Disaster Relief

  1. Description
  2. Frequently Asked Questions
  3. Forms & Resources

You may be eligible for tax relief if your property is damaged or destroyed by a calamity.  A calamity could be damage due to fire, flood, earthquake, storm, vehicle or other means of disaster through no fault of the property owner. To qualify, you may file an Application for Reassessment: Property Damaged or Destroyed by Misfortune or Calamity with the Assessor’s Office within 12 months from the date the property was damaged or destroyed. The loss must exceed $10,000 of current market value.

This property tax relief is available to owners of real property, business equipment and fixtures, orchards or other agricultural groves, and to owners of aircraft, boats, and certain manufactured homes – it is not available to property that is not assessable, such as state licensed manufactured homes or household furnishings.

For more information, please visit The California State Board of Equalization's Taxpayers' Rights Advocate Office Information Sheets on Property Tax Savings web page.