Food Trucks & Trailers

Food Preparation

Food trucks and trailers can engage in full food preparation and typically involve hot holding of pre-cooked foods and may contain grills, griddles, fryers, or pizza ovens.

Whether you wish to operate a food truck or trailer, the requirements are the same. First the vehicle must be certified by California Housing and Community Development (HCD) as a special purpose commercial modular. Depending on the food served, the vehicle must contain most or all of the following:

  • Refrigeration at 41° Fahrenheit or below
  • Steam tables or other hot holding at 135° Fahrenheit or above
  • Dedicated handwash sink with soap and paper towel dispensers
  • 3-compartment sink with dual integral drainboards
  • 30 gallon potable water tank
  • 45 gallon wastewater tank
  • Minimum 4 gallon water heater (or tankless water heater capable of producing 120° Fahrenheit water at minimum 1gpm in all sinks)
  • Well stocked, up-to-date first aid kit
  • Exterior signage containing the business name in minimum 3 inch high lettering and city, state, zip, and name of the permittee (yourself) in minimum 1 inch high lettering
  • Properly mounted, up-to-date 10 rated fire extinguisher
  • Exhaust hood with fire suppression in compliance with UL300 (contact Fire Department with questions regarding this)

Contact Us

Please contact Environmental Health prior to making any financial investment in custom building a food truck or trailer, or purchasing one, especially from another State or County.