Your Health Information Rights

The health and billing records we keep are the property of Placer County. You have the right to:

  1. Ask us not to share your health information in a manner listed above, by making a written request to our Privacy Officer. You also have the right to request that your health information not be disclosed to a health plan if you have paid for the services in full, and the disclosure is not otherwise required by law. The request for restriction will only be applicable to that particular service. You will have to request a restriction for each service thereafter. We may deny your request, but we will comply with any request that is granted.
  2. Obtain another paper copy of the Notice of Privacy Practices ("Notice") by making a written request to the Privacy Officer.
  3. (In most cases) inspect and obtain a paper or electronic copy your health and billing record - by asking our Privacy Officer in writing. You may be charged the cost of copying the records. You may appeal a denial of access to your protected health information except in certain circumstances. If you would like an electronic copy of your health information, we will provide you a copy in electronic form and format as requested as long as we can readily produce such information in the form requested. Otherwise, we will cooperate with you to provide a readable electronic form and format as agreed.
  4. Request a correction or amendment to your health care record by asking our Privacy Officer in writing. Your request may be denied if, for example, the information is not kept or created by us, or the file is accurate and complete. If the change is not made, you may file a Statement of Disagreement, which will become part of your health record.
  5. Receive an ‘accounting of disclosures,’ which is a list of times we have shared your health information after 4/14/03 by asking our Privacy Officer in writing. The list will not include internal uses of information for treatment, payment, operations, disclosures made at your request, or those to family members or friends in the course of providing care.
  6. Be notified if there is a probable compromise of your unsecured protected health information within sixty (60) days of the discovery of the breach. The notice will include a description of what happened, including the date, the type of information involved in the breach, steps you should take to protect yourself from potential harm, a brief description of the investigation into the breach, mitigation of harm to you and protection against further breaches, and contact procedures to answer your questions.
  7. Name a personal representative who may act on your behalf to control the privacy of your health information. Parents and guardians will generally have the right to control the privacy of health information about minors unless the minors are permitted by law to act on their own behalf.
  8. Ask our Privacy Officer, in writing, that we communicate with you only in writing or at a different address or phone number. We will agree if the request is reasonable.