Explorer Post 901 is a 501(c)(3) in part with the Placer Sheriff's Activities League, sponsored by the Placer County Sheriff’s Office. This successful program is designed to educate and involve young men and women in Sheriff operations and to interest them in law enforcement functions, whether they enter the field of law enforcement or not.
Law Enforcement Explorers are volunteers. As an Explorer, young adults have the opportunity to assist the Placer County Sheriff’s Office. Explorers have the opportunity to broaden their understanding and firsthand knowledge of the challenges and job skills that make up their community’s law enforcement service. In addition to gaining a working knowledge of police work, participants have the opportunity to also volunteer within their community.
- Be between the ages of 15 to 20 years of age
- Be of good moral character
- Appropriate weight for height and build
- No serious police record
- Minimum 2.5 Grade Point Average in all school work
- Be able to attend bimonthly Explorer meetings
- Be willing to volunteer your time to attend Explorer functions
- Be willing to commit to the Law Enforcement Code of Ethics and exemplify the professional image of the Placer County Sheriff’s Office
Any male or female who meets these requirements may apply for this program.
Explorer Program Goals
It is the goal of the Placer County Sheriff’s Office to provide an effective law enforcement post for young adults. This is provided through the following experience areas. Career training in the area of law enforcement:
- Administrative Duties
- Annual Explorer Training Events
- Community Services
- Crowd Control
- Direct Traffic
- Field Trips
- First Aid
- Gain a Sense of Pride in Our Community and Country
- Laws of Arrest
- Leadership Training
- Learn Individual Responsibilities
- Local, Regional, and National Competition
- Patrol Procedures
- Ride-Along with Patrol Deputy
- Safety Fairs
- Social Activities
- Sports Events
- 6 to 9 p.m.
- Minimum of bimonthly
- Auburn Justice Center
2929 Richardson Drive
Auburn, CA 95603
Interested candidates should contact the Explorer Post to schedule an orientation session. Prospective candidates under the age of 18 years of age must have their parent/guardian’s permission to attend. At this orientation meeting an Explorer or Advisor will be available to explain the program, supply applications, and answer any questions. If you meet the minimum qualifications for an Explorer, you will be invited to compete in the selection process. The selection process consists of an oral interview and a background investigation.
For more information, please visit Placer Explorers
Some equipment and uniform costs are the responsibility of the explorer.