Underground Storage Tanks (UST)
Environmental Health conducts Underground Storage Tank (UST) permitting, construction plan checks, inspections, and tank closure activities. UST repairs, modifications and upgrades are classified into two categories:
- No permit required
- Work requiring a permit
These categories are determined by the scope of work and the need for a site inspection. For assistance in determining the classification of repairs to be made to your UST system please refer to the UST Installation Modification Repair Guide (PDF) or contact us.
UST Work Requiring a Permit
Prior to beginning work, you must submit a UST Permit Application (PDF-Fillable Form). UST permit applications may be submitted electronically to the following email address:
Environmental Health will perform a technical review of the proposal, which includes:
- At minimum, one site inspection
- Potential soil and/or ground water sampling
- Review of equipment to be used
- Review of contractor information
If the proposed work is approved, a UST Installation, Modification or Repair letter will be issued by Environmental Health to both the UST owner and the contractor. It will list site-specific construction and inspection requirements. Work may begin upon receipt of the approval letter.
NOTE: No UST construction activities can proceed until you receive the approval letter from Environmental Health.
- Please visit our Permits, Forms and Fees page for additional UST Facility Permit Applications and applicable fees. Click on Underground Storage Tanks in the left side menu.
- Current UST testing and report forms can be found here: https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/ust/adm_notices/repregs/
- Additional UST compliance documents can be found here: http://www.unidocs.org/hazmat/ust/index.html
- Current UST regulatory requirements can be found here: Underground Storage Tank Program | California State Water Resources Control Board
- If you have any questions or require assistance with Underground Storage Tank compliance requirements, please contact us.