Purchasing Vital Records

The Vital Statistics Office will accept orders for Death Certificates for decedents who passed in the current or previous year only.

For all other requests of vital records, i.e. Birth Certificates, and Death Certificates for deaths prior to the previous year, please contact the Placer County Clerk-Recorder.

An authorized certified copy can be used to provide identity, and is only given to someone authorized to receive it. The law describes an authorized person as:

  • Attorney of Record
  • Authorized by way of Court Order
  • Child
  • For Death Certificates, a funeral director for official business
  • Grandparent/Grandchild
  • Law Enforcement/Government Agency for official business
  • Licensed Adoption Agency
  • Parent/Legal Guardian
  • The Registrant (Name on Certificate)
  • Sibling
  • Spouse/Domestic Partner

Order Forms