Soil Borings & Monitoring Wells

The Environmental Health Division, Hazardous Materials and Solid Waste Section issues permits for monitoring wells, cathodic protection wells, and exploratory soil borings for all areas of Placer County with the exception of the City of Roseville. The City of Roseville has separate permitting requirements and must be contacted if the wells or borings are to be drilled within city limits.

Monitoring wells and/or soil borings at recognized closed and active solid waste facilities should contact the Local Enforcement Agency.

Applying for a Monitoring Well Permit

For monitoring well construction/destruction, cathodic protection wells and exploratory borings, submit a completed Monitoring Well Permit Application along with the current fee. The application and fee list can be found on the Permits, Forms and Fees page. Click on arrow next to "Monitoring Well & Soil Borings" in the gray menu box on the left. 

Soil boring and monitoring well permit applications may be submitted electronically to the following email address: [email protected]

If you have any questions or require assistance with a Monitoring Well/Soil Boring application, please contact us.

State of California

Proper groundwater and cathodic well design standards can be found in the California Department of Water Resources California Well Standards Bulletin 74.