Public Pools & Spas

Our Specialists inspect public pools and spas and investigate complaints regarding these facilities. If you would like to file a complaint with our office, please use our online form. If you would like more information on a particular facility that we inspect, please contact us.

If you are planning on opening or remodeling a Public Recreational Water Facility (pool, spa, spray park) please see our Permits, Forms and Fees page for required forms and useful information.

Virginia Graeme Baker Act

The Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Safety Act (VGBA) requires that main drain covers and pool return line covers meet certain standards for preventing underwater entrapment or evisceration due to suction. Access the following resources for more information:

Recreational Water Illness & Injury Prevention Week

The week prior to Memorial Day annually marks Recreational Water Illness and Injury (RWII) Prevention Week. This seasonal event is traditionally the start of the summer swim season. Following are several resources for the awareness of recreational water illnesses and healthy swimming practices: