State Food Processing Information

Food Processor

If you wish to prepare and package a food product and sell it to the general public, you may be required to obtain a Processed Food Registration and/or Cannery License with the California Department of Public Health Food and Drug Branch. The Food and Drug Branch (FDB) regulates the manufacturing, packing, processing, holding, and distribution of food products in California. California law requires that businesses obtain an FDB license, certificate, or registration for these activities.

Milk & Dairy Activities

Please be advised that all food facilities that provide the following shall obtain proper licenses from the California Department of Food and Agriculture Milk and Dairy Food Safety Services:

  • Provides soft–serve ice cream, non-dairy frozen dessert or frozen yogurt
  • Repackages milk and dairy products from their original containers for individual sale