Environmental Health can investigate complaints about:

  • Chemical spills
  • Food poisoning
  • Garbage
  • Public pools or spas
  • Restaurants and other food facilities
  • Sewage on the ground
  • Sub-standard housing
  • Tattoo or body art shops

Food Poisoning

For food poisoning complaints please call Environmental Health directly at 530-745-2300. Please be prepared to provide a three day food history.

Submitting a Complaint

You may print out a copy of the complaint form (PDF) to fill out by hand or use our online form. You may submit this form by fax, mail, or in person at one of our offices. For a complaint to be formally lodged, we require the following:

  • Address
  • Phone number
  • Your name

Please also include the street address of the complaint, and the owner's name at the location. Complainant personal information is confidential, unless a subpoena requests the complaint form be submitted for legal process.

To submit a solid waste or nuisance complaint regarding a short-term rental property in the Tahoe region above 5,000 feet in elevation, please contact the Host Compliance Hotline at 530-448-8003. Short-term rental related complaints may also be submitted online at