Attention: Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
Public Health aims to protect and improve the health of the community through health education, promotion of healthy lifestyles, disease and injury prevention, and eliminating health disparities. By promoting public health programs, we are able to develop and provide resources that protect the health of your family and community.
Public health professionals prevent problems from happening or re-occurring through implementing educational programs, developing policies, administering services, and promoting healthy human and environmental systems. Contrast that to clinical professionals, such as doctors and nurses, who focus primarily on treating individuals after they become sick or injured. Public health promotes health care equity and quality and seeks to limit health disparities and barriers to accessing health care.
- Children’s Medical Services: Coordinate medical services for children with certain diseases, and medical and dental services for children and foster children of qualifying families.
- Infectious Diseases: Everything from Tuberculosis, HIV, Flu, and more.
- Nursing: Nurses offer professional health care service to the community through in-home visits for children and adults.
- Pregnant and Parenting Teens: Case managers offer aid, advice and direction to pregnant and parenting teens and their children.
- Immunizations: Immunization locations, flu prevention, travel health and more.
- Vital Statistics: Birth registration, all burial permits, and medical marijuana cards.
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC): Eligibility, application, and information about the nutrition program for pregnant women, new mothers and young children.
The former Placer County medical clinics in Auburn and Kings Beach are now closed, and the county has selected Western Sierra Medical Clinic as the provider to accept Placer County patients. Learn more (PDF).
Public Health Laboratory
The former Public Health Laboratory in Auburn is now closed. View more information, including alternative locations for water and tick testing (PDF).