Reporting Elder Abuse

An abused elder may be reluctant to report abuse because of the fear of retaliation, lack the physical or cognitive ability to report the abuse, or are afraid of the consequences of reporting their caregiver to the authorities. We need our neighbors and community members to look out for our elderly citizens. If you are concerned that someone is being abused, please report it.

There are several different ways to report elder abuse. Once you file a report with a law enforcement agency or Adult Protective Services, they will work with Placer County Providing Resources and Outreach to Elderly Citizens Together (PROTECT) to make sure that the appropriate agencies are notified and that the elder receives any required services.

Local Law Enforcement Agencies

If you suspect that an elderly citizen is a victim of abuse or neglect, contact your local law enforcement agency to file a report. You do not need to know for sure that a crime has been committed to call law enforcement and file a report. If the elder is in immediate danger or the abuse is severe, please call 911. If your report is not an emergency, please call the agency’s non-emergency reporting number:

  • Auburn Police Department
    Phone: 530-823-4237
  • Lincoln Police Department
    Phone: 916-645-4040
  • Placer County Sheriff’s Office
    Phone: 530-886-5375
  • Rocklin Police Department
    Phone: 916-625-5400
  • Roseville Police Department
    Phone: 916-774-5000

Adult Protective Services

If you are concerned about an elder who may be experiencing the following, please file a report with Adult Protective Services: 

  • Abandonment
  • Financial Abuse
  • Isolation
  • Mental Abuse
  • Neglect
  • Physical Abuse
  • Self-Neglect

Please note that anyone may file a report anonymously. A social worker can link the elder to community resources, involve family members, and alert law enforcement if there is evidence of a crime. You can report abuse 24 hours, 7 days a week by calling:

  • Phone: 916-787-8860
  • Toll Free Number: 888-886-5401

Long Term Care Ombudsman Program

If you would like to file a complaint against a long-term care facility, nursing home, residential care facility or assisted living facilities, please contact the Long Term Care Ombudsman Program. The Ombudsman is responsible for representing the residents at these facilities by investigating and resolving complaints.

  • Emergency Number: 800-231-4024
  • General Phone Line: 916-376-8910