideration. All those who have provided comments or expressed interest will receive notice of those future opportunities for participation and input.
TIPS for COMMENTERS:
- Only comments on the environmental document (the Draft Subsequent EIR) are considered at this time.
- Please keep comments brief and concise – less than 3 minutes.
- If someone else has already made your same comment, there is no need to reiterate that comment as it will be responded to in the Final Subsequent EIR at a future date.
HOW TO COMMENT ON THE DRAFT SUBSEQUENT EIR:
- BEST: Send written comments to [email protected], mail to Placer County Community Development Resource Agency, Environmental Coordination Services, 3091 County Center Drive, Suite 190, Auburn, CA 95603, or fax (530) 745-3080
- OR: Provide verbal comments at the May 14, 2020 meeting:
- 530-886-1800 – this is LIVE public comment line (call this line during the meeting to provide a verbal comment on the Draft Subsequent EIR)
- 530-886-1810 – this is RESERVATION LINE (call this number prior to the hearing and staff will call back when it is time for your comment on the Draft Subsequent EIR)
HOW TO LIVE STREAM OR LISTEN TO THE MEETING:
Audio-Video: Live stream the meeting from https://www.placer.ca.gov/3925/Meeting-Videos
Audio Only: Dial 1-619-483-4068 and enter I.D. 223370375#. (Call this number to LISTEN LIVE. This option is offered to those who cannot stream live)
Again, written comments should be sent to Placer County Community Development Resource Agency, Environmental Coordination Services, 3091 County Center Drive, Suite 190, Auburn, CA 95603; or fax (530) 745-3080; or email to [email protected].
If you would like to be placed on the email update list, please provide your email address to [email protected].
The proposed trail expansion area is located northeast, west and east of the existing Hidden Falls Regional Park, and south of the Bear River in Placer County. The Project area is approximately 40 miles northeast of Sacramento. The existing Hidden Falls Regional Park area encompasses approximately 1,200 acres, and includes a parking area at Mears Place, as well as an already-permitted future parking area located off of Garden Bar Road.
The proposed expansion areas to the northeast of the existing park consist of the areas known as Taylor Ranch (321 acres) and Harvego Bear River Preserve (1,773 acres), as well as privately-owned parcels with trail easements, such as the Liberty Ranch (313 acres). The trails will also cross the Kotomyan Preserve (160 acres) and the Outman Big Hill Preserve (80 acres). These areas are owned by the Placer Land Trust and are to be held as conservation land in perpetuity. Entry to these areas is currently limited to guided tours led by the Placer Land Trust. Placer County has trail easement rights within these properties. The proposed expansion area also includes a 40-acre County-owned parcel off of Garden Bar Road, as well as County-owned connectivity properties and an easement between the existing Hidden Falls Regional Park and Taylor Ranch, and a 50-acre property located off of Bell Road (Twilight Ride property). All totaled, the proposed expansion area includes approximately 2,765 acres. The County has applied for a modification of the existing Hidden Falls Regional Park Conditional Use Permit which would encompass both the existing park and the Trail Expansion areas.
A parking lot and trail connection is proposed from the County-owned parcel off of Garden Bar Road to the west of the existing park. Additionally, parking and trailhead access is proposed from the Twilight Ride property on Bell Road, as well as from the Harvego Bear River property.
An NOP was previously issued for the Project, inviting comment from January 31, 2017 through March 1, 2017. A Revised NOP was released from June 5, 2018 through July 6, 2018 because the project description had been amended to reflect the potential use of 50 acres located at 5345 Bell Road in Auburn (APNs 026-110-012 and 018) (the "Twilight Ride property") for additional trailhead parking (approximately 100 auto and 40 horse trailer spaces), as well as potential horse-boarding and concessions. Horse-boarding and concessions have since been removed from the Project Description. The Draft Subsequent Environmental Impact Report (Draft SEIR) was released for a 60-day public review and comment period from February 20, 2018 through April 20, 2018.
A FAQ (PDF) is available that addresses the most common questions regarding the Hidden Falls Regional Park Trails Expansion Project.
For more information regarding the Hidden Falls Regional Park Trails Expansion Project, please contact Andy Fisher by phone at 530-889-6819.
Environmental Impact Report Documents
- Second Amended Notice of Availability of Draft SEIR (PDF)
- Hidden Falls Draft SEIR - FULL VERSION (PDF)
- Cover Page and Table of Contents (PDF)
- Chapter 1 - Introduction (PDF)
- Chapter 2 - Executive Summary (PDF)
- Chapter 3 - Project Description (PDF)
- Chapter 4 - Land Use and Agricultural Resources (PDF)
- Chapter 5 - Soils, Geology, Seismicity, and Mineral Resources (PDF)
- Chapter 6 - Cultural and Tribal Cultural Resources (PDF)
- Chapter 7 - Visual Resources (PDF)
- Chapter 8 - Transportation and Circulation (PDF)
- Chapter 9 - Air Quality (PDF)
- Chapter 10 - Noise (PDF)
- Chapter 11 - Hydrology and Water Quality (PDF)
- Chapter 12 - Biological Resources (PDF)
- Chapter 13 - Public Services and Utilities (PDF)
- Chapter 14 - Hazardous Materials and Hazards (PDF)
- Chapter 15 - Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Energy (PDF)
- Chapter 16 - Wildfire (PDF)
- Chapter 17 - Alternatives (PDF)
- Chapter 18 - Other CEQA Sections (PDF)
- Chapter 19 - Report Preparers (PDF)
- Chapter 20 - References (PDF)
- Appendix A - NOP and Scoping Report (PDF)
- Appendix B - Trail Easements (PDF)
- Appendix C - Cultural Resource Report (PDF)
- Appendix D - Traffic Impact Study (PDF)
- Appendix E - Air Quality Emissions (PDF)
- Appendix F - Noise Data (PDF)
- Appendix G - Geotechnical Report for Bridge Crossing (PDF)
- Appendix H - Hydrology Report for Bridge Crossing (PDF)
- Appendix I - Biological Resources (PDF)
- Appendix J - Septic Reports (PDF)
- Appendix K - Environmental Site Assessments (PDF)