Cottage Foods

The Cottage Food Act allows for certain state approved foods (PDF) to be prepared in home kitchens. Cottage Food Operations (CFO) must be registered/permitted through Placer County Environmental Health.

CFOs fall into one of two categories:

  • Class A may only sell their goods directly to the consumer at such locations as Certified Farmers Markets, temporary events, and community events.
  • Class B may also sell their goods directly to the consumer, or they may sell indirectly through a properly permitted third party retailer such as restaurants or markets.

Please see our permits, forms and fees page for permitting documents.