Groundwater Monitoring Wells & Soil Borings

The Environmental Health Division, Hazardous Materials and Solid Waste Section issues permits for monitoring wells, cathodic protection wells, and exploratory soil borings for all areas of Placer County with the exception of the City of Roseville. The City of Roseville has separate permitting requirements and must be contacted if the wells or borings are to be drilled within city limits.

Monitoring wells and/or soil borings at recognized closed and active solid waste facilities should contact the Local Enforcement Agency.

Applying for a Well Permit

For monitoring well construction/destruction, cathodic protection wells and exploratory borings, submit a completed monitoring well permit application (PDF) along with the current fee (PDF). (Program Element Code for monitoring well installation/soil boring is 0945. Monitoring well destruction is 0946). 

Soil boring and monitoring well permit applications may be submitted electronically to the following email address:

Auburn Office: [email protected]

Tahoe Office: [email protected]

If you have any questions or require assistance with a Monitoring Well/Soil Boring application, please contact us.

Update the monitoring well permit application to the latest version which requests an email address for the consultant. 

State of California

Proper groundwater and cathodic well design standards can be found in the California Department of Water Resources California Well Standards Bulletin 74.