2018 Winery & Farm Brewery Ordinance Update
Description of Update
In the years since the 2008 Winery Ordinance was approved, industry concerns regarding the County’s existing Winery Ordinance had been raised, specifically citing a lack of Agricultural Promotional Events allowed without a use permit. Based upon the need to hold a greater number of events by right, staff determined that it was appropriate to re-examine the existing Winery Ordinance to meet the needs of the community and the winery owners. The Planning Commission previously held five workshops and one hearing between December 2013 and January 2016 in relation to the review and adoption of this Zoning Text Amendment. The workshops introduced and analyzed a variety of changes to the proposed ordinance. The key issues covered over the approximate two-year span are summarized in the list below. Public comments provided by the Placer County Vintners Association, Placer County Agricultural Commission, the Municipal Advisory Councils, and community members were taken into account in order to address the diversity of ideas on the subject.
Key Issues Identified During Planning Commission Workshops
- Alignment with Agro-Tourism effort
- Consistency with AB 1233, to address on-premise sale
- Maintenance of private roads
- Need for consistency, or lack thereof, to Event Center Ordinance
- Nuisance and road safety issues caused by events
- Number of events allowed/year
For more information about the previously held workshops, select the following links to read the staff report, and visit the Planning Commission archive for audio and visual of the workshop.
- June 13, 2013 (DOC)
- December 12, 2013 (PDF)
- July 24, 2014 (DOC)
- November 13, 2014 (DOC)
- February 26, 2015 (PDF)
- June 8, 2017 (PDF)
- Comment Period for Initial Study/Notice of Preparation (October 18 to November 16, 2017)
- Scoping Meeting (November 1, 2017)
- Public Review period for Draft Environmental Impact Report (April - May 2019)
- Presentation of draft ordinance to Municipal Advisory Councils (Summer 2019)
- Planning Commission Hearing (Summer 2019)
- Board Consideration of draft Zoning Text Amendments (Fall 2019)
For more information about the proposed ordinance or EIR process, please contact Nikki Streegan at (530) 745-3577.