Food Distribution or Wholesaling

Food Processing or Canning

If you wish to prepare and package a food product for wholesale and/or distribution, you may be required to obtain a Processed Food Registration (PFR) and/or Cannery License with the California Department of Public Health Food and Drug Branch. The Food and Drug Branch (FDB) regulates the manufacturing, packing, processing, holding, and distribution of food products in California. California law requires that businesses obtain an FDB license, certificate, or registration for these activities.

Milk & Dairy Activities

Please be advised that all food facilities, even those with a permit from Environmental Health, must obtain proper licenses from the California Department of Food and Agriculture Milk and Dairy for either:

  • Preparing soft–serve ice cream, non-dairy frozen dessert or frozen yogurt
  • Repackaging milk and dairy products from their original containers for individual sale